Skip navigation
cfindlater
Currently Being Moderated

Flattening Transparency when saving as .eps

Jun 20, 2013 9:01 AM

I am doing a logo design which comprises text sitting on top of a png image.  The original png image has a transparent background.

When I save as .eps, I get the message "The document contatins artwork that requires flattening".  So I select the image, Object > Flatten Transparency and it saves fine.

But now it's put a white background behind the image.  I need the entire logo to be tranasparent.

Where am I going wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to cfindlater

Where am I going wrong?

1. Saving as EPS. The format doesn't actually support raster transparency. The raster portions of your art would need a clipping path/mask to hide the white pixels. EPS is essentially an obsolete format. With very few exceptions, (usually accommodation of an antiquated workflow), there's no reason to use it. AI and PDF won't give you that problem.

2. Using raster elements in a logo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to cfindlater

While EPS may be scalable, pixel data such as PNG actually isn't. So you're not scalable anyway. You need vector data in order to be scalable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to cfindlater

Are you suggesting I just shouldn't be using PNG artwork in a logo design?

Yes.

But to some extent, it depends on what you mean by "logo." Many people will say they're "designing a logo," when the only place the design might ever appear is at the top corner of a web page.

A true brand/identity design must be developed with many more applications in mind. Real logo design pros typically produce logos in 100% vectors, and often in only one color. That's because if the design works in one color, it serves as a sort of "lowest common denominator" from which it can be made to work in everything from fax cover sheets to billboards, screen or pad printing, embroidery, vehicle graphics, signage, cut vinyl, and many more. Quite a few of those allow for additional color and effect-based embellishments, but they all build on the designer's one-color basis.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points