Skip navigation
jurlan3
Currently Being Moderated

Web Data Scraping with Adobe Flex?

Jun 21, 2013 12:42 AM

Tags: #data #flex #scraping

Hi all.

I need to get a lot of data coming from several websites.

For now, I'm using Djuggler, but I'm wondering if something simular can be achieved with Adobe Flex?

I have no experience with Adobe Flex in this field, so any remarks, comments, suggestions, tutorials, would be much much appreciated!

I need to have good arguments to convince my boss to buy Adobe Flex :-)

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Kind Regards

Jurgen Landrie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to jurlan3

Flex runs in Flash and does not have access to the HTML DOM, so if you are trying to get your data that way, it won't help.  Flex can call web services and process the XML or JSON data returned from those services.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to jurlan3

Jurgen, you are putting yourself out on a limb by proposing Flex as a tool for web-scraping. It has no specific features for that purpose and several drawbacks in comparison with a dedicated tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to jurlan3

Better to propose it for a purpose to which it is suited, than for a purpose for which it is not particularly capable.

Try using the trial to do some screen-scraping (or anything else) and see how you get on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to jurlan3

No.  Read-access won't help.  What is required is that there is a webservice available for your use.

For example, you can go to Yahoo and view stock quotes via the Yahoo finance page.  And yes, you can screen-scrape it, but Yahoo also provides a webservice to access the quotes directly.  Flex is designed to make calls to those webservices and display the data.  IIRC, the terms and conditions of many websites discourage or disallow screen-scraping.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Flex harUI

the terms and conditions of many websites discourage or disallow screen-scraping.

Absolutely.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points