Skip navigation
Janet Hosmer
Currently Being Moderated

Rapidweaver to Dreamweaver

Jun 19, 2013 8:34 AM

Tags: #rapidweaver

I have been using Rapidweaver for many years on multiple sites, and want to convert to Dreamweaver.

Is this possible?

Error prone?

Thanks!

Janet

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

May we please have a link to one of your sites to examine the code?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

HTML is just text. Any HTML page can be opened by DW since DW is really just a text editor (thus it can open javascripts, CSS, and many other types of files). If your Rapidweaver sites are just a collection of text files (and their associated dependent files) saved in a folder on your local hard drive, then all you would have to do is to define a DW site that points to that folder as its local root.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Be aware that DW is NOT a "Code-Free Creation" application (as Rapidweaver claims). You will be expected to bring some HTML and CSS familiarity to the DW desktop, or else your learning curve will tedious and frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

Wow! Over 26 stylesheets! So that's what makes Rapidweaver work...

Frankly, I'd take the site, consolidate all of the stylesheets into one just to start.

It didn't catch the fact that you have an ampersand in your title. That will fail W3C validation. You need to assemble that character by using the following: &

Rather than using styling, Rapidweaver chooses to insert styles inline. That is really bad practice.

I am confused by the following:

<span style="font:13px &#34;Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro&#34;,&#34;ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3&#34;,&#34;Osaka&#34;,&#34;MS Pゴシック&#34;,&#34;MS PGothic&#34;, sans-serif; color:#760101;"><br /></span>

Did you used to have Japanese characters on the page at one time? If so, when you took them out, it left a bunch of junk code.

I think you can salvage this, but it's really not compliant with W3C Standards.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

Yeah.  I have to agree with Mark.  This would require some work to make it web standards compliant.

It might be simpler to start over in Dreamweaver with one of the pre-built CSS Layouts.  Then simply copy & paste plain text content from old site to new site.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

Not sure you should salvage anything beyond the graphics and the raw copy.

I'd recommend starting over with a two-column template, possibly an RWD layout, a horizontal and a vertical menus, two or three SSi for header/menus/footer

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Janet Hosmer

Janet, here are a few consideraions:

• Every website needs a regular update or it becomes impossible to find in search (unless you are a current fan and know the exact name of the place).
    • Every organization or business needs someone who will help market that organization or business so that it will grow and not just stay static. Fail in that regard and the end result is oblivion.
    • Developing someone in your organization for marketing assures growth (or one less salary).

The site we looked at has a bookstore. Why wouldn't you want to monetize your site and have it sell books and other things that are in your bookstore? Having people who normally buy and stock shelves do fulfillment after an email comes in with a purchase does not add significantly to your costs and will add to your revenues. If an organization is making money, the organization can offer more to its members and to the public.

You may wish to hire a webmaster to do your sites. That would make them work and make them compliant. Or, you can learn Dreamweaver and do it yourself, but that takes a time committment that you decided to not make.

When you are doing your re-think, consider these things. You may come away with better solutions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points