Skip navigation
DrKevRobinson
Currently Being Moderated

CS3 ate my files. Can I get them back?

Jun 20, 2013 1:23 PM

Tags: #problem #photos #bridge #mac

Bridge CS3 has, on opening a folder, seemingly deleted the entire contents of the folder ... and changed the folder modified date to 31 May 1915.

Does anyone know where these files might have gone and how/if I can recover them? They were stored on an external hard drive.

Thanks in advance

K

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 20, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to DrKevRobinson

Does anyone know where these files might have gone and how/if I can recover them? They were stored on an external hard drive

Bridge is a browser and can delete files to the trash on your command but not edit them in a way to destroy as you describe.

First check your trash can and do a search on your computer before you empty the trash. Then run a check on your external disk. CS3 is known as the worst Bridge version ever but this should not happen.

Can you specify more about OS version and what external disk (connection etc.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 21, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to DrKevRobinson

Apparently it's in MS-DOS (FAT32) format and made by iomega.

Try someone with Windows to check this disk, I'm not very familiar with Windows and also not with the FAT32 formatting but although Mac can read and write this it also has data in max of 2 or 4 GB blocks as I always understood.

I never use these formats but maybe you need to exchange them with Windows?

And this will probably not help you now but I can't express enough the importance of having a prober back up, always.

It might be the case you have set export cache to folders as an option, otherwise Bridge only reads the data. Unless you use metadata adding or renaming, rating labeling nothing is being written to the files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points