Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A client is asking to give them the ID «open» files

Jun 21, 2013 1:22 AM

Arguing that some changes to a reprint page or other elements could be changed.

But this involves give also the cooking of the files. (Inventions, personal formulas, Greps, etc)

How to resolve this as the PDF does not sound good enough for him?

It is a very good thread to this in

http://aigasf.org/community/legalities/do_you_have_to_give_your_freela nce_client_your_digital_files

but in the legal matter.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

It comes down to what the agreement was when you made the deal. Was it discussed that they would get a print ready pdf? Or was it discussed they would get the files?

If you only agreed to a PDF then that's what they get. And if they want the open files then you should charge appropriately.

You could be really mean and "break all links to styles"

Remove your GREPS and automatically override master page items and just give them a very vanilla version of your file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

You may find useful this nice free script:

TurnGrepStyles2CharStyles.jsx (google for it)

and maybe this thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1074387?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Well a "vanilla" version basically means that you've taken out all the hard work you've done - like Master Pages.

Firstly make a Copy of the file and store the original safely.

On the copy

If you select all the Pages in the Pages Panel and then use the sub menu of the panel (top right of panel) and choose Override all master page items.

You can then go your A master, B Master and remove all the items from them.

You can also select all your text and in the Sub Menu of the Paragraph Styles you can choose "Break Link to Styles" then delete all the styles you've created.

You can use the script

http://indesignsecrets.com/free-scripts-help-fix-word-formatting.php

Instructions

http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

And this will convert all your Grep styles to character styles.

Again by selecting all the Text you can Break the link to the Character Styles in the Character Style panel.

This way - what they get is all the content, but they won't get your innovative GREPs or handy styles for styling the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Hi Camilo,

Simpler is just, with no text selected, select all the paragraph styles

in the paragraph style palette, and delete them. Replace with [No

Paragraph Style] and tick "Preserve Formatting". Do the same for the

character styles.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

The scope of the idea?

They want the files, you don't want to hand over your clever tricks you used to make it happen.

The idea is to give them the file, but remove the items that you don't want to share with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

I understand that you don't want to share your proprietary content, but do you ever want to work for theses folks again? You won't if you do what's being suggested here.

Why not just tell them that you don't deliver raw files because they contain proprietary information, and that you want to be sure they are converted to PDF using the correct settings, and that you'd be more than happy to make any changes they need for a nominal cost, or even free, as a gesture of goodwill? Send along a PDF enabled for commenting that they can mark up and return.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Really depends on relationship with the client.

I don't think it would burn bridges. If it wasn't in the original contract they have no obligation to supply the raw files. If they want to buy them they should have that option.

If the user has made specific greps and styles for the production of the book then they can choose to remove them and retain the integritity of the layout.

If the client wants to pay even more they can have the file as is.

I receive files from designers regularly and they strip out most of the content. I don't mind because I rebuild the content anyway.

On the other hand - I always just send files on as they are - I don't charge any extra, but if they can't work the file it's not my fault. I repeatedly get asked "how do you change this and that" and I just tell them if they want me to make the changes I will for a fee - otherwise the file is there's and I can't offer support for free.

If you go Peters route of Marked Up Annotations in the PDF from the client I recommend the Annotations Plugin from DTP Tools http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=anid

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Another reason for not providing native files is version compatibility, by the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Really depends on relationship with the client.

I don't think it would burn bridges. If it wasn't in the original contract they have no obligation to supply the raw files. If they want to buy them they should have that option.

Well it doesn't sound like there was a formal contract, and if I asked for the original files and received adulterated versions that were missing GREP styles, or any other feature that would allow me to edit properly (and I figured it out), I'd never do business with the person providing them again, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else, either.

But that's me. I hardly think any GREP expression or styling trick is the sort of thing one should keep secret, especially if you've had someone else's help in constructing it. If I'm hired to do a job, any asset produced for that job is avaialble to the client on request. I'll even send the files to a competitor if the client decides to dump me, but nobody has asked me to do that yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

You are under no obligation to supply the fonts (and in fact are generally legally prevented from doing so by the font license). If you bought them specifically for that client (and charged them for doing so) and use them for nothing else and will remove them from your system when you transfer the font license, it's a nice gesture to transfer them, but not, I think a necessity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

If I'm hired to do a job, any asset produced for that job is avaialble to the client on request. I'll even send the files to a competitor if the client decides to dump me, but nobody has asked me to do that yet.

This statement of Peter's is what I have always done. It is amazing how many times in the past where I have turned files over *and* they have used another firm for maybe years, they have come back to me eventually. And sometimes they haven't.

The catalog I did last year was explicitly spec'd for handing over the files--but I always do anyway. I include a readme.txt file for minimal use instructions that cover things like fonts, which I never supply. It has suggested web sites to purchase the same fonts and I tell them they may have reflow (and other) issues should their font version(s) be newer than mine. It also includes a brief on when and how to use paragraph and character styles, tables and merges (if that was the source), etc.

It was initially difficult for me to begin handing over source files. I felt the customers were somehow trying to cut me out of the picture for future work. That was back in 1989. I am still updating manuals and catalogs, ads and booth materials for some of them.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

I see it this way - you can offer 3 pricing structures, and something I offer to clients. Because I don't think they would hire someone if they could do it themselves, so complicated GREP strings could really frustrate them - so removing them is probably best and replace them with the appropriate character styles.

Anyway - the 3 structures would be

1. A print ready pdf

2. A vanilla file they can make basic edits to

3. A full file with all the bells and whistles

As for "what to do when they ask for files" - I think you should consider outlining your price structure and your deliverables clearly before accepting to start the project and have them agree on it in writing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote:

If I'm hired to do a job, any asset produced for that job is avaialble to the client on request. I'll even send the files to a competitor if the client decides to dump me, but nobody has asked me to do that yet.

This statement of Peter's is what I have always done. It is amazing how many times in the past where I have turned files over *and* they have used another firm for maybe years, they have come back to me eventually. And sometimes they haven't.

I agree - I think people took me up wrong on this - I did say "if you want to be mean about it"

Not saying it's the right thing to do - but consider the user level of this person too - perhaps something very uncomplex like a file they can just type into and not worry about syles.

You might have a grep style to change the characters before a ":" and the client decides to change this to a "-" and the style disappears!

Make it a basic file for them to edit - remove nested and grep styles and this should make it easier for them update the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I have one pricing structure (in theory, though I do have different levels of hourly rates depending on the client and how much work they send or how much I dislike them ), I charge by the hour. Someone asks for something, they pay for the time it takes to do it. For a new client with potential to become a long-term account I'll sometimes discount that for time spent re-drawing logos that come in as jpeg or building a template, and it ALWAYS gets billed at full price, with the discount spelled out so they can see it. If I'm able to reuse assets to reduce the time for other projects they save some money and I save some time I can use here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I don't think you should dumb down a file that is not intended for a dumb client. That reinforces the notion that htey have the skills required to do your job, which they don't. Sent the real thing and let them drown for awhile before they call you and ask for help they should have asked for to begin with. It builds respect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Why should it matter how many times a project is reprinted? How many times did you create it. If you built houses, you wouldn't get paid again each time the house was sold to a new owner. You were paid to design a museum guide, you did that, the guide is now the property of the museum to use for as long as they like, any way they like.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

If you have defined usage rights that explicitly called for one-time use, there should also be language in the contract for the eventuality of a reprint. I can see this applying to art prints, not a guide. But if your contract provides for such things *and* they agreed to it, then I can see charging for the rights of reprint...I have never seen/heard of a designer including such language in a contract for design and layout work of this type.

In any case, it seems you desire to go this direction of holding onto the files, for perhaps charging for reprints, etc. So just do/try it. I hope it works out for you.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to camilo umaña

Then you need to have a contract that specifies single use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points