Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Image Size and Resolution in CC

Jun 20, 2013 4:12 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cc #resolution_change

Hi there.

Ok, maybe i'm missing something, but how do i reduce the ppi's of a given image in the Photoshop CC? Changing it in the image size, in the Resolution field, it acomplish nothing. It logs an entry in the History panel, but nothing changes in the picture. Did Adobe changed how this works, or it's just a bug?

Thank you.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Itzatez

That not new. Changing and image's DPI resolution in image size with Resample not checked does nothing but change the images Print DPI setting. Not a single pixel is changed.

If you reduce the DPI the image will print larger check the width and hight shown in Image Size. Or turn on rulers look at the print size.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jun 20, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to Itzatez

An Image should look like it did. Perhaps cc is changing the zoom percent its being display at so the display size stays the same. Just a guess I don't live in the cloud. Still it hard to believe Adobe would break Image size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 21, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Itzatez

Hello, how many pixels are there in each document?

Could you post screenshots (before and after, with ruler set to pixels, and one of the image size dialog), or even a video? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/963429?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jun 21, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to Itzatez

Thanks!

Where do you see the pixel count and the weight of the document?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Itzatez

In the image-resize area, itself, you can change the units to Pixels and in CS6 changing the PPI number with Resample checked will change the Pixel numbers real time.  I don’t have PS-CC, yet, but from what is being said, those pixel numbers don’t change at all.

See if the PPI is being taken into account at all by placing the two saved documents that are identical pixel dimensions but that have different PPI numbers and see if they are different sizes in the new document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to Itzatez

The higher ppi should be a lot bigger, right?

It should be if you have Resample checked.

Adobe has a all new Image Size Dialog for CC. Please post a video grab when you can. I'm interested to see what is happening.

I know it now has a "Fit To" choice... I wonder if that is somehow over-riding Resmaple?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to Itzatez

Is "Fit To" set to a preset size?

I wish I had CC so I could try this out. Adobe rebuilt Image Size Dialog for CC, so there certainly is a chance a bug got in there.

Can you even post 2 screen grabs of the before/after Image Size dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Itzatez

You have Width and Height set to Percent. Try setting to real-world measurement, like inches or cm.

(and actually that is not new behavior. CS6 behaved same way when width and height were set to percent)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Itzatez

So, you are saying if you open a file, open the Image Size dialog, change the W and D to inches, then type in a new PPI, makeing sure resample is checked, nothing happens?

It makes no difference mate. The only thing that changes the document in that window, is if you change the size of the document directly in the height and width. If you change it in the resolution it does nothing.

If you set the W and H to inches, then change the PPI (with Resample checked) the W and H are suppose to remain the same, that is how it works. But you should see an increase in pixel dimension and file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Itzatez

I have CC.  It seems to me that if you have proportions constrained, changing the pixels or percent settings makes no visible difference.  But if you have the proportions set to anything else - like inches or centimeters - then changing the resolution up and down produces visible changes in image size.  I don't know if that's how it is supposed to work.  I'm still getting used to the new image size function.  I like the fact that you can create template sizes - this makes standardising image sizes much easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Itzatez

If you undertake the steps I set out in my post are you seeing the same results as me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to Itzatez

Instead of a re-install, I would trash your PS preferences.

And since your movie depicted expected behavior, you may want to post one with W and D set to inches to help others trouble-shoot or recreate the behavior (bug?) you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Itzatez

pixel dimensions are what count (not resolution ppi/dpi)

if you don't change pixel dimensions, i would not expect to see any changes in Ps preview (or document size)

or i missed something...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Itzatez

i have the same issue...  changing dpi from 300 to 72 doesnt change the pixel size at all...

ie.  going from a 5000x3000 pixel image at 300 ppi to 72 dpi would scale the image down to 1200x720pixels.

how did you solve this problem???

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to Damir Frkovic

In the Image Size Dialog, if Resample is checked, the pixel dimensions will change if you change the PPI.  If left unchecked, then all that happens when you change he PPI is you will see a change in the print size.

PPI ("DPI" is an incorrect term here) is only a bit of metadata associated with an image file. It has no real meaning by itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 3, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to Itzatez

The same thing is happening to me. I upsample with no change in file size. It acts as if I do no have resample checked. I hate to have to trash and re-install. it's a bug. Pure and simple.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to graphicsbenm

This is also happening to me in CC. Reset preferences.. still not working. No time to reinstall today.. will try that if I must but can someone please fix this bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to Itzatez

I am having this same issue in Photoshop CC (14.1.2 64-bit) in Windows 8 Pro. If I have resample checked and try to change the file size by changing the resolution, the file size does not change, only the dimensions (w x h in inches, not the number of pixels) of the file changes. It acts like the resample checkbox is not checked. If I try and change the image size (resample) using any other method (percent, inches, pixels, etc.) the file is resized and resampled appropriately.This is definitely a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2013 3:06 AM   in reply to charles badland

Try setting to real-world measurement, like inches or cm.

Hi Charles, i think that change in cm/mm/in it's the only way to change the image ppi (in my case save/resample it to 108ppi). Can you confirm that this is correct?

Anyway when i go to image size (new panel of CC) the w/h are:

1) grey and always set in pixel with resample flagged.

2) always set in inches with resample NON-flagged (also if my ruler unit is in Pixel).

ppi.jpg

(and actually that is not new behavior. CS6 behaved same way when width and height were set to percent)

In CS6 and CC i never seen w/h in percent  - where is my error?

Many thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Itzatez

1. I had to set my units & rulers prefrences to inches.

2. Then go to image size making sure resample is checked and when you change the resolution it properly scales the image dimensions.

As a web developer this new feature adds extra steps to my work load converting everything back to pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:25 AM   in reply to Itzatez

I have the exact same issue.

Before, I could change from 300 dpi to 72 dpi, and the pixels would change.

But now, nothin happens.

Instead, I now have to change the percentage on the image.

This is really annoying...

//Kalle

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Itzatez

I'm having the same issue. I've worked with photoshop since version 3 and I'm vary familiar with the image size dialog. This is a bug with photoshop cc and it's very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 5:08 PM   in reply to Pen&Paper

I'm going to chime in as well. I'm having the same problem. I've also been using Photoshop since v3.0 and to me this is quite simply a bug in CC. I've tried specifying pixels, centermeters, resample is checked on and I've even specified the method for resizing pixels (Bicubic etc.).

I want to teach basic principles of how resolution affects images and their quality when printed. I can't even do that with Photoshop CC. Even if trashing prefs or reinstalling is an option, I don't have control over that in the Mac lab.

Fix it Adobe. This is lame.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points