I have this issue for some months now and tried to get around it several times but no solution turned out to work.
I have tried to reset all audio devices, reconfigured everything, reinstalled the OSX and also, this doesn't work with Audition CC either.
First, here's my specifications:
Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)
Intel High Definition Audio [S/PDIF used over ONKYO PR-SC5509, BOSE Acoustimass 15]
12 GB RAM / 3.2 Ghz (Quad) Xeon
Here's my audio-device settings (Audition):
I'm quite confused about this, Windows' Audition plays audio fine (that is, independent of format: 44 khz, 48 khz and 96 khz work).
My channel map:
Here's my audio device overview:
Any chance fixing this? Thank you!
I assume that your SPDIF setup works in other applications on OSX, it wasn't clear that when you mentioned it working on Windows, that it was indeed on the same computer and speaker system.
Secondly, I'd double-check all your sample rates are the same. That is, Audition's current file is 44.1 kHz, the CoreAudio driver is at 44.1 kHz, and whatever is receiving the SPDIF signal is also clocked at 44.1 kHz (or whatever the consistent sample rate is). Also, you may wish to try having the clock master be the output instead of the input (or vice versa).
Charles VW wrote:
Also, you may wish to try having the clock master be the output instead of the input (or vice versa).
From past experience with S/PDIF, that's the one I'd be looking at first. In fact, the clocking settings in general; chances are that it will have been set to external on the input, otherwise it would only record with dirty great clicks every few seconds. But if it's set to external input sync, then there's no way it will play back anything unless there's still a sync input to the device. And with some devices, you actually have to switch this manually between recording and playback - which is a pain.
The "play" sign turned green; nothing else happens.
However, Audition doesn't even play music if I connect a cinch soundsystem.
I tried creating a virtual "main device" from the Audio-Midi-Setup, which didn't help it at all. Also, forcing the sample rate doesn't work. Disabling "computer specific" settings neither.. I'd be thrilled to see it working because this issue accelerates the obsolescence of OSX on my Mac
Actually, I tried every settings toggle there could be.. which didn't work. Also, resetting Audition doesn't do anything.
Here's Audition CC next to Audition CS6 — both trying to play but failing:
Thanks for your help!
The only thing I can tell you definitively is that if Audition's transport controls don't work, then even if it looks as though your sound device is connected, Audition can't see it properly. So initially, I'd check to see if there's an updated driver for it.