Skip navigation
Seth Goldin
Currently Being Moderated

When syncing by audio, what's happening when I offset the audio frames from the video frames?

Jun 20, 2013 7:24 AM

Tags: #audio #sync #dslr #multi-camera

Hi there,

I was looking around for official documentation on this, but couldn't find any.

I'm thrilled that the new Premiere Pro CC (7.0.0) can sync by audio. I can cut out PluralEyes from my workflow entirely. I'd just like to know what's happening when I modify the numerical value for "Offset audio by _ video frames" when I generate a new multi-camera source sequence.

Operators of older DSLRs, like the T2i, 5D Mk II, and 7D, know that these cameras' own internal audio tracks are out of sync with their video, usually having their video tracks lag behind their audio tracks by a single frame or two, depending on the camera.

Does this feature actually offset video and audio within a clip that has its audio and video tracks linked? Does it look for isolated audio tracks that have no video associated with them and simply offset those from the video clips that do have audio? I noticed that isolated audio tracks are automatically moved to A1 and are soloed, so they seem to have special priority.

Also, which direction does the offset move the tracks? I'm assuming I can put in positive or negative values and get different results.

Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Seth Goldin

Runs some experiments.  Report back the results.  I'm sure others will want to know at some point.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points