Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 5 slideshow shows a black screen

Jun 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Tags: #slideshow #lightroom_5

When I preview or play a slideshow in Lightroom 5 I see a black screen. I've tried it using various settings, images, lengths, and with the show saved or unsaved, all with the same result. In a preview I can see the show advancing through the slides; all remain black.

Sometimes (unpredictably) the screen isn't black, but rather two colors or color washes separated diagonally.

There are no videos in the shows. (A black screen for a slideshow with a video as the first slide is a known issue mentioned in the Lightroom Journal.)

Exporting to pdf works properly. An exported video shows as a black screen.

(Mac Pro, OS X 10.7.5, Radeon X1900 XT video card)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to johngersh

Same here! And I can't get rid of the black screen, to the point where I have to restart Lightroom to get rid of it.

(iMac, OS X 10.8.4,

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB video card).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to johngersh

Same problem. WIndows 7, 64bit, 16gig ram, 8TB, PC. First thing blank black screens (it blanks both, as if to start showing the show, then nothing else happens). When pulling up an old slideshow or after creating a new one. I upgraded my video card drivers, just in case. But hangs there. ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series. Help! This is the way I review all my work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to johngersh

How many photos are you using in the slideshow?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to fleping

1 to 907. Doesn't matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to johngersh

Would you please try to create a totally new catalog and add photos in it ? Then create a new slideshow to check whether this problem is resolved. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to johngersh

I just upgraded to Lightroom 5 from the beta.  Same issue (all black screen with an occasional flicker).  This is beyond annoying - it seems kind of obvious.  Is there a resolution yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 1:46 AM   in reply to johngersh

Same fore me on my desktop. And i installed the program on my laptop and there it is working perfect. (installed it from the same download)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to Rene Nicolaes

I also have the "Sldeshow Black Screen of Death" issue. Tried the create a new catalogue idea, didn't work.

Not knowing this was an issue, tried to do a slidehow in front of a group of people recently and of course, nothing. :-(

I noticed this post was started over a month ago. Hope this gets resolved soon.

(mac 10.7.5 fwiw)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Photobrains

I also have the "Sldeshow Black Screen of Death" issue. Tried the create a new catalogue idea, didn't work.

Not knowing this was an issue, tried to do a slidehow in front of a group of people recently and of course, nothing. :-(

I noticed this post was started over a month ago. Hope this gets resolved soon.

(mac 10.7.5 fwiw)

My computer has a  ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB card.

I wonder if this has been resloved in the 5.2RC ?

p.s. This slideshow problem doesn't appear in my other i7 chip computer fwiw.......

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to johngersh

Pooh. I was hoping for a fix by now. Seems like a very fundimental problem. I have been creating pdf Slide shows and showing those. Not prefered, as it is more disk space, and is external with a set resolution. I am doing it at screen resolution 2056 *1600.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to johngersh

The problem still there after 5.2. Slideshow of ~40k of photos: impossible, filtered down to ~4k: impossible, to ~500: possible, although extremely slow to start. It all worked fine (if a bit slow) in previous versions. Win 7 64bit SP1, 18GB RAM, GTX 660.  Regards m.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to johngersh

I was having the same issue until I adjusted the timing in the Playback section then it started to work. It seems leaving everything set to the default may have been causing the issue. I created a 274 image slideshow, dropped the Slides timing to 3.5 seconds and the Fades to 1.5 seconds and it now works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to johngersh

Same here with LR 5.2, NVIDEA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Driver 327.23, WIN7 X64, 32 GB RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to fleping

I tried it too. Even with a new catalog I´ve a black screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to johngersh

Problem exists since June and still not fixed? Is there no workaround for it?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to johngersh

I too have this issue. The slideshow has not worked in any version of Lightroom 5 from the beta up through 5.2. I even tried the new calatlog thingy described above to no avail.

Mac Pro - dual 3GB Quad core Xeon processors, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.5 and a Radeon 1900XT video card.

What annoys me the most is no acknowledgement from Adobe on the problem and no fix at all.

Lightroom 4 slideshow works fine, Lightroom 5 does not. What gives here, Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:22 AM   in reply to TJAsher

I'm having this problem in my trial period of 5.3.  Shutting LR down and reopening seemed to resolve it, for now at least.

Adobe . . . do you care?  It looks like the problem was there in 5.1, and is still there in 5.3.  It will certainly factor into my decision whether to purchase the upgrade from 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 12:37 PM   in reply to johngersh

I had the same problem with my Windows System. My Windows Login User Name was (René van der Voorden) before and contains a special charakter (the french é). The Slideshows option only shows a black screens. Now I created a new User called (RVDV) with no special characters  like (é). Now Slideshows are working fine. Maybe this will also help with the MAC?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 12:44 PM   in reply to JDLightroom

I had the same problem with my Windows System. My Windows Login User Name was (René van der Voorden) before and contains a special charakter (the french é). The Slideshows option only shows a black screens. Now I created a new User called (RVDV) with no special characters  like (é). Now Slideshows are working fine. Maybe this will also help with the MAC?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 12:45 PM   in reply to TJAsher

I hope Adobe will fix this bug. It´s present at least since V5.0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 8:23 PM   in reply to EMSI68219

Thanks a lot. Now I can reproduce this issue with special characters user name. We will try to fix this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 8:12 AM   in reply to EMSI68219

Thank you René, for me in Windows is this the solution. Now waiting until Adobe fix the problem because it is a lot work to put al my work in a new account.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)