Skip navigation
garymanilow
Currently Being Moderated

Trashing files after you finish a project....

Jun 19, 2013 10:50 PM

What do you guys do with all of your files after you complete a project? I'm pretty sure that if you delete a file that ends up being used in the editor and final content, you get a placeholder file, thus destroying your ability to revisit your original edits.

I have no intention of touching this project again. It's done and it is what it is. But I have some mild paranoia about junking all of the source files.....   What do you think?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 5:05 AM   in reply to garymanilow

In my book, I recommend that, whenever you start a new project, you open a new folder/directory and save your project files and media files in it. This makes removing all of the project, media, temp as render files when your project is done as simple as deleting the folder.

Once you've got a finished project, there's no need to save your media or project files. You just won't be able to re-open the project later an re-tinker with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to garymanilow

Read Bill Hunt on project setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/919388?tstart=0

If you think you will ever want to go back to a project, just move the entire folder/sub-folder to a USB drive for storage

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Steve's approach works well for me as long as I remember that step two after starting a new project is to make sure all the "scratch disks" are set to "same as projects".  All but one setting will remember "same as project", but a single setting remembers the last project -- which may be a small "bug".

I find Bill Hunt's recipe is too complex for small "armature" or "home user" projects.  I find one folder, without the subfolders, sufficient.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

It all depends on the intricacy of one's Projects. If I only had a single Video file, and no Still Images, Music, or SFX files, and no Titles built in PS, then it would be too involved. However, most of my Projects ARE intricate, so keeping things separate is important to me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

I do the same thing. My original Assets (Video, Audio, Stills, Titles, etc.) are kept on my NAS, and when needed, I just Copy those to my internal HDD, for use in a Project.

As you say, you never know when you will need something from a previous Project.

I am also always shooting "stock" material, thinking that it might be useful later, like traffic in London, horse-drawn carriages in New Orleans, tourist buses in Washington, DC - whatever.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points