Skip navigation
newenglandhorse1
Currently Being Moderated

Image Trace problems

Jun 19, 2013 9:07 AM

I've been unable to get a faithful image trace in Illustrator CS6.

With the default settings, large amounts of detail are being lost from large 600dpi images.

I have tried adjusting the Threshold , Paths, and Corners, but either more detail is lost, or paths converge

This is extremely perplexing. I am unable to produce work to the professional standards I need.

Below I have uploaded respectively 1) the original 600dpi grayscale image, 2) the image traced in CS3 on default settings, 3) the same image traced in CS3 on default settings, and 4) the same image traced in CS6 with Threshold raised.

fruitplate-bitmap.jpgfruitplate-trace-cs3.jpgfruitplate-trace-cs6.jpgfruitplate-trace-cs3-hi.threshold.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 2:14 AM   in reply to newenglandhorse1

Image trace simply doesn't like those high-contrast black-and-white images. Leave a little more anti-aliasing along the lines and you'll get better results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:46 AM   in reply to newenglandhorse1

The algorithm has been changed and that's the downside of it, unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to newenglandhorse1

No, you're not the only one. Has been discussed some more times already.

The upside is that many templates are a lot easier to trace. Especially stuff like colored comic drawings. In many cases you won't need to touch the options.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to newenglandhorse1

Sorry for that.

What you can try and what might save you some work is to resample the placed file directly in Illustrator before tracing. scale it a little and convert to grayscale image via the Rasterize function.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points