Skip navigation
mialisa57
Currently Being Moderated

creative cloud desktop failed to install

Jun 20, 2013 11:04 AM

Tags: #desktop #creative #failed #cloud #installation_unsuccessful

I have tried several times to download and install the creative cloud desktop. It fails every time with this message "We've encountered the following issues: Creative cloud desktop failed to install." The application manager 7.0 also fails to install. I am using windows 7. Can anyone assist with this problem?

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to mialisa57

Hi mialisa57,

Could you please follow these steps and let us know if it helps you.

Please download and run Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Run Creative Cloud Cleaner tool and choose option 3 and then option 1 to complete the cleaning process.

Once done please rename OOBE Folder from these locations

Windows :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\Adobe

Go to creative.adobe.com -> Download Center -> Download Creative Cloud

Regards,

Abhijit

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to mialisa57

Once you navigate to the location mentioned above you will see OOBE folder. You need to rename it to OOBE.old

regards,

Abhijit

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Abhijit Kr.

This didnt help me either but i renamed the folders to obe, does it have to be OOBE.Old

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to gleeeniiss

Gleeeniiss if the solutions in the discussions you are viewing are not solving your issue then I would recommend you start a new discussion with your specifics in the Creative Cloud Download & Install forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/creative_clou d_faq.  You are also welcome to contact our support team to work with them directly at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to gleeeniiss

I saw that these directions failed to help many users.  I found another thread that indicated shutting down adobe processes running the background could help.  I found an acrobat tray process running and a couple of flash processes (closing browser turned these off).  So after closing the browser and killing the acrobat tray process, I was able to succesfully updated.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to oxprather

oxprather

Your solution (killing the background acrotray process) resolved my issue with the CC update as well. Thank you for the heads-up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to ANMason

I tried this too.  However, It did not fix my problem with the "creative cloud desktop update failed to install."

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to DesertTalk

DesertTalk did you try the solution offered by Abhijit in message #1?  Or are you referring to closing the Acrotray process?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Abhijit Kr.

Thanks, after following some other tips & coming back to yours, this finally worked (I'm on Windows7 SP1).

I renamed the following folders to *_OLD:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles

C:\Users\(Me)\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud

(There are 2 other 'AdobePatchFiles' that I didn't rename:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe\AdobePatchFiles)

I didn't uninstall CC or AppManager from Programs because they weren't there!

Ran CC Cleaner between 2 reboots then CreativeCloudSet-Up.exe & it finally worked.

Now to try & recoup a lost weekend's urgent work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to oxprather

Killing the acrobat tray process, made it for for me too.
    Thanx

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to Ruben Leonhardt

Same here! Just killing the Acrotray process worked for me. Haven't tried the cleaner, as it was easier to try this first.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Adobe should update the "Failed to install" error message to something useful. Perhaps pointing to this article? Also there should be an update coming for AcrobatReader/Acrotray fixing this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to mialisa57

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to mialisa57

Same probs. Here are the errors from the Removal Tool at the top:

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] *-*-*-*-*-*-* ::START:: - SUMMARY OF ERRORS *-*-*-*-*-*-*

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSync\customhook: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSync\\customhook'

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSync: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSync'

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud'

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] *-*-*-*-*-*-* :: END :: - SUMMARY OF ERRORS *-*-*-*-*-*-*

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] ---------------------------------------------------------

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* :: End Session :: *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

[Thu Aug 29 16:39:15 2013] ---------------------------------------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to Abhijit Kr.

Hi Abhijit,

I followed your instructions and the issue was resolve for me - at first. 

However after a few weeks, Adobe puts out a new compulsory update (i.e. the Creative Cloud manager app only gives you the option to update or quit) and the same problem occurs.

So it seems that Adobe needs to come up with a higher level solution.  Do you know if that is something Adobe is aware of? 

cheers,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to dan94984987

Chiming in, this has been happening to me from the start. A virgin win7 install, with Creative Cloud installed with no prior installs. Original installation went without a hitch, but every time adobe creative cloud attempts to update it crashes out with a 'failed to install', deletes the icon and program from my computer, and fails to give any useful information on what is going on.

So far I've had to redownload the creative cloud installer from the net every time, and reinstall it (which works fine). This is the 10th time or so I've had to do this, and it is getting frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to ChrisSisk

That sucks.  It seems this is a substantial problem.  Can we get some kind of feedback from Adobe that this is being looked into - not just piecemealfixes, but the underlying problem?  

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to dan94984987

I reported this problem, too.  Killing processes on my Win 7/64 Professional doesn't solve the problem.  I did discover that booting in safe mode (press the F8 key when windows is starting), uinstalling and reinstalling seemed to work... that is until a day or two later when Adobe requires a mandatory update to the "Adobe Creative Cloud" app.

The worst thing is I can't really tell if it really needs updating or not. The "app gives no version number information when running and no indication what the "new version" is.  In my "Programs and Features" it lists Adobe Creative Cloud as version 2.1.1.220 and I installed it YESTERDAY. Today it claimed there was a  newer version, and proceeded to install/fail. 

The main thing that's different is I was recently accepted into the Type Kit computer fonts beta.  HELP... how do I get out 'cause that's when the pain started on a daily basis.

Adobe products often require "Administrative Access" the ONLY products I use that seem to need that kind of permission.

I suspect that whatever "Creative Cloud App" exist on the main download site is in fact down-level.  I noticed that right after had I installed Photoshop CC on my computer (a new different machine from the one I'm having the pain on), it told me there were beacoup updates required.  Cost me the better part of 4 hours while it thrashed my sluggish internet connection.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Well, I don't know if this means the underying problem is solved or not but...

There was just a new creative cloud program update pushed, and I decided to give it a go just like the last ten times it failed to install.

This time however, imagine my surprise as it worked correctly and updated the app instead of uninstalling it. I'll wait to throw a party until I see it do it without breaking again, but this is a good start.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to ChrisSisk

OMG you're right!  it appears they have fixed it.  the latest update installed fine for me. 

let's hope it stays that way!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to dan94984987

Well, the new installer is a lot smaller and is numbered 2.1.2.232.... but since the prior one didn't UNINSTALL properly I still resorted to SAFE mode to remove it's ugly carcass.  For good measure, I also did this:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1243534

Feel sorry for http://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff%20A%20Wright - 13,000+ posts from that guy!

I'm a bit amused that the "poll" from my last visit asked a question like "I am aware that I don't have to be connected to the internet to use my applications"...  When the installer FORCEFULLY upgrades or quits and then fails to load... well guess what... it turns out you DO have to be connected to the internet or you can't load, update, or authorize the software.  I suppose if you're NOT connected to the internet, the update won't know that it's old and become a high-speed train wreck.

I'm also amused that Adobe says "you get to choose when and what to update"... uhm, except for the installer - the root of the whole process. That you have zero choice over.

Fingers crossed that today's install survives the required reboot and at least runs for a few days without blowing chunks.

Message was edited by: NightSkyGuy - added latest installer version number.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:04 AM   in reply to dan94984987

Aw man, I thought I was the only one with this problem! CC updated quite a few times already, and everytime I click the option to update it, it would fail, and my CC icon is lost. I have to uninstall my CC, CC clean it and then download and reinstall the program.

Encouraged by the latest response thought, hopefully this latest updated fixed this issue too.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Sep 5, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to mialisa57

Bạn nên tắt hết tất cả các chương trình adobe chạy ẩn bằng cách vào windows task manager / application/ end task.

Rồi tiến hành update Adobe Creative Cloud

chúc bạn thành công !

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to dell inspiron n5110

Is there some specific reason why this discussion:

a) Switched to old attempted fixes that have already been mentioned
    b) Switched to Vietnamese

Out of the two I find the second the most confusing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to Abhijit Kr.

I spent HOURS a few months ago to get the creative cloud to download onto my computer. Now there is an update and i get the same error again. To run the cleaner tool it say i have to unistall everything and re-install it again. This can't be right. Am i going to have to uninstall and re-install everything for every update?!  Please tell me there is an easier way. I dont have DAYS to waste on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to kinetic4307

I fixed this on Windows 7. Rename the OOBE file as mentioned. Then use the native Windows tool to remove the application Creative Cloud Desktop (took 2 tries). I tried the Adobe Removal Tool. Errors every time. This worked for me.

Step 1 (from:Tejodhar_A)  - Rename the OOBE Folder from the different Locations of Your Windows Computer

Windows: Go to Start - Computer >    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE

OR

[System drive]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE   (Rename it to OOBE_OLD)

* Note : AppData Folder is an Hiden Folder (Check Folder Options - Show Hidden Files and Folders )

Step 2 - Start; Control Pannel; Uninstall a program; select the Creative Cloud Desktop Manager. May need to try more than once.

Step 3 - Download and install. It ran the updates fine after I completed these steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to ANMason

Using the Task Manager to kill ArcoTray.exe fixed my problem as well -- no other steps required.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to mialisa57

I also encountered this error, but closing all browsers, then restarting a clean session and signing in seems to be working so far.  In case this helps anyone else...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 6:52 PM   in reply to mialisa57

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 12:08 PM   in reply to mialisa57

2014-02-18 12_00_48-.png

Here we go again. Every time there is an upgrade it fails on my Windows 7 64-bit machine.  Adobe, do you care?  Apparently not. Resorting to "Safe mode" uninstall / reinstall AGAIN.

Res

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 1:52 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Res please see Error "Failed to Install" Creative Cloud Desktop application - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/failed-install-creative-cloud -desktop.html which discusses how to resolve this error.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 11:51 AM   in reply to mialisa57

Rename OOBE folder with OOBEOLD ( c:/program files(x86)/common files/Adobe/OOBE folder )

Run the Adobe cleaner ( http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/support/Adobe_Creative_Clou d_Cleaner_Tool.zip )

Remove Adobe application Manager/Adobe creative cloud .

Restart the computer and redownload Adobe Creative cloud and install it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 9:24 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Jeff,

The steps listed are WAY overkill.  The first time I had the failure I went through all that and guess what: it didn't help... colossal waste of time.

In this case I rebooted my machine, waited for all start up nonsense to quiesce and it, surprise, uninstalled successfully from Control Panel -> Program Manager.  Since I had already DOWNLOADED the new version, I didn't have to open a browser. I Installed (not a reinstall) from the downloaded desktop client. It took a LONG time as it always seems to but it also (shockingly) worked without having to resort to SAFE mode in windows.  SAFE Mode was the only reliable way I found after about 5 PRIOR failing upgrades.

Once it came back to life, of course I have to "accept terms" - have no idea in those hundreds of pages what, if anything has changed.

Then I noticed there were updates for Photoshop CC and After Effects.  I clicked both of the "UPDATE" buttons. It claimed Photoshop CC update completed but that After Effects failed.  Today I see both "Update" buttons are still there including one for Photoshop CC which "you updated 1 day ago" according to the app.

In short, the app reinstall seems to have worked after minor herculean effort, but its questionable if the app is working. For example the "Manage Fonts" button doesn't seem to do anything, though the "Browse Fonts" button does open a browser window.

In my world where time is something I value, this App is a huge time waster.  Oh, and it's also clearly a departure from the verbiage that claims we can "update when we want". The choices with the Creative Cloud app are "Yes" or "Give up and go home".

One thing is clear: this "Creative Cloud" app is very fragile, and prone to failure. I have yet to be able to "upgrade" that app successfully even once. I avoid starting it at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Feb 20, 2014 7:32 AM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Same old cr@p here too - Creative Cloud Desktop failed to install

I am a struggling artist with an extremely poor income and I pay what I consider to be shedloads of money each month for this rubbish.

FIX IT ADOBE, or I'm off to more dodgy ways of obtaining your software!

(OK, I won't, because I am too chicken to do so, but it does make me wonder why I pay good money for no support...?)

This problem has been going on for months. This is the third time I have had to clear off EVERYTHING Adobe-related just to get stuff to work. This latest screw-up is on a totally new machine, with a clean install of everything.

This is not what I would expect considering the cost of the Adobe subscription, or is it...?

I may just go back to using GIMP and my last version of PS Elements (10).

Sorry for the rant. Normally I wouldn't, but the lack of a permanent fix from Adobe has forced me into it. Hopefully a web-search by others will bring people to this page.

I'm going to do what NightSkyGuy has done - and disable it.

EDIT:

Just tried to use The Adobe Cleaner thingy - and it completed WITH ERRORS.

This does not make me feel confident...

Please confirm that you want to remove the selected product from Installer Database .

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:34 2014] Type (y) to confirm and remove or (n) to quit ... >>

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Please wait for Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to finish........

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] OSVersion : 64-bit

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run value:Adobe Creative Cloud

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run value:AdobeCEPServiceManager

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Exception during deleting key : (2, 'RegDeleteValue', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe\CSXS.4 value:SmsManifestBaseURL

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe\CSXS.4 value:SmsUpdateCheckInterval

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe\CSXS.4 value:LogLevel

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKLM key:Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\A dobe Creative Cloud

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKCR key:AAM

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKCR key:AdobeAAMDetect.AdobeAAMDetect

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKCR key:AdobeAAMDetect.AdobeAAMDetect.1

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Exception during deleting key : (2, 'RegDeleteTree', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:40 2014] Deleting registry root:HKCR key:AdobeAAMDetect.AdobeAAMDetect.2

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSyncV1\CoreSync_x64.dll: [Error 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSyncV1\\CoreSync_x64.dll'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSyncV1\CoreSync_x64.dll: [Error 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSyncV1\\CoreSync_x64.dll'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSyncV1: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSyncV1'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\CoreSyncV1: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud\\CoreSyncV1'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ERROR: while removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud: [Error 145] The directory is not empty: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Creative Cloud'

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] Some files could not be cleaned up. Please try closing your internet/web browser, and rerun the Cleaner Tool to complete your clean-up.

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] Action : Created the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\backup20140220T151223 folder as backup of PDB and MediaDB for this session.

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] LOG FILE SAVED TO: C:\Users\Susi\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.log

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool completed with ERRORS!

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] Check the end of the log file for list of errors

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014]

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] *-*-*-*-*-*-* ::START:: - SUMMARY OF ERRORS *-*-*-*-*-*-*

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] *-*-*-*-*-*-* :: END :: - SUMMARY OF ERRORS *-*-*-*-*-*-*

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ---------------------------------------------------------

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* :: End Session :: *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

[Thu Feb 20 15:12:43 2014] ---------------------------------------------------------

Message was edited by: SusiBiker2 Results of running Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

2nd EDIT:

The desktop CC App installed, but as you might expect, it decided that no programs were installed.

AdobeCr@p07.PNG

Message was edited by: SusiBiker2

Selecting my applications is causing them to be downloaded AGAIN and reinstalled!

Over a 1Mbps ADSL line - this is only going to take a few days!

This is just so much fun...

Lazy programming: Just fix the damn thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:37 PM   in reply to SusiBiker2

SusiBiker2 wrote:

Same old cr@p here too - Creative Cloud Desktop failed to install

Can't update the apps

FIX IT ADOBE

This latest screw-up is on a totally new machine, with a clean install of everything.

Sorry for the rant. Normally I wouldn't, but the lack of a permanent fix from Adobe has forced me into it. Hopefully a web-search by others will bring people to this page.

I'm going to do what NightSkyGuy has done - and disable it.

Well, if the font and cloud services of the Creative Cloud Desktop manager aren't essential to you right now, you can actually download and maintain all the CC apps without using it...

How?  For starters, to install any Adobe CC tool yourself (if you don't already have it), you can use the CC Direct Download Links.  That puts the full base release on your computer (the free trial version), which is activated by signing in with your membership when you start up the tool itself.

Then to update it (or any existing installation) with ongoing software upgrades, you can use the CC update patches (regularly maintained):

All CC Updates for Windows

All CC Updates for Mac OS

The one disadvantage is you have to manually manage the files and installations, as used to be the case (the old-fashioned way)...  But if no other options are working or easily available to you, then there is a workable solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2014 2:59 PM   in reply to mialisa57

I had the same problem while trying to install Creative Clouds on windows 7.

I simply fixed this by changing my firewalls settings to give this program super - trusted access. (I was using zone alam switching to trusted tab didnt work had to switch it to supe trusted).

I assume for most of you if you have a firewall and you're encountering this problem also. Then you can try to fix it by giving the program more access on your firewall.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points