Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

slight delay when clicking on a menu

Jun 19, 2013 8:31 PM

obviously it's not big of a deal with small projects , but its quite annoying with working on

AE for stright 4 hours i had make a small video to show you what's

happening

http://www.dropbox.com/s/7ohljifj353sb96/AE_Issue.avi

a slight ( 1-2 secnods ) deley till the menu appears , its isntant in other CC apps

anyidea why is this happening ?

am windows 7

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to JosefBsharah

Thanks God, someone else with this problem. I mean, I am not happy you're experiencing it, but because I am not alone in this. In my case it's even worse. Sometimes everything works perfectly fine, and sometimes I need to wait like 2 seconds after clicking for menus to even open.

Same goes for some shortcuts on timeline, for example when I press U and want to reveal all keyframes on some specific layer, it's usually very fast, but sometimes it's slow as molasses.

I have to repeat, none other CC application is giving me this problem. AE CC only.

My PC configuration if it helps any (Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, 64-bit OS):

1) Video card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready

2) Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Unlocked

3) Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 1600MHz DDR3, SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-Ch Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI

4) Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - DDR3, 1600MHz, 2x8GB, CL10, 240 Pin, DIMM

5) Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power Supply - 750 Watts, ATX, 140mm Fan, 80 Plus Bronze, SLI Ready, Active PFC

6) Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

7) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler R2, Intel 2011/1366/1156/1155/775 and AMD FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to JosefBsharah

Wwell, in your video it's clear that you have enbaled Windows' own tablet/ pen support and the menus thus align left. Try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:08 PM   in reply to SashaPP

Same as before: You probably need to fiddle with the touch/ tablet settings in Windopws itself.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I have never ever touched pen/tabled on my machine, let alone have anything installed. That's not the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to SashaPP

Just saying.... With that out of the way, I'd check the GPU accelertation stuff in the prefs and turn it off. If there's a conflict with Windows' own hardware acceleration for drawing windows and otehr UI elements, AE may not be able to do its thing properly...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Hi,

Thanks for staying with us and trying to find a solution for this problem. Yes, I tried both, hardware acceleration as well as without it. I have nVidia GTX 560 Ti (CUDA enabled). Unfortunately, same results.

Another thing... I just checked After Effects here in our studio on another machine, this time iMac late 2007. After Effects works perfectly fine, and even though there are some intermittent shut downs of some apps like MUSE, After Effects CC works flawlesly on our Macs.

Unfortunately, not the case with PC machines

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to SashaPP

Do you use a customized Windows theme? Lots of fonts? A custom DPI setting? A very high-res monitor? It seems that the High-DPI support in CC apps for Retina & Co. has led to a resurgence of some ugly font/ UI related bugs...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Standard Windows 8 theme here. Fonts only ones that come with Windows since this is brand new machine (1 month old). Monitor is HDMI 1920x1080 (Full HD), not very high as you can see from this.

I've tried everything to no avail (computer technician by profession and working as Senior Animator last 6 years). What's puzzling, every single other CC app works great, not a single issue here on my end.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Mylenium

I actually remember having this issue in CS6 when I was running a very large monitor.  Now that I'm on a smaller monitor, CS6 flies but CC is having the delay.

It definitely sounds like the new Retina support may be causing some of our issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

It would be great if someone from Adobe could look into this because it's really slowing us down, and it's slowing us drastically. We're anxious, projects are suffering and clients are all but patient about this

If it's really Retina display features related, how come none of other apps is suffering from this, AE only (at least on our end)? Premiere Pro CC is, I would call it, the closest relative to After Effects, and on my end it works perfectly fine.

Edit: also, isn't Retina display connected with Apple machines? Nothing to do with PCs, and yet we have trouble with this on PCs only. Macs we use here don't have this problem with delay and super sluggishness I'm experiencing on my PC rig.

Message was edited by: SashaPP, edit section added at the bottom of the message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to SashaPP

We're looking into this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to SashaPP

Edit: also, isn't Retina display connected with Apple machines?

Yes, but you can buy 2560x1720 PC monitors, can you not? Those as well benefit from improved text rendering at high pixel density as well as higher-res icons. Just seems someone did not allocate enough drawing resources for the main window and UI to compensate. Well, they'll work it out...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

We're looking into this.

Great news! Thank you wholeheartedly! I've tried every single possible setting inside After Effects, and nothing made any difference, so I guess this needs to be fixed on app development level I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium wrote:

Yes, but you can buy 2560x1720 PC monitors, can you not? Those as well benefit from improved text rendering at high pixel density as well as higher-res icons. Just seems someone did not allocate enough drawing resources for the main window and UI to compensate. Well, they'll work it out...

Mylenium

True to that! Well, let's hope we'll see some improvement in next few days... hopefully!

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to SashaPP

I also have the slight selay on the trial WIndows version of AE CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

Jon-M-Spear wrote:

I also have the slight selay on the trial WIndows version of AE CC.

I wish I can call mine "slight delay"... sometimes it's so sluggish and slow that it locks up my whole After Effects for couple of seconds, literally couple of seconds 3-7 seconds until I can use any of the menus or icons or anything AE UI for that matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to JosefBsharah

You beat me by few seconds... I was wondering the same. Being anxious does not seem to help. We need action from Adobe. After Effects CC is useless in this state. I can't do anything, it's that slow. Not just menus, anything I do on the timeline. I find myself working in 5.5 more often than I thought possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to SashaPP

We'll update this thread when there's news. We're looking into it.

Sasha, your issue is a different one. Please start a new thread about it. This thread is about the specific issue with delay when clicking a menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

My issue is same like everyone else's, only even worst. I have problem with menus and I stated that in my first post. On the top of that, like it's not enough, I have all other delay-after-click related issues. They are all connected, it's same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to SashaPP

The menu click delay is a separate problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

And I have it, so that's why I am here with others trying to get someone to solve it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

In addition to the menu clicks being slow, it looks like the entire build on Windows is sluggish. I can't "page up" or "page down" through footage or use simple shortcuts like "tilde" to move around without significant delays. All PC's in my office are experiencing this issue. Only the Mac install seems to function properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:59 AM   in reply to Kutny

I'm having the same issues as others have mentioned in this thread.

It such an issue I've reverted back to using CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Kutny

kutny wrote:

In addition to the menu clicks being slow, it looks like the entire build on Windows is sluggish. I can't "page up" or "page down" through footage or use simple shortcuts like "tilde" to move around without significant delays. All PC's in my office are experiencing this issue. Only the Mac install seems to function properly.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Everything is slow and sluggish to the point it's not very useful. And to me, it looks like there is some kind of buffer being filled, so more I use it, it gets slower and slower. On my PC (i5), every other CC app simply flies. It's beautiful! But AE gives me so much trouble at the moment. On Mac, so far everything works great.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to JosefBsharah

I'm also experiancing this menu click delay in After Effects CC

I've also noticed a delay in Photoshop when using the Clone Stamp and Heal Brush tools. Holding "Alt" takes a second or two to kick in and I end up painting instead of choosing a new point to paint from. (I know this is unrelated, but thought it was worth noting)

Windows 7 professional 64-bit

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2670 2.60GHz (x2)

64GB RAM

NVidia Quadro K5000

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Since it's been 5 days and we are still seeing this issue with the menu click delay, can we get an update on this?  Any idea when it will be fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to Xval42

We'll let you know when we have any information to share.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I just got notification about After Effects, Premiere Pro and Flash Professional updates. Can't find anything about what's updated. When I click on MORE INFORMATION under Affter Effects CC update, the only thing that says is: "Adobe Media Encoder CC 7.0.1 Update: This update provides bug fixes".

Exactly the same thing says under Flash Profesional CC??

Edit: I have to add that After Effects seems a lot more responsive on my machine now. There is slight delay when I first open menu (top level), but going through options inside menus is super fast now. Also, shortcuts for example to reveal all keyframes on a layer, pressing "U" key works fine now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to SashaPP

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

...and... sluggishness is back. I forgot I completely turned off my PCI-E video card and switched to my internal one I have on my GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard . It's still not perfect but it makes a little difference. Menus are not as sluggish as they are when using external video card. So, there could be something that these apps are fighting with video card drivers or something like that.

Back to waiting for this fix... sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 2:05 AM   in reply to SashaPP

Ok,i'm here again. I've started a new thread about this problem but no reply from Adobe and this is terrible.I mean,we need support and we need a reply from Adobe's team with a deadline. Is AE CC tested only on Mac? Menu delay and lags with keyboard shortcuts. Win7,Nvidia GTX680 4GB,i7980x,DX58SO with triple channel DDR3 12GB ram. If the menu delays and lags in keybord shortcuts are not related...well...that's not important at all! We all nedd that Adobe fix this terribles bug as quick as possible. AE is unresponsive in this way. I've tried everything as all of us here and nothing changes in this major issue.

Really hope that this lags,not only the menu delay,will be fixed soon...and for soon i mean the next week!

Bests from Italy,

Roberto

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to ActionCamStudio

I feel your pain Roberto... the company I work at bought 8 licenses of CC and none of us are using AE, just reverted back to CS6. Maybe we should start screen capturing side by side comparisons and uploading them to youtube to better show these issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to Kutny

Yes Kutny,i have think the same thing! One camera on my keyboard and one camera on the monitor! Pain is the right name for this bug...i've tried everything to solve this. Revert back my graphic drivers,nope,multiprocessing on or off,nope,one monitor...two monitor...nope,CPU-GPU...nope...

Is impossible to work with AE in this conditions...i'll try to do my best to show this lags in a video as soon as i can. But i really hope that Adobe will resolve this issue before i start recording!

The fun thing is this: i have a Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max that i've unplugged from my pc waiting for the new drivers release. Well,today they release new drivers...and i can't use them!

We need to stay calm and relax

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to ActionCamStudio

Wow! Fortunately Matrox's new drivers supports AE CS6! So now i've installed AE CS6 and all is beautiful again! No lags,no delay...paradise....and AE CC is gathering dust...i really hope in a solution soon...i've seen Cineware in action only one time...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to ActionCamStudio

No news...bad news...

Here is the thread i've opened few days ago...no reply yet...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5506174

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points