Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator autosave recovery file...

Jun 20, 2013 11:57 AM

Two questions...

I just downloaded Illustrator CC and it crashed while I was working on it.

1) How/where do I recover the file

2) Where do I set the autosave options?

Thanks

R.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to ricko_123

The answer to both questions is you don't. Illustrator will not be able to recover a crashed file and has no autosave.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Illustrator will, on very rare occassions, recover a file after a crash. it's EXCEPTIONALLY rare though. It has something to do with how and why the crash occured and only in special instances is recover possible. If Illustrator does not recover the file when you relaunch the app, there's no other way to recover anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to ricko_123

It has been requested for decades. Without results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to ricko_123

No one here will know why specifically. Adobe doesn't share development information. One possible holdback may have been the fact that Illustrator was a 32bit app up until CS6. Now that it's a 64bit app, the prospects of an auto-save or recovery feature are more likely from my understanding.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to ricko_123

As pointed out by Scott, you will never get an official reason.

However, I don't think 32 bit vs. 64 bit does explain it. InDesign, for example, had got recovery mechanisms about 12 years ago. At that time it was certainly not a 64 bit programme …

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

I'm just reciting what I've read. I got the distinct impression that pre-CS6 the code base for Illustrator was much less-than-ideal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to ricko_123

ricko,

Out of curiosity, does anybody know why?

I believe I remember someone once saying that a long unexpected saving would be quite disturbing, and potentially wrecking, so it was better to control it oneself.

Obviously, this requires that lack of total immersion.

But as it has already been said: no one knows; or no one that knows has ever told anyone here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge
    the motion apps all have an autosave feature (After Effects / Premiere) and neither of them freeze when it's saving.

it really is crap they haven't implemented this feature ... a little competition would do adobe wonders.

2013-07-01 12.34.19 am.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:49 AM   in reply to ricko_123

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to imaybeclason

There is competition for Illustrator... Inkscape, and it's had an autosave feature for quite some time...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to ricko_123

Dear Adobe: !@$% YOU! I just lost a good chunk of work because of your failure to implement the most basic of features in Illustrator. I want a refund for this month's creative cloud subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to ricko_123

Good Lord Adobe!

I just have lost full 2 hours worth of work

Please please implement that feature that is in other adobe apps!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 9:11 AM   in reply to ricko_123

I set a reminder to save every 15 min. (trust me, something you may think will take you 10 min may very easily take 45 depending on complexity and momentum) but with the reminder at least you will only need to make up 15 min of work, I so hear your pain and have been there!!  With that said, Illustrator CC using cloud implementation would seem adobe could without too much effort add this to all CC apps. Even a third party application that ran in background, could capture a pdf of the work, wouldn't be completely native file but at least you have something to work off of. The fact that the adobe illustrator team has ignored its users on this seems like they just don't care, The hardware manufacturers (including microsoft and apple) have learned that ignoring your user base is a very destructive path. will try inkscape. thanks benjamin.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2014 2:10 PM   in reply to ricko_123

This could help as a solution for Illustrator autosave:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/13272/is-there-an-aut osave-feature-in-adobe-illustrator

[see top answer]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 2:08 PM   in reply to ricko_123

Not even Autosave would help when Illustrator saves corrupt files that it will not read again.  I manually saved my work moments before a complete Illustrator CC crash, and that saved file is useless, two days of work gone.  So now to avoid this, I have to save multiple versions of large AI files, because whatever Illustrator touches it could destroy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points