Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CC - Importing MPEG sequence 720x576

Jun 20, 2013 3:15 PM

Hello,

When importing a video from an old DV camera, I have many sequences in 720x576 / 25ips ... When I open these video in CC I get a black border on the right side of the video, about 15 px wide. I am not able to understand where it comes from as long as when I read the sequence in either VLC or other players, I don't have this black border on the right side. It's old video format (.VOB) from an old camera writing on small DVD.

I wasn't having this issue with previous version (CS6). So maybe you could help me to understand what's the issue in CC ?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to fhoulbr36

Moving this to Premiere Pro forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to fhoulbr36

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to fhoulbr36

Without an actual file to inspect, I have no clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:54 PM   in reply to fhoulbr36

OK, the problem is the clip isn't actually 720 x 576, it's 704 x 576.  PP is filling in the missing pixels with black.  You can get rid of it by manually creating a custom sequence with the correct dimensions.

The larger issue is why is the clip 704?  While that is a part of the DVD spec, it isn't common to actually use it.  720 is the norm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Creating a 704x576 sequence will not do it. You still end up with a small black bar.

I think its the PAR used when this mpeg was made. Probaly different from the PAR Premiere now uses.

I would stick to 720x576 and scale it a bit up.

Scale it up to 102% and move it a slightly to the right.

You can do that when you have finish editing by nesting the whole sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 9:41 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Actually this one in VLC is saying its 704x576 and in VLC you can trust.

im also having same problem but my file really is 720x576 and in premiere it cuts all of right side off till 540x576

What is solution? This bug in Premiere turns out exists for many years. I just found out that all my videos ive been making been cut off by Premiere on import on specific *.mod files filmed in 16:9. PAL and i just now noticed couse now i made video in witch i needed specific things on both sides of video.. Adobe.. WTF? How its possible that theres so big bug in your system for many years?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 9:47 AM   in reply to Kangarooo

This is a known issue with .mod files. I believe the only fixes are to convert, or use another camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 10:00 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

as we see here its Adobe issue.. Only problem exist in Adobe and not mine *.mod files or with here given file *.vob couse they show correct in vlc but not in premiere so its its Adobe Issue.

I didnt noticed this for a year.. now i just realized and checked- all my videos imported in premiere are 4:3 while saying 16:9 but in camera settings is 16:9 and in VLC playing files they are 16:9 too.

This is just ridiculus couse this problem exists and isnt solvable and while theres no solution been for many years (as i now am searching in forums) but also this bug hasnt been fixed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points