Skip navigation
www.jmalmsten.com
Currently Being Moderated

Using dynamic link for projects with hundreds of shots...

Jun 20, 2013 10:18 AM

Tags: #after #effects #pro #premiere #link #dynamic #animation #2d

I have been wondering about this. And now I'm on the brink of moving a project with around 125 shots into AEcc. But I'm a bit hesitant on what direction I should take. Because.. if I go through with the wrong workflow and it falls apart 50 shots in... I'm looking at quite a lot of redundant work that has to be redone.

So if I have, like in this case. A project where I need to pull through a sequence of around 100+ shots into AEcc. What would you guys recommend?

Right now, I'm looking at a few option:

1. Standard, one AE project per shot and render each shot individually. I know this works, but it's a bit laborsome.
  2. Dynamic Link on a massive scale. Sounds flexible in theory. But how do I keep it manageable with all of the precomps that are needed? And I am not all that convinced that it will turn out to be so efficient.
  3. Open the PPro project inside AE and do it all in there. Though it becomes rather hard to re-edit once in there. And it is kindof hard to make sure that the 5.1 mix comes through allright. And I can't go back to premiere...

The project is basically an animated short where the 2D-animation was done in Flash and then exported as PNG's which are then timed and looped and otherwise fiddled with in PPro. Now I need to overlay all of this onto the live action video backgrounds. Doing some compositing tricks to make it feel a bit nicer. And this is why I need to do pretty much all of the shots in AE.

Again. I am going to have to pick one and stick to it, because I don't want to realize that I picked the wrong method halfway through...

If you know of a better workflow, I am all ears...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to www.jmalmsten.com

Here is another option to try.  This is what I do when I want to do color correction on an entire sequence in Pr with 100's of clips, but keep it dynamically linked:

You can select all of your video clips on the timeline in Pr

Open up a blank Comp in AE that matches your sequence settings

Paste the clips into the comp - each clip will show up on its own layer (with most transitions and effects intact from Pr) and AE will bring over the references to all of the clips into the project window.

Do your work in AE.

Back in Pr, you can go to the Dynamic Link menu item and bring in that comp from AE back to Pr.

Add that DL onto a new video track - this keeps your original sequence intact - with all of your audio work - but overlays a DL layer of all of the AE work.  Any changes you make in AE will be reflected on your timeline. When you are finished, you may want to render out that sequence in AE and add it on its own layer in Pr so you will never be stuck with a failed DL error, just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to needles27

I'm working on an iPad which won't let me edit my post - forgot to say to Copy all of the clips in your Pr sequence before heading over to AE and pasting them in.  It may be obvious, but I want to be clear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to www.jmalmsten.com

Generally speaking, there is no 'one & only' proper workflow. Just keep in mind the following:

- not all effects and transitions are properly translated when travelling from PrPro to AE;

- in Dynamic Link scenario PrPro communicates with AE projects via single instance of headless AE, which creates a bottleneck. See this good old thread on Dynamic Link workflow, pay attention to Todd's comments;

- since AE allows to set a DI as a proxy to dynamically linked comp, with reasonable amount of dynamically linked comps in PrPro project you can enjoy the best of both worlds, instantly switching between a DI and dynamically linked comp back and forth with no needs to replace anything in PrPro timeline. Test on your own with which amount of dynamically linked comps setting DIs as proxies still work. For my rig test 30 min sequence built out of 935 dynamically linked comps, which are just source footages in their own comps, hence, the equivalent to rendered DIs set to proxies, takes around 27 hours to render, while 30 min sequence built out of the same 935 source footages renders in real time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points