Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multicam Editing in Premiere CC Issue

Jun 19, 2013 11:02 AM

Tags: #problem #error #issue #frame #premiere_pro #sequence #bug #clips #premier #project #timeline #multicam #premiere_cc

I downloaded th trial version in Premiere CC and try to edit a multicam project edit about 30 min of footage saved it and close Premiere CC after reopen each cut made on timeline start with the begining of video so like i had 3 cameras and all of them start recording on diferent time i got like black image all over and sometime when i had switched to the camer x what start recording 1st is showing the image

........ any help?

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Max Maximciuc

OK, I'm a little lost.  I'm going to need some punctuation, capitalization and proper grammer there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Not to mention what kind of footage it is, what frame rate, what operating system...

But I think that I have seen what you're seeing, if I understand you properly.

So, at each cut, what you see is not the video you expect to see, but the video from the very beginning of each camera's footage?

Has the video and sound gone out of sync as well? Do you get out of sync indicators on the timeline?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to Max Maximciuc

Don't worry Kraig, it's hard when you're trying to explain something in your second (or third, or fourth!) language.
    A screen capture would be very good to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 1:00 AM   in reply to Max Maximciuc

I am also having this glitch/bug. It is devistating to say the least.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC (Paid subscription)

Windows 7 64-bit

24GB DDR3 RAM (Page File Disabled)

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

3 monitors (GTX 550 Ti | 8800 GT)

Tracks are...

1080p 23.976 (MJPEG-A)

1080p 23.976 (H.264)

1080p 23.976 (H.264)

All video files, project files and auido files are coming from a project SSD that I always edit from.

After I save and reopen the project the audio and video clips reset to the beginning of the multi cam sequence at every edit. So all the edits are there... and from the looks of it they even change to the right angles that I set pior to the closing of the program.

Premiere Pro was saved and then closed. Not saved due to the closing diolog box. I already edited a rough edit of the multicam in this sequence from earlier when I made the project. It appears that the issue arised AFTER editing over the perviously edited multicam.

Let me know if I can give anymore information that could help trouble shoot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to Max Maximciuc

Yeah, thats the same issue I am having. Must have something to do with how the new method of Multicam sequences are handled and then saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

I'm having the same issue to. I have been cutting a long multicam sequenece for 3 days now.

2 cameras H.264

one AVCHD all 23.98 1080p with a seperate audio source.

Everything has been working great, overall I'm enjoying the updates to the multicam editing.

Then all of sudden I start the project up and midway through, the multicam viewer shows shots from the beginning of the multicam sequence. Is there a way to trash the preview files to make premiere refresh the multicam sequence? I have tried restarting the project 3 times, it still randomly shows the beginning with 2 angles black in the middle of the sequence. I also checked...I have all angles toggled ON in the nested sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to la_diamond

I never thought that it could be some kind of cache issue. I went back to an old auto save and exported the timelines I wanted to keep as .aaf files so I could import the edits into Premiere Pro CS6. I then had to copy and past the clips into a timeline with the proper sequence settings.

This might still be an option to you. I figured adobe wouldn't fix it by the end of the week so I had to lose out on 6+ hours of work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Well I found a really annoying workaround. For some reason exporting an aaf didn't work, I got a **** ton of errors.

I figured out it has something to do with the cuts. After a certian point, every cut just jumped to the very beginning. 2 of my angles are black at the very beginning because they all didn't start at the same time.

So I found the exact spot where it switched from reading the nested sequecence correctly to jumping back to the beginning. What I did was I put all the cuts from the bad spot forward up a track, then I extended the nested sequence out underneath all the cuts I had previously made. Then I mapped keyboard shortcuts to cut to each of the angles, highlighted V2, and I could see every cut and just quickly re-cut them to the correct angles in the exact same spot. It is time intensive...but better than losing a day of work....

Figure this out adobe! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to la_diamond

Do not close your app till the project is done and exported. You might not be able to import into Media Encoder either. Keep in mind the issue is now a known bug and recreateable. You may be pushing your luck by continueing to work within CC on a MultiCam sequence.

I got errors going into AAF but it imported fine. I think they were the adjustment layers and effects applied on them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Dag nabbit.  I use AVCHD so I had been waiting on an important multi cam edit (8 live songs, w/ 4-6 angles for a live music video) for a month because of CS6's issues with spanned AVCHD clips, and CS5 being not ideal for multi cam.  Now this, and a bunch of work lost... sigh.  I love Adobe overall, bugs happen in every new version of every new program.  I'm not mad or too upset with Adobe, just frustrated.  Especially after CS6 AVCHD debacle...  Ok, I'm a tiny bit mad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to MHoecker

Convert the AVCHD files and edit in CS6. It is a pain but better than nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

I hate transcoding, losing quality and taking time, but I could.  Luckily this one isn't terribly time sensitive.  It has to be done by August 10th.  So I'll wait a bit longer.  If I get to the middle of July and there's no fix or workaround, I'll just buck up and transcode or edit traditionally in CS5.  I've certainly done that.  But there's so much footage for this project, it's just going to be such a pain, it's worth it to wait and just pack the work in later.  It will hopefully still save me hours in the long run.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

I'm not clear on what exactly you're seeing once this bug bites. Let's take the simplest case: two camera angles, with MC1 from 0:00 to 5:00 and MC2 from 5:01 to 10:00. Do you end up with the multicam sequence showing only content from one angle (that would be MC1 from 0:00 to 10:00)? Or does each cut revert to the beginning of that source (so MC1 from 0:00-5:00, then cutting to MC2 but showing 0:00-5:00 instead of 5:01-10:00)? [For the record, I watched Kraig444's video several times, but that didn't help. Sorry if I'm being dense ;-] Or is it something else entirely?

Is this happening in the sequence in which the multicam sequence was originally edited, or have you nested the sequence into another sequence? [Be advised that we recently found a bug that sounds similar to this: inserting a sequence containing a multicam segment into another sequence with the new Insert&Overwrite option set to "as individual clips" results in all camera angles reverting the MC1. The workaround: with multicam sequences, choose the "Insert as Nests" option.]

When you created the multicam sequence, what options did you select? What did you use as the sync point? Any audio offset? What Audio settings?

MarkDLeach: When you say "the issue [arose] AFTER editing over the previously edited multicam," do you mean that you created and edited the MC sequence; saved, closed, and reloaded the project; then did further edits on the MC sequence? If so, how exactly did you make the second editing pass? Through the Program Monitor's Multi-Camera mode? Rolling edits in the Timeline? ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Hi Mark. Here are some screen shots to help illustrate what is happening to me.

This first screen shot is from the very beginning of my MC timeline TC 0:00:00:00

1.png

then I'm doing my thing, cutting between angles and it looks likes this at 00:37:55:072.png

Then the very next frame/cut at 00:37:55:08, it jumps back to looking like 00:00:00:00

3.png

This bug popped up after I had cut all day, shut down and started back up. When I started the project up, this all of a sudden started to happen, so I have 45 min of edits in the cut that all look like 00:00:00:00 at the beginning of the cut.

I synced the 3 cameras and audio with pluraleyes and then hand synced a lot of it, then nested the video and enabled multicam and trashed the camera audio.

Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 4.46.37 PM.png

I'm not inserting any other multicam shots, it is an event that I am just cutting straight through. Within the nested sequence everything is ON, and matching back to the TC in the nested sequence it looks fine, it is just within the sequence that I have been editing in where I enabled the nested sequence to be MC.

Hope that clarifies my issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to la_diamond

Thanks, la_diamond. That makes the issue considerably clearer to me. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, so I must be missing some key step or element. That's not too surprising given that I'm not very well versed in the multicam feature set and its workflows. I'll call this to the attention of my colleagues who know this area inside-out and backwards.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Hope this video helps. It shows how to recreate the issue. (Just noticed the compression was a bit harsh. I am uploading a higher bitrate one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvgKRemjEuo&hd=1

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Updated Video (Higher Bitrate Upload)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynsgQ8jyADQ&hd=1

Also here is a copy of the project from the video I linked.    

https://creative.adobe.com/share/dd37749e-2fa0-4495-88f3-bb1270d72777

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Yes, this is what is happening to me. I think you're right in that it happens if you go back and edit the multicam sequence again. If I mess up an edit, I'll often go back before the mess up and restart the recording of edits right before the mess up and continue from there. It could be this mutiple recordings that is causing the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to la_diamond

I'm also seeing the same multicam issue and it is described accurately by la_diamond, where the clip resets to the first cut point.

ETA: Also agree with poster above that it looks like the problem is if you want to re-cut a multicam sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Thanks for your demo video.  Exactly what I'm experiencing and gave me some clarification on my own issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:24 PM   in reply to MHoecker

Thanks all, especially la_diamond and MarkD. With your guidance, I have a good handle on the bug. What's more, it turns out, it was a known issue. (My bad for not catching that earlier. Sorry.)

Before someone askes when a fix will be available, it's policy not to make any promises about bug fixes or discuss the timing of patches.

edited: As a workaround, after saving and closing an edited multicam sequence, we recommend making subsequent edits through the Timeline rather than the Program Monitor's Mullticam mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Really hope it gets fixed before more people have to find out the hard way.  Thanks for the help Mark Mapes. Is there a database of bugs that little pions like us can look at so we don't spend time asking around if others have X issue in the future?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 12:19 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Seems like this thread is the same issue just in different words: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1237142?tstart=0

Sadly, I found out the hard way. I'm another lost soul that was bit by this bug. And on my first day of editing with Premiere Pro CC after using CS6 since last fall. Day one and I already have to shelve the new software til it's fixed. So sad. Makes me really wonder actually how this was never caught and solved in all the time leading up to the release given that if you make any adjustments to your multicam that rewrite any previous multicam edits, then save and reopen the project the issue pops up. Seems like a pretty huge bug to look over or miss.  If it was "known" then how can you justify releasing it? It essentially cripples this feature rendering it almost useless.

The bug occurs whenver you go back and "re-edit" or "re-write"...as in hit play and make new cuts as it plays OVER previous edits that you made on a multicam sequence. Simply start any multicam edit, make a few cuts. Stop...go back a bit and hit play and redo some of those cuts in the multicam window (which will overwrite the previous cuts you made). Now save, close and reopen...and there you have a screwed up sequence just like the above videos show.

This is very disappointing. Multicam is broken in Premiere Pro...again. Sad.

Mark Mapes wrote:

edited: As a workaround, after saving and closing an edited multicam sequence, we recommend making subsequent edits through the Timeline rather than the Program Monitor's Mullticam mode.

The caveat here is you must NEVER re-do ANY of your previous edits before you EVER save and close. So if you stop a multicam midway (even on your first time throught it) and decide you want to re-do the previous edits, DO NOT DO IT using the program monitor's multicam window. You now have to use the rolling edit tool to adjust your previous cuts. If you go back, hit play and write over any previous edits the way you're "supposed to" using the multicam window then you're screwed upon reopening your project. This is gonna be fun to see how long it takes for Adobe to fix their broken editing program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to DMH79

I think this was missed because of the closed beta.  It should have launched with a Public Beta logo next to if it hasn't been tested. Keep in mind this program just launched. I just would have thought it would have had an open Beta rather than public release with out warning. I feel like the last few releases of CS had public betas. Maybe I am wrong though.

Lesson learned. Do not use Adobe's software on launch with out waiting for bug fixes. I hope next year's guinnie pigs don't make the switch so foolishly like we did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:46 AM   in reply to MarkDLeach

What are the white triangles at each camera switch after doing the steps to create the bug? I have other sequences in my project that have been switched once and don't have those white triangles even after reloading the project several times. Do those show up only when you overwrite the inital camera switch and what do they represent? Usually those triangles are only at the beginning and end of an entire sequence.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2204694/NoTriangles.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2204694/Triangles.png

Funny thing is that my triangles started out like the ones in the video above but are now half of that to the right side only so what is the differences bewteen the two types of triangles?

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:47 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

Those triangles are to let you know that is the beginning of the clip. Meaning thats where your sequence has now started over. They are useful for at a glance knowing if there is more pior to the edit point. CS6 has them but they were darker and I believe smaller. 

Premiere Pro CC has added plenty of updates to the timeline that it takes a bit to notice them all. I think Adobe put out a video showcasing all the new UI and feacher changes within the timeline panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Well, if you go back and do a new switch over the triangles they get erased and the timeline plays correctly without the timecode being reset to 0 at each switch. So these triangles are a big problem since Premiere thinks it it the beginning of the clip anywhere there is a triangle. Still curious about the difference between the two type of triangles. Actually, those are two triangles back to back making it look like one triangle. Get rid of those triangles and there is no problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2204694/ErasedTriangles.png

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

So I was able to crash Premiere by flattening the a section of the switch with the triangles. It had no problem flattening the switch but when I hit the Undo button a Premiere Error window popped up and forced me to close the program. Actually, I couldn't get the program closed so I had to restart my computer to forced it to close, Task Manager wouldn't close it.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

I think this problem is being worked on by Adobe according to the 24th post by Mark Mapes. I would either make a new thread about this other related bug or it could get overlooked. Fixing problem A might also solve problem B though. Might be worth moving that to a seperate post. Hopefully Mark Mapes can give some input on that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to MarkDLeach

Looking back at some of my CS6 Multicam projects, they do have the triangles at the beginning and end of the entire sequence but never at the camera switch points so this is not a new feature in CC. I would assume that those triangles are meant to show the beginning and end of a sequence not a clip.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Max Maximciuc

I just got blindsided by this bug myself. I was working on a client project last night and polishing up a few multicam edits and when I opened it up for the client this morning I had a 3+ hour timeline rendered completely useless. Every clip starting from the beginning of the sequence it was referring to with those blasted white triangles there to let me know. This just cost me a ton of money and embarassed me in front of my client; I had nothing to show them.

This kind of bug on a major release is outrageous Adobe. One of the major features that's advertised and I depend on every day essentially doesn't work. I now have to go back to CS6 and redo the entire project, and for the first time in years I'm seriously considering jumping ship from Adobe to another NLE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to dan e f

This bug is awful. Shocking actually because it's not a small little thing and it's not hard to reproduce. Dan e f, one thing you can try to do is copy the original clips to the layers above your current destroyed multicam. Now select only the original video clips and right-click and nest. Then right-click and multicam>enable. Now make cuts that line up with your original destroyed multicam sequence. Now go back and put the cursor over each clip and click on the appropriate camera angle to change each cut.

The fact that you have to do this is a total joke but as it stands right now Multicam in Premiere Pro CC is broken so you have no other choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to dan e f

This might have been what DMH79 suggested, but just wanted to share what I did that saved me

I took the bad MC and placed it on track 2 and put a good uncut MC on track 1. Then I made sure my keys were mapped so I could easily "cut to angle x". Then making sure V2 was highlighted, I went through my cut and just recut the bottom track. I had over 2 hours cut, and recutting it this way took me about 10 min.

Screen Shot 2013-06-21 at 10.09.11 AM.png

After you do this, just make sure not to recut by "recording" in the multicam window, make any changes needed in the timeline instead (roll/changing angles).

I totally agree that this is a pain, but at least I didn't lose days of work this way. For me, trying to import my complicated timeline to CS6 wasn't working.  I'm pretty sure they will have this fixed in the first patch released.

good luck, hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to la_diamond

Thanks! I'm going to give this a try later today.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to dan e f

Better hope the timeline exports correctly after all that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Cavemandude

Might be smart to make a duplicate of the timeline and flatten it before export.

clip -> multicamera -> flatten commits all the angle choices.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points