Skip navigation
MSGreen
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CC: Head Content options

Jun 20, 2013 9:38 AM

Tags: #metadata #viewmenuitems #dreamweaver_cc #head_content

The removed features page http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/the-new-modernized-dreamweave r-cc.html very helpfully explained that the HEAD CONTENT options have been removed --

• View > Head Content
  • Keyboard shortcut (ctrl + shift + H)
  • Header View Toolbar in Design view

But... WHY?!!!

This is a feature I've counted on to easily add header metadata to unique documents.  Now I have to go to CODE view and scroll my way up to the head content in order to edit this data. "New modernized Dreamweaver CC" is all very well & good, but not when it creates such an obvious obstacle to routine workflow.

Do you have any suggestions as to how this functionality can be restored to my workflow?

Until then... thank goodness I haven't uninstalled CS6 yet.

— Mel

(I'm completely willing to adapt to more efficient ways if I know what they are... it's having to adapt to less efficient ways that's an issue.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to MSGreen

I also want to know why the head content can't be modified in Design view. Like Mel said, I don't mind learning a new workflow if it's better, but I can't possibly see how there's a benefit to forcing me to go to Code view to edit META tags.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to MSGreen

Hi  Mel/Bill,

The option is there in Insert Menu. Please have a look here.

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/changes-insert-options-creati ve-cloud.html#id_15312

You can add META tags in both design and code view.

Insert Panel > Head > Meta

HTH

Thanks

Bhawna

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to bgupta16

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only inserts the META tag. Not only that, but if the META tag is already there, it just keeps inserting another duplicate META tag with no warning at all.

Sometimes, if not most of the time, I only want to modify the META tags that are already there. In the last version of Dreamweaver, that was very easy to do in Design view. Now it doesn't look like that's possible at all in Design view.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to MysticKnight

Yes, that is only for Inserting META Tags..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to bgupta16

So not only was the ability to modify and/or view META data in Design view taken away, but a new Insert command was added that allows users to easily create duplicate META tags.

Am I missing something here or is that a very bad way of handing META tags?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to MSGreen

I also wish Adobe can bring "Head Content options" back. It really helps me (designer) to quickly see the existing of the META tags plus you can easily copy and paste the icons from one file to the next (plus rearranging) rather than painstakingly hilighting the lengthy code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 2:28 AM   in reply to bgupta16

Will this toolbar for the header return? I too find it very frustrating not being able to see the header content at a glance.

I know screen space it at a premium but we really do need this if we are working on headers. It could become a new tab on the Properties Inspector perhaps?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 3:31 AM   in reply to MSGreen

Hello,

I qoute your: "Do you have any suggestions as to how this functionality can be restored to my workflow?". One way to interest Adobe's development team is to use the "wishform". Here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform, where you will find this: "Use this form to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features."

Hans-Günter 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to hans-g.

The frustrating part of all this is it wastes our time for no good reason. There simply is not a good reason to not allow users to access the META tags in design view.

If it were a feature request, I understand, but it's not. This is a feature that was purposely taken away. To make matters worse, there is a pull down menu that "allows" users to insert multiple META tags for the same definition. Since we can't see that in design view, it's much more likely users will end up with multiple META tags for the same thing. Not good.

The one question that hasn't been answer yet is why was it removed?

If there's a logical reason, even if I disagree with it, at least I wouldn't feel so bad the inconvenience this has caused and the time that it has wasted.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 10:40 PM   in reply to MSGreen

The Insert > Head > Meta/Keyword/Description is there, but I'm finding that it's not even working correctly. For example, if you wanted to enter keywords, you would think that going insert>head>keyword would put the meta tags in the head, but it actually just places it where ever your cursor happens to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to King_Federer

For example, if you wanted to enter keywords, you would think that going insert>head>keyword would put the meta tags in the head, but it actually just places it where ever your cursor happens to be.

For me, it places it in a meta tag in the head of the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to King_Federer

King_Federer wrote:

For example, if you wanted to enter keywords, you would think that going insert>head>keyword would put the meta tags in the head, but it actually just places it where ever your cursor happens to be.

If your cursor is in Code view, that's exactly what happens. If the focus is in Design view, Dreamweaver inserts the <meta> tag in the <head> of the page.

This has always been the case with Code view. Dreamweaver inserts code at the current insertion point, even if it results in invalid code. For example, you might be building a dynamic page with conditional statements, so Dreamweaver doesn't try to intervene. Obviously, a <meta> tag would never go in the <body> of a page, but Dreamweaver doesn't check such things when you're working directly in Code view.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 1:44 AM   in reply to MSGreen

The lack of being able to see the Head Content icons slows down my work flow!

I used to add/remove it by clicking an icon and hitting delete, in DW CC there is no longer that option, so bogus!

dw-headcontent.jpg

BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO SEE HEAD CONTENT OVER THE DESIGN VIEW!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to giant JELLYFISH

I totally agree with you JELLYFISH, why on earth have they removed it?

I am always using it to quickly select css and javascript links, script blocks etc.

Argh!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to alienblood

BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO SEE HEAD CONTENT OVER THE DESIGN VIEW!!!

I used to be able to click a code block, etc. simply by clicking on the icon, now I have to scroll thru code and wonder if i got it ok, or not...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to giant JELLYFISH

Hi all,

A better way to make your wishes heard is by filling the wishlist form. If there a re suficient numbers with a valid use case, the product team can prioritize the request accordingly.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Preran

Hi Preran,

Thanks for the suggestion which I already actioned.

The question is, do you really listen to the needs of the end-user?

Sufficient numbers does not always mean that something is good and/or bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to giant JELLYFISH

giant JELLYFISH wrote:

The question is, do you really listen to the needs of the end-user?

Sufficient numbers does not always mean that something is good and/or bad.

Let me try to answer that from the perspective of someone who has been involved in testing Dreamweaver for many years.

In my experience, the Dreamweaver product team does respond to end-users. At the same time, it has its own ideas about the direction it wants Dreamweaver to go. As you point out, sufficient numbers doesn't necessarily indicate whether an idea is good or bad. So, even if a large number of people submit requests for a particular feature, it doesn't guarantee it will be implemented.

What it does guarantee is that the idea will be given serious consideration, even if it's eventually rejected. Many people dismiss the idea of filing reports through the official form, saying Adobe never listens. But if people refuse to submit their ideas/complaints through that form, it's not a case of Adobe not listening. The message never gets through in the first place.

Over the years, I've submitted hundreds of feature requests and bug reports. Not all of them get acted on, but a significant proportion do. Some hints to improve your chances of being listened to:

• For a feature request (or getting a feature reinstated), state briefly why the feature is important to your workflow. Explain why its absence hampers your productivity.
    • For a bug report, provide clear steps to reproduce the bug, and give some details of your operating system, RAM, and other software that was running at the same time. If it's an intermittent bug, provide any information that might help indicate what triggered it (e.g., what were you doing just before it happened?)
    • Don't rant.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Thank you for your response David and good (n)etiquette for posting comments.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points