Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with pan and zoom on a rotated clip

Jun 19, 2013 11:29 AM

I'm using P.E.11 in Windows. I shot the video with an iPhone 5.  I converted it to MP4 then added it to the timeline.  It came in upside down.  So I rotated it back to right side up.  Everything is fine. 

But when I go to Pan and Zoom, the clip is upside down in the window (the window in which you place the frames).  It is right side up on the Pan and Zoom timeline, but because it's upside down in the window, it's impossible to place frames.

When I preview the clip (or play output), still in the Pan and Zoom window, it plays right side up.  But in this mode, I cannot place frames.  I can only place frames out of the Preview mode while the clip is upside down.  Which is impossible. 

Is there help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindy,

What is the orientation of this iPhone to .mp4 convert in its hard drive save location before it ever gets into Premere Elements?

How are you adding the .mp4 to the Project Assets....Add Media/Files and Folders or other?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindy,

This an interesting one and therein resides your issue and the target for the fix.

If I look at them in their folders on my computer, they look upside down

1. In this case, the Pan and Zoom Tool references the file orientation on its hard drive save location and not the file on the Timeline.

You can prove that to yourself in several ways. The quickest is to apply a tint effect to your Timeline content and then open the Pan and Zoom workspace. What you see there is the untinted version. And, the question does come up "Do you really want to be apply a Pan and Zoom Effect with video instead of stills. You might be better served by using Applied Effects/Motion Pan expanded and using its Scale for Zoom and Position for Pan.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSeffff8bffc802084- 494411db12fd35452dd-8000.html

2. The basic matter of upside down versus correct view when the file gets to Windows Explorer has a history especially with iPhone and how the cell phone camera is held. I will not go into that.

3. If you had a still in Windows Explorer, you have the option to rotate it there before import into Premiere Elements, and the Pan and Zoom tool will honor whatever orientation you select. But, you do not have rotation options for video that is saved to Windows hard drive. That needs to be done in the video editor.

If you insist on the Pan and Zoom Tool, then two possibilities would be:

a. Correct the orientation of the video before it gets to the computer and or computer hard drive save location.

b. Import your video to rotate it, after rotation export it, and then reimported the correctly oriented video into your project.

Consider the path of the video from the iPhone to outside the iPhone...

a. if you take the original iPhone video and save it to the computer hard drive, is it up side down?

b. is this upside down version only after the conversion to .mp4...if so, look into the conversion process.

Until proven otherwise, the above is my take on what you presented.

Looking forward to your observations.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

That is great news.

But that was a very, very interesting observation that you made. Great contribution.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points