Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition won't play (S/PDIF, OSX)

Jun 20, 2013 11:14 AM

Tags: #error #audio #playback #audition #device #playback_issues

Hey there.

I have this issue for some months now and tried to get around it several times but no solution turned out to work.

I have tried to reset all audio devices, reconfigured everything, reinstalled the OSX and also, this doesn't work with Audition CC either.

First, here's my specifications:

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010)

Intel High Definition Audio [S/PDIF used over ONKYO PR-SC5509, BOSE Acoustimass 15]

OSX 10.8.4

12 GB RAM / 3.2 Ghz (Quad) Xeon

Here's my audio-device settings (Audition):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/2x0r1o2M2v0t2U3K1Q1R/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-20%20um%2020.05.55.png

I'm quite confused about this, Windows' Audition plays audio fine (that is, independent of format: 44 khz, 48 khz and 96 khz work).

My channel map:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/2y3F2R09001Q0H0X0A3P/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-20%20um%2020.13.43.png

Here's my audio device overview:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0t431R1y1q3N1l034035/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-20%20um%2020.09.11.png

Any chance fixing this? Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to gacollette

I assume that your SPDIF setup works in other applications on OSX, it wasn't clear that when you mentioned it working on Windows, that it was indeed on the same computer and speaker system.

Secondly, I'd double-check all your sample rates are the same.  That is, Audition's current file is 44.1 kHz, the CoreAudio driver is at 44.1 kHz, and whatever is receiving the SPDIF signal is also clocked at 44.1 kHz (or whatever the consistent sample rate is).  Also, you may wish to try having the clock master be the output instead of the input (or vice versa).

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 27, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to Charles VW

Charles VW wrote:

Also, you may wish to try having the clock master be the output instead of the input (or vice versa).

From past experience with S/PDIF, that's the one I'd be looking at first. In fact, the clocking settings in general; chances are that it will have been set to external on the input, otherwise it would only record with dirty great clicks every few seconds. But if it's set to external input sync, then there's no way it will play back anything unless there's still a sync input to the device. And with some devices, you actually have to switch this manually between recording and playback - which is a pain.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,595 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 27, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to gacollette

The only thing I can tell you definitively is that if Audition's transport controls don't work, then even if it looks as though your sound device is connected, Audition can't see it properly. So initially, I'd check to see if there's an updated driver for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 1:56 PM   in reply to gacollette

I just came across this, am having the same issue, I think, or the same symptom: load a file into Audition CC (Mac, Mavericks), see the waveform, hit play, the triangle turns green and the message is that it is playing, but the playhead doesn't move. All other apps (CC and otherwise) work fine with built in line out or my AJA card, Audition is set for any of those, correct sample rate, but the transport controls don't work. Have tried uninstalling, uninstalling with deleting the prefs, and still it is the same.

Any suggestions? Help please!!!!

Thanks,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 1:29 AM   in reply to MHanish1472

Same problems without AJA. Only core audio. But i have alot of blackmagic software installed ;-)

MBPR2013 / CS6 / CC

For now i make sound editing in premiere! /-:

Any one can help?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2014 1:33 PM   in reply to gacollette

I'd the same problem and solve it.

I simply delete the preferences of Audition.

see this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4761844

Now Audition works fine again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points