Skip navigation
ross8428
Currently Being Moderated

Can you run Bridge CC in the Background the way you could with cs4, cs5, etc ?

Jun 20, 2013 12:33 PM

One of the best things about Bridge was that I could run it in the background (as in there is a little Br icon near my clock) and not have it taking up a space on my task bar.  I cannot seem to figure out how to do this with CC.  Any suggestions?  Running windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to ross8428

I've noticed the same. It isn't even running in the background because if you close it the task is no longer running. You can only minimize to task bar. So the full application is running all the time as if you launched it yourself instead of the way it used to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to ross8428

In other versions it was in preferences/advanced.  Is that opion not there in CC?

I have always advised against running in the background as (1) you can not get updates to PS or Bridge if it is on.  But not sure if that applies to PS now that it is a separate program.

(2) any changes you make to workplace will not be saved unless you close program with File/Exit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to ross8428

ross8428 wrote:

no, there is no option under advanced but run at startup.

That was the option under all the CS versions.  Officially it says "start Bridge at Login".  Sounds like it is same option.

THe other issues you are talking about are OS issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to ross8428

To get stuff in the area by the clock you will have to go into the OS and find out how to add it there.  But it is an OS issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to ross8428

Just a guess, but in CC they have changed the installer, as it is now a separate program, and the coded line to  add an icon in that taskbar may have not been included.

To many that is a blessing as too many software manufactors add to the start toolbar and it is difficult to get rid of them.  THe more processes you have running in the background the slower the computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Also, I have CS5 and CS6 on my machine.  THe Bridge icon only shows up in the startup taskbar when I activate the program. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to ross8428

A screen shot or two would help. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to ross8428

Your explanation is fine.  I'm also wondering how to get Bridge CC to start at login, but minimized to the system tray, as had been the case with Bridge CS6 and before.  (I'm also using Win 7.)

I agree that this not an OS issue as developers have to consciously build support for minimizing to the system tray into their apps.  Unless I'm not seeing a setting somewhere, it looks like the capability was taken out of Bridge CC.  To Curt Y's point, it does take up resources when "running" in the background -- it usually doesn't consume CPU, just memory, unless brought to the foreground to do stuff or when running a batch process -- and thus can contribute to workstation performance problems, depending on circumstances.  But, that said, I personally believe the end user should be given the ability to configure it as they see fit.  If you've got the resources to run it that way, hey, why not?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to kpaetow

Sorry, but as someone who uses Windows only for the most menial tasks on a Toshiba laptop and as rarely as possible, I'm still having trouble picturing your issue.

Is there something preventing you from minimizing the Bridge window after the application launches?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to station_two

Bridge Preferences.JPG

The preference dialog in CC clearly states that bridge will be launched in the background, which works fine in CS6 but not in CC.

In CC it opens fully. Statements like " I have always advised against running in the background as (1) you can not get updates to PS or Bridge if it is on." have no merit, because the updater will ask you to close the program, before proceeding.

Just to minimize it after opening, come on!

The fact is that the preference as presented does not work. Adobe will eventually work it out I presume, in the meantime no big deal.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to buidlmacha

buidlmacha wrote:

In CC it opens fully. Statements like " I have always advised against running in the background as (1) you can not get updates to PS or Bridge if it is on." have no merit, because the updater will ask you to close the program, before proceeding.

You do not see the dozens of posts where user states "installer says to close Bridge before undating, but Bridge IS ClOSED".  So glad this option does not work.  It takes what, less than 7 seconds to open and mimize?  Is anyone that rushed for time?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Curt Y

A simple question was ask:”Why is it not working as in CS6……”.

To address the question by implying  it is better for you not to have this preference in the first place, is rather condescending.  

Curt Y wrote:

buidlmacha wrote:

You do not see the dozens of posts where user states "installer says to close Bridge before undating, but Bridge IS ClOSED".  So glad this option does not work.  It takes what, less than 7 seconds to open and mimize?  Is anyone that rushed for time?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 27, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to buidlmacha

The fact is that the preference as presented does not work. Adobe will eventually work it out I presume, in the meantime no big deal.

As a Mac user I did not understand your problem, I have always multiple apps open and the one on top is active. But now I think you are talking about the Bridge preferences itself.

On a Mac it has the option to start at login and then to hide itself in the background (in other words, not showing on the screen but simply to be activated choosing the app icon in the dock and show again without the need to first start).

To my knowledge this setting has never worked correctly as long as I can remember being present (CS3 or even CS2?)

Hence I deselect this option and use the system preferences itself to start at login and don't hide (but that is my choice, YMMV).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to ross8428

I also find it annoying, and appreciated it running in the background so that it was always there when I needed it, but was not "in my face" but instead was tucked rather nicely in the taskbar area by the clock.  I have plenty of RAM, so resources weren't a problem.

Probably my biggest pet pieve on the internet is people coming into a thread and suggesting you don't need/shouldn't need whatever thing you're concerned about.  It's like if the postman suddenly changed up where he put your mail, and instead of in the mailbox, he frickin' taped each letter onto your front door, and when you asked politey "What happened to the old way -- that worked a lot better for me?", he simply replies: "Well you should prefer it this way."  As if by merely stating it you suddenly should prefer the "new" way. 

Absolutely useless reply, IMO.  Why even bother posting something like that?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to brandtryan

Is there any indication the Adobe will change things so that Bridge will run in the background only?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 13, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to TroyWash

Can you be more specific?

I have a Mac and Bridge CC runs his tasks while I use another app without problems. Only on a Mac applications that like PS can force it self to front while running an action but that is due to OS architecture. But even then when you have another app in front it will still respect the first active window.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 3:05 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

The main problem for me is that I prefer that Brige stay always on background to not lost my navigation storic. As it was on earlier versions. Now every time I open Bridge CC it losts the lasts folders I was.

On my Mac Bridge start at login minimized, but not on W7.

For me, this is a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 7:53 AM   in reply to caebrasil

As a Win user I still do not understand the problem.  If you open Bridge, then minimize, it is running, but not in your face.  The icon is in the taskbar ready to click if you need to open application. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 8:11 AM   in reply to Curt Y

You are correct Curt.  I think the issue is that it's just annoying to those of us who used to be able to have it run in the background.  I wish it worked differently with CC, but I've gotten over it at this point.  Change!... it's bound to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 8:54 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt, 3 points:

• Start at login (few seconds matter on productivity);
    • Icon tray (yes, I prefer);
    • The habit of close and not minimize the software, after last years, and lost historic.

Not a big deal, but I just don't understand why it doesn't works on Windows.

The option on Advanced tab says "launch Bridge in the background" and this is not true.

Like Troywash said, it's annoying.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 15, 2014 3:14 AM   in reply to caebrasil

The main problem for me is that I prefer that Brige stay always on background to not lost my navigation storic. As it was on earlier versions. Now every time I open Bridge CC it losts the lasts folders I was.

It seems you need a pref reset to restore this behavior. Only speaking about Mac I have Bridge started at start up of my machine (including some other apps) every morning automatically at the same time. So when I start working all apps are ready and at hand.

Only problem I have is when I last used the output module before shutting down, this does not seem able to remember the full size screen (30") but resizes to about 25 " at start up. In all other occurrences it opens with the last used window full screen and showing the folder last use.

Also I often use multiple windows for ease of having different workspaces and navigation at hand just by cycling through the windows. It would be nice if Bridge remembered all open windows from the previous day but sadly enough this is not possible. The one last used however should show again after start up.

As for last used manual sort order, Paul Riggott once wrote a script to retain the last manual sort order used because Bridge it self is not capable of this to retrieve once it has been altered.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points