Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5/6 Driver Error leads to constant crash in CS6. I've tried everything...

Jun 21, 2013 5:12 AM

Tags: #photoshop #crash #trial #cs6 #extended #stopped_working #photoshop_cs6 #driver_issue

I've tried everything I can think of, anyway. (Wouldn't fit in the title) Pardon my nubbishness in advance. Sorry, I've been searching for the answer for two days (on and off) for a solution, but to no avail.

So I was using CS5.1 for a while with no problems. Everything went well until one day it gave me an error on hardware acceleration. All it did was give me a scrubby zoom. I spent a few days researching it and eventually gave up on finding a solution.

So I thought I'd try out CS6, to see if it fixed anything. It doesn't. It's worse, even. It crashes randomly at various actions (like switching tools, changing layers, saving), and it crashes without fail if I use liquefy or transform a layer and then try to duplicate it (I'm just trying to make a gif, darnit!) If I'm just drawing and erasing and using undo, it doesn't crash as much. Scrubby zoom is still a problem.

My driver is up to date according to the HP website:
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver2010-12-03 , Version:8.15.10.2189, 78.05M
It's really old, but HP isn't updating it. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. Moot point.
The driver is compatible with OpenGL.

I also tried this driver, but apparently it's not compatible.

Additional info/things I've tried:

Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHZ 2.40 GHz
RAM: 4GB
System type: 64-bit

No third-party plug-ins.

60% memory available to Photoshop.

Photoshop is updated to the latest version.
Windows is updated (I spent a freggin day trying to figure that out because updates were frozen, and then spent 3 hours trying to figure out why F8 wouldn't bring up advanced boot options so I can delete old update logs so I can update windows so I can get photoshop working--TO NO AVAIL)

GPU support option is greyed out, so it's already turned off.

When it crashes, all Windows says is "Adobe Photoshop CS6 has stopped working".

Then the details afterwards note "files that help describe the problem", which include...

The C:\Users\Bani\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7781.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml file, which states:

-<WERReportMetadata>
-<OSVersionInformation>
<WindowsNTVersion>6.1
<Build>7601 Service Pack 1
<Product>(0x1): Windows 7 Ultimate
<Edition>Ultimate
<BuildString>7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
<Revision>1130
<Flavor>Multiprocessor  Free
<Architecture>X64
<LCID>1033</LCID>

-<ParentProcessInformation>
<ParentProcessId>2156
<ParentProcessPath>C:\Windows\explorer.exe
<ParentProcessCmdLine>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

-<ProblemSignatures>
<EventType>APPCRASH
<Parameter0>Photoshop.exe
<Parameter1>13.0.1.0
<Parameter2>5022da9d
<Parameter3>aticfx64.dll
<Parameter4>8.17.10.1083
<Parameter5>4e3a239e
<Parameter6>c0000005
<Parameter7>000000000003c33f

-<DynamicSignatures>
<Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
<Parameter2>4105
<Parameter22>b230
<Parameter23>b230f7f1cbaaee930009cef4f424f159
<Parameter24>3613
<Parameter25>36132691666b4a59e8d7bf2a90ee3782

-<SystemInformation>
<MID>4C28CD03-C062-4CB9-8BA7-EE22716C2FCF
<SystemManufacturer>Hewlett-Packard
<SystemProductName>HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC
<BIOSVersion>F.23

The C:\Users\Bani\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9D1B.tp.appcompat.txt is on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/vHP9U6Rk

So I looked up other issues regarding "aticfx64.dll", and nothing helps. The most similar thread I could fine was http://forums.adobe.com/message/5149760, but I don't have anything related to ATI, so it doesn't help. > _< Everything was working fine before, so I don't know why this happened.

Please help. ; ^; I always try to figure it out on my own before I ask for help, but I'm totally stumped. If you need any additional info, please tell me. I'll try to get it (if I know how to access it). I'll keep searching for answers.

My last options are either to downgrade again, or to upgrade my video card, but I have no idea where to start! I don't know what kind of video card I need.

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to Baniita

Hello, could you also paste the contents of Help>system info... ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Baniita

Your ATI/AMD video card driver has a bug.

If installing the latest driver from AMD's website doesn't solve it - then you need to contact AMD and get their help to figure out what is wrong with their driver software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Baniita

You are crashing on the ATI driver, yet you say you had updated the Intel card.  Update the ATI driver from ATI website.  Should be catalyst 13.4

PS does not like 2 dissimilar cards so you should disable the intel card.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to Baniita

You are crashing in an ATI/AMD dll, so I'd guess you do have an ATI/AMD GPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Baniita

In the first screen dump you have the line <Parameter3>aticfx64.dll which is the ATI driver.

You say you are using an Intel onboard GPU chip.

On the last screen dump you have a line No Video Card Detected.  So something is all messed up with your system and you need to get that straightened out first.

Go the the OS command center and run a diagnostic on the video card to see it it is installed or working.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to Baniita

click start open control panel/hardware and sound/devices and printers.  Open Device Manager and you should be able to see the GPU and driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to Baniita

This says the AMD is not connected.  Shut off computer and disconnect plugin then take off side and look inside case.  Ground yourself to frame before touching anything.  Vacuum or blow air to get rid of dust.  Wiggle and push hard on video card to make sure it is seated in connector.  It may have not been installed correctly or heat has worked it loose.

Start up computer and see if you have card recognized.  If not it may be bad.  If recognized put back on sides and see how PS works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to Baniita

No, don't uninstall unless you intend or are comfortable with starting from or near scratch.

In device manager, do you see any "Yellow Bangs", a small yellow triangle with an exclamation point next to any devices? They indicate missing drivers, usually. Click on one if you have it and see what it says.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points