Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Packaging InDesign files

Jun 19, 2013 12:23 PM

I have an InDesign file that has a bleed. When I packaged the file, the Report text file listed Bleed as being zero. ln Document Setup the bleed is 1/4 inch on all 4 sides. The only way I was able to get the correct bleed setting to show in the report file was to go to File > Print, take the check off of Use Document Bleed Settings, and type in the bleed.

Why would the correct bleed not be listed in the Report file if the document set up has a bleed setting?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to jay fresno

As far as I can see, the only place that Bleed appears in the report file is in the PRINT SETTINGS section, and all it's doing is reporting the print settings from the last time you printed the file. It doesn't reflect the actual bleed settings that are defined in the document.

-Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:39 AM   in reply to jay fresno

I'm curious why this bothers you so much. It might be a bug, but really, it's just the package report, and I'm not sure that it makes any difference if the bleed is not listed correctly as long as the file opens correctly. Are you concerned you will send this package out and some printer will read the report and presume you have no bleed, perhaps printing or quoting incorrectly?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to jay fresno

Question 1 is why you would send native files instead of PDF.

Aside from that, I don't think I've ever met a printer who looked at the package report to see if bleed was included (if they looked at all), though I suppose there might be some out there. If you've sent native files the prepress guy has to open them, no matter what, so he's going to instantly see bleeds, missng links, and missing fonts. There's really nothing in the report that I think I would have found useful to read beforehand when I was doing prepress, other than contact info, and that's supposed to be on the job ticket (along with the color and bleed specs) from the take-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to jay fresno

I think what happens when Use Document Bleed Settings is selected at print time, InDesign looks at the Document Setup "on the fly." It doesn't actually enter any values in the bleed boxes, so there's nothing there that gets saved with the document. When you enter the values yourself, the settings become a fixed part of the print output dialog and are saved with the document.

If it helps: in all the years I've received packaged InDesign files from clients, I have never once paid attention to the "Print Settings" section of the report; there's nothing there that's relevant to the printer (that's me!).

Maybe a good feature request would be to eliminate the Print Settings in the report and list the Document Setup values instead.

One last thing: there may be a good reason for you to send the packaged native files to your printer, but the best workflow (if possible) would be to export a PDF for the printer and not bother with the packaged InDesign files at all.

-Bill

Edit: Mr. Spier beat me to it!

Message was edited by: Bill Byers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points