Skip navigation
Paul Slemmer
Currently Being Moderated

Unexpected Shift+parent Behavior - AE CC

Jun 20, 2013 8:21 PM

Todd mentioned that shift+parent has some new functionality in the "What's New" post.

(http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-ef fects-next.html - See "changes to Shift+parenting behavior:")

However, I've noticed another change that is less than desirable.  When shift+parenting, the child layer jumps to the comp center coordinates (eg. [960, 540]) instead of the anchor point coordinates of the parent as it would in CS6.

Is this intended and/or should I report a bug?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

I'd call it a bug...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

Seems to be working correctly for me (not as described above). Can you post detailed steps to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

DaveS

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

I think you are misinterpreting what it says in the explanation. Let's say your child layer is at 200, 200 and the parent layer is at 400, 400. If you hold down the shift key and select the parent layer the child layer will move to 400, 400 in the comp window. This happens whether or not the child layer was previously connected to the same or a different parent layer.

After holding down the shift key and selecting a parent the position of both layers should be the same. The position values may not be the same, but the actual position should be. In other words if you child layer and your parent layer were both 200 pixels square they should overlap perfectly when using the shift + select parent feature as long as the anchor points for both layers are the same are the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

I just verified the change in behavior between CS6 and CC. I'd submit a bug. I did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Indeed, it's a bug. Thanks to Paul for bringing it up, and Rick for filing it. Workaround is to set the child's parent to None before shift-parenting it to another layer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points