Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DIV organisation help.... (possible future improvement)

Jun 20, 2013 5:28 AM

Hey

I am not sure if this is already a feature. If so, please tell me how to do it. If not, then i genuinly believe this should be added to dreamweaver in the future

I find myself with a very common problem, especially when working on websites that I did not build myself from the start, where i may be wanting to find where one DIV ends and another one begins. I find myself scrolling up and down, trying to peice it together. Sometimes having to scroll through hundreds of lines each time. Sometimes cleaning up someone elses work by 'tabbing' out the divs that i know all about.

I find myself singing praises for the original designer, whenever i see that they added HTML comments nexts to a closing DIV, saying what it belongs to. This is what led me to thinking, why doesnt Dreamweaver do this automatically.

Perhaps it would work like this, whenever you hover over a <div> code, it has a properties section that you can use like an ordinary dreamweaver window (eg. hide or show) and it says what DIV it belongs to, among other things. At the very least it could show which line the opening div is on. Or the closing div if your hovering over the opening one. If it has a class, then display the class name... etc etc

This seems so obvious and simple, that it could already be a feature.... I hope it is and someone can tell me where it is :-)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to joey.v1985

Hi joey.v1985,

Dreamweaver has two different ways of selecting matching tags, depending on whether you're working with HTML or a scripting language.

1) To select the matching opening and closing tags of an HTML element, click inside the element, and click the Select Parent Tag button in the Coding toolbar. It's the sixth button from the top.

2) To select matching opening and closing curly braces, brackets, or parentheses, click inside the opening or closing symbol, and click the Balance Braces button on the Coding toolbar (it's immediately below Select Parent Tag). Alternatively, use the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+'/Cmd+'.

I hope this is what you are looking for..

Also, you can raise a Feature Request here..

Regards

Bhawna

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points