Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CC Actions

Jun 19, 2013 12:51 PM

Tags: #illustrator #actions #cc

In all previous versions of Illustrator I had saved Actions. One Action that saved as a PDF into a certain folder. In Illustrator CC the location in the Script isn't remembered in the action. It is there when I create the Script and it works fine. But as soon as I quit and open Illustrator again, the scripts don't work. When I run them, it asks me for the save location.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to spderry

I cannot help you, but I'd like to know if some other CC racers can confirm what you reported.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to spderry

Is it an action or a script? Or an action that contains a script?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

...ah, none of the regulars have hinted they joined the CC, from what I can remember reading...maybe Wade? or Monika? did.

...but I'd like to know if some other CC racers can confirm what you reported.

other CC racers here have questions not answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Nothing but questions I was wrong about the cloud it is a good idea but not in the hands of Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

Nothing but questions I was wrong about the cloud it is a good idea but not in the hands of Adobe.

...coming from you, great comment. thanks for posting Wade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

CarlosCanto wrote:

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

...coming from you, great comment. thanks for posting Wade.

Yes that is interesting. However not so much surprising that your experience has been less than expected, I mean just look at the cloud forum, not much positive happening from users. Sad, I guess the marketing team over did things some. It was a great pitch, just not worthy of all the claims.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to W_J_T

Adobe has created a myth that so-called "cloud computing" is somehow synonymous with subscription-based licensing.

Make no mistake; Adobe's so-called "Creative Cloud" is all about subscription revenue.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to spderry

I'm seeing this behavior as well, with multiple users, and I've tried turning off Cloud Sync. Every time we close AI, the actions deteriorate. It is also different from user to user.

We've had some success re-recording and saving in CC so far.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive fix for this, aside from rebuilding everything?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 1:58 AM   in reply to spderry

I have exactly the same problem. Deactivating the Sync didn't help. Any other idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 4:28 AM   in reply to spderry

what is the point of saving to the cloud if you can't sync your actions or keyboard shortcuts....this is frustrating. I tried to turn off sync but mine won't let me. Have you had any more luck?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to spderry

Mine is grayed out and i can't turn it off...please help

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to tschmidtinart

If it's greyed out, it is turned off.

And it appears that even if it's turned off, the behavior doesn't stop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to spderry

This is frustrating, i saved my set of actions thinking that might help and it didn't. I do like this i use actions ALL the time and i don't have time to re-write them everyday.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 5:05 AM   in reply to tschmidtinart

You shouldn't have to re-write or re-record them every day.

If you save them and on each subsequent loading of AI, if you trash the current (corrupted) set, then re-load them, it should load them correctly. All steps will be present, all keybindings will be accurate/functional...

That's what's been working for us. It's a waste of time to re-load them, to be sure, but at least they work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

thanks joseph, reloading seemed to work...that is way better than re-writing everyday

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to spderry

I am also having this issue! All of my key commands associated with my actions use the function keys. I noticed that even though I have my own set of keyboard shortcuts the default shortcuts with function keys always turn back on even though I have them deleted in my own set. For example, the color panel has a default shortcut of f6 which I have to delete so I can reassign that to one of my actions. I wonder if this has a hand in corrupting the actions! Even when I load my saved actions back in I have to reassign my keyboard shortcuts everytime and only after I delete the default keyboard shortcuts! So frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to knealis

I don't think that would be the case, but it is possible.

First, a few details:

- Actions can ONLY be bound to F keys (it's a drop-down system), so the conflict there, with default shortcuts, is obv.

- In past versions, those never had to be un-bound to work

For my teams, I unbound all of the default Shortcuts that wer bound to F keys.

Our Actions and our Shortcuts keep their key bindings, so that's not consistent with the problem you're seeing... But I feel you, it's still mad frustrating.

No idea if other AI users are watching this like I am- but InDesign got an update in the last few weeks that consisted of "Bug Fixes" and PS got an update in the last few days, with, instead of just RAW updates... wait for it... BUG FIXES!

So I am REALLY hoping that AI is next on the list... Because at this point, it really really needs it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

Productivity is down the tubes and soon I will need anger management! Hope that update comes quickly! Thanks Joseph.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to knealis

Honestly, it feels a lot like they've fallen back on the new CC model to push out a much more raw/unrefined version of AI than ever before.

We're doing OK with productivity overall for now, but if this performance continues, it will take a lot of effort to keep my teams moving.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

So, a thing that we've seen some success with, which is kind of an odd scenario, is this:

On a "fresh" install (and "fresh" profile) in AI, leaving the set called "Default Actions" in place and then LOADING your own custom actions in (by loading them as a separate set), it apparently will not cause any degredation.

We've tried this and it looks like it may work- but I can't really be sure at this point. We will be testing more soon. If anyone can confirm this, that would be really helpful for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

We've just recently upgraded to CC and I'm a new hire, so I had no previous actions saved - I made new ones in AI CC and I never made them in the Default Actions set. A separate set has no efffect. It happens randomly and on some steps in some actions, and not on the same steps in other actions. Examples are Set Color, had been "Fill Color R:0 G:0 B:0" upon relaunch becomes "R:0 G:0 B:0" and returns an error when running the action: "the object Set Color is not currently available" - but it's happening with many different steps, such as: Move, Layer, Set Color, Transform. Obviously a serious bug and has NOTHING to do with SETS or with PREVIOUS VERSIONS.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Troy Monroe Stacey

So, this is obviously a work-around and somewhat untested at this point, but we've seen success with the method I reported earlier.

1. Load AI as normal (on first load, basically)

2. Open the Actions Panel

3. Leave the "Default Actions" in place
    - this does NOT mean simply leaving the file in places in the .../Presets/en_US/Actions folder

- the "Default Actions" .aia file is in place automatically, so long as nothing else has been changed

4. Load other sets, as needed (other .aia files)
    - here, our action sets are well-established... they were re-saved for CC without much change from CS6
    - they contain between 6 and 20 actions, per set

On re-starting AI or re-starting the computer and re-loading AI, everything that was loaded stays in place. The individual parts of actions continue to work and no steps are "lost".

I have tested this on 3 machines so far with some success. I have 5 "testers" working through this today, who will ultimately put the application and this work around thorugh its paces in a much more thorough manner. Within a week, I'll be able to report more definitively on the success of this work around.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

i have had this same issue for months and hopefully, thanks to Joseph Nicolia, i have found a fix. so far so good. thanks a million!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 3:49 PM   in reply to bluchair

Glad to have provided the information- I cannot take full credit though, as one of my colleagues stumbled upon this solution- we're still testing, but I'm pretty confident the work around will suffice for most users.

This reminds me a lot of old, glitchy computer games and desktop software- where if you don't follow a PRECISE chain of setup/interaction, the program or system fails. It seems really really sloppy, Adobe...

Anyway, I hope this helps folks who are as heavily reliant on this sort of thing as we are. : )

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

I have tried all the steps and have had no luck.  Tried contacting customer support and they told me they do not offer support on actions/scripts.  They are of no help.  I moved all of my artists PC's to Cloud so we are covered from a support side of things and they tell me this....Its trully frustrating. Wish there was another software company out there to go to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to GeoMorales

Here's the problem:

Adobe does not support actions/scripts.

The malfunction is twofold, as far as I can tell:
    - There is a problem with the system that LOADS and RUNS actions/scripts
    - There is a problem with the AI preferences/profile/user data that prevents the actions from running correctly.

So, while this IS an issue with actions and scripts, it's not. Adobe should recognize that, but depending on how we frame it (repeatedly), they may or may not continue to ignore it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to spderry

I am experiencing this bug, too. I made a video of it:

Tried contacting customer support and they told me they do not offer support on actions/scripts.

Are they actually implying the problem is with your actions, and not a bug in the program? idiots!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to KrisHunt

I am having this problem consistently. The solutions offered by spderry and Joseph Nicolia are not working for me. What does work is a kludge. When I start up illustrator CC, I have to delete all of my actions and reload them; otherwise, they are corrupted from the state they were in the previous session. Two very specific examples of data being lost are (1) folder locations for export commands, and (2) settings (such as the percentage) for the Path-->Simplify command. This is a really annoying functionality regression from Illustrator CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to hjespersen

It's been 5 months since I initially posted. No changes.

Are we missing something?

Is there some means to report this elsewhere?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

On another Illustrator CC issue, I went to

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html and started out with a chat session.

It took somewhat of a long time, but the chat operator eventually

escalated it to engineering, they contacted me, and a formal trouble

ticket was created. (That particular ticket was addressed in release

17.0.1, although they have not completely fixed the problem I reported.)

The good thing about chat is that you can occupy yourself with other

tasks while you are waiting.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to Joseph Nicolia

There's always the bug report form.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to KrisHunt

Thanks, I did not know about that form. I have submitted a bug report, although the system informs me that they will probably not respond, so we will see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 9:51 AM   in reply to hjespersen

I just upgraded to illustrator CC 17.1 and this problem with actions is still present. I define actions, and save them. After restarting Illustrator, details of those actions are not being retained. (One example of many: I have an action that simplifies a path to 100% accuracy. When illustrator restarts, it has lost the percentage value. Another example: I have an export action to a particular folder, and the location of the folder is lost after restart.) When I delete all actions and reload from the saved file, the actions work correctly. However, this requirement to delete all actions and reload them for each session is a pain in the neck. I do not have cloud syncing enabled (and I don't see from the Preferences menu that actions are mentioned anyway).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 9:55 AM   in reply to hjespersen

I just got a reply from a developer about this very issue today. They will look into it.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points