Skip navigation
Kathscottloves
Currently Being Moderated

Import problems. Desperate need help

Jun 19, 2013 6:42 PM

Tags: #problem #read #problems #importing #lightroom4

Hi everyone. Needing loads of help here. Halfway through an import into lightroom it says. 'the following files could not be imported because they could not be read.' I have tried different cards and they were working and now they are not either. I have plenty of room on my hard drives so I'm not sure what the problem is. I have full cards and deadlines this afternoon and I'm really worried. The cards are being read from a usb attached to 5dmarkiii. Anytime this issue has come up in the past it has been fixed when I switched from non-genuine to canon usb cable but this is using the canon. Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to Kathscottloves

The error message "the following files could not be imported because they could not be read" can be caused when you are trying to copy the files to a drive/folder where you do not have full read/write permission.  Lightroom needs to have full permissions to all the drives/folders you are using. Sometimes the permissions for drives/folders get changed when you have an Operating System update.

Check the permissions for the location where you are copying the imported files. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to Kathscottloves

'Because the files could not be read' leads me to believe that it may not be so much a permissions on where to put the files but that it is having trouble with the read from the camera.

Can you copy the card contents directly onto a new folder on the computer and then import to LR from that folder -- either by a card reader or accessing the card on the camera directly via your OS file manager (My Computer or Explorer if using Windows)? Canon or not it also may be worth trying another a) USB cable and/or b) USB port.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points