• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator autosave recovery file...

Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two questions...

I just downloaded Illustrator CC and it crashed while I was working on it.

1) How/where do I recover the file

2) Where do I set the autosave options?

Thanks

R.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

DS WildOutWest wrote:

... surely... it's time for this. Think of all the lost hours - please please please fix this.

And good news, Adobe just did:

Illustrator CC 2015: New features summary

So they were listening and now there is a new feature in Illustrator called Recovery...

Here's more information on it:

Illustrator Help | Recover document data after a crash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to both questions is you don't. Illustrator will not be able to recover a crashed file and has no autosave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator will, on very rare occassions, recover a file after a crash. it's EXCEPTIONALLY rare though. It has something to do with how and why the crash occured and only in special instances is recover possible. If Illustrator does not recover the file when you relaunch the app, there's no other way to recover anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Adobe not have implemented such insanely simple and obvious feature???

There are no words to even begin to describe the insanity of such choice...!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been requested for decades. Without results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, does anybody know why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one here will know why specifically. Adobe doesn't share development information. One possible holdback may have been the fact that Illustrator was a 32bit app up until CS6. Now that it's a 64bit app, the prospects of an auto-save or recovery feature are more likely from my understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pointed out by Scott, you will never get an official reason.

However, I don't think 32 bit vs. 64 bit does explain it. InDesign, for example, had got recovery mechanisms about 12 years ago. At that time it was certainly not a 64 bit programme …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just reciting what I've read. I got the distinct impression that pre-CS6 the code base for Illustrator was much less-than-ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ricko,

Out of curiosity, does anybody know why?

I believe I remember someone once saying that a long unexpected saving would be quite disturbing, and potentially wrecking, so it was better to control it oneself.

Obviously, this requires that lack of total immersion.

But as it has already been said: no one knows; or no one that knows has ever told anyone here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the motion apps all have an autosave feature (After Effects / Premiere) and neither of them freeze when it's saving.

it really is crap they haven't implemented this feature ... a little competition would do adobe wonders.

2013-07-01 12.34.19 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is competition for Illustrator... Inkscape, and it's had an autosave feature for quite some time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason this made it into Photoshop but not Illustrator....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, the link you provided is detected as a "threat" by my ESET Antivirus.

(Forgive me If I am wrong, I ain't too tech savvy in these matters.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe: !@$% YOU! I just lost a good chunk of work because of your failure to implement the most basic of features in Illustrator. I want a refund for this month's creative cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Lord Adobe!

I just have lost full 2 hours worth of work

Please please implement that feature that is in other adobe apps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set a reminder to save every 15 min. (trust me, something you may think will take you 10 min may very easily take 45 depending on complexity and momentum) but with the reminder at least you will only need to make up 15 min of work, I so hear your pain and have been there!!  With that said, Illustrator CC using cloud implementation would seem adobe could without too much effort add this to all CC apps. Even a third party application that ran in background, could capture a pdf of the work, wouldn't be completely native file but at least you have something to work off of. The fact that the adobe illustrator team has ignored its users on this seems like they just don't care, The hardware manufacturers (including microsoft and apple) have learned that ignoring your user base is a very destructive path. will try inkscape. thanks benjamin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could help as a solution for Illustrator autosave:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/13272/is-there-an-autosave-feature-in-adobe-illustr...

[see top answer]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even Autosave would help when Illustrator saves corrupt files that it will not read again.  I manually saved my work moments before a complete Illustrator CC crash, and that saved file is useless, two days of work gone.  So now to avoid this, I have to save multiple versions of large AI files, because whatever Illustrator touches it could destroy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be it is because Illustrator ist the most buggy Application by Adobe at all, and maybe because there exist a hand of Macromedia Freehand devolopers living under a rock doing that Illustrator coding?
Well I don't know the answer, but I know for sure that I lost a day because for some reason my STRG+S was a little late and the application hang.

I'm mad as hell ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that by using Maverick's Cache Cleaner I can use the view Processes feature to 'unstuck' illustrator (resume) almost all of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac then you can also use the app "Ai Auto Save" to enable periodic saving of Illustrator files. It's available on the Mac App Store here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ai-auto-save/id877602617?ls=1&mt=12

...for the sake of transparency, I'm the developer! I made the app after experiencing the frustrations discussed above. Hope you find it useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

superscape - I tried your app. It just did it's first autosave - so far so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines