Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AE CC doesn't import Mov Files.  Apple Prores / Animation Codec

Jun 21, 2013 8:02 AM

hallo,

After Effects doesn't import my Prores / Animation Codec Files.

at very first it did not work and the message appeared: "after effects error: file "xxx.mov" cannot be imported - this "moov" file is damaged or unsupported. "

Then i restarted AE and my computer a few times and suddenly it worked. but after closing AE again, AE does the same error.  It does not work even with its own rendered Files from CC!!

I have considered to use only files i know they have worked in the past.

i also asked some freelancers to open it. and yes they confirm it works on CS 5, CS 6.

also

System:

iMac, 27-inch, Late 2012

Prozessor  3,4 GHz Intel Core i7

Speicher  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Grafikkarte  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to FrankyFrame

Do you have AJA QuickTime components installed? Do you have other third-party QuickTime components installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to FrankyFrame

Make sure that you've installed the recent updates to the AJA components, the ones that just came out. The previous versions were causing the problems that you describe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to FrankyFrame

Am also having this issue but don't have any AJA components intalled (I have a black magic card however). Is there anything else known to cause this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 2:34 AM   in reply to g4mm4kid

I've been experiencing this same problem with AE CC and I'm using a Blackmagic card too (updated to latest drivers).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Snakedogman

We have received reports that Blackmagic drivers are also causing QuickTime related problems with After Effects CC on Mac OS. Unlike the AJA update, the latest Blackmagic drivers do not appear to resolve the problem.

Uninstalling the Blackmagic drivers has solved this problem in AE CC for other people. You can do the same if your workflow allows, otherwise keep working in AE CS6. We have contacted Blackmagic about this problem and are working on a resolution.

Snakedogman and g4mm4kid:

- What version of Mac OS are you using?

- What model of Mac are you using? Please check Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info to give the exact model number, such as "Mac Pro 3,1".

- Which Blackmagic hardware is installed?

Specifically, the Blackmagic drivers appear to be causing the CC version of AE's QT32Server process to fail. If you keep Activity Monitor running, you can watch the QT32Server process. It should stay loaded when AE is running, and if it is closing by itself that is when you will receive errors importing or reading frames from QuickTime files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback and good to hear you are in contact with BM about this.

I'm currently using OSX 10.7.5 on a Mid 2010 12-core Mac Pro with a Blackmagic Decklink Studio and HDLink Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 3:59 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Hi Tim, Thanks.

I'm running OSX 10.7.5 on an early 2008 Mac Pro, dual 2.8 quad core with a Decklink HD extreme 2.

I have un-installed all Blackmagic drivers and still have the same issue.

I've also just tried runnig some tests on a targa sequence, which would import ok but I keeps giving a "render module failed" message when I try to export it. Is this part of the same problem? So far have not been able to do a single thing with this software... : /

GK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to g4mm4kid

g4mm4kid - If you're experiencing problems A) without the Blackmagic drivers, and B) on filetypes other than QuickTime, then we're not looking at the same problem. Please start a new thread with specific detail. Easier to troubleshoot that way.

Worth noting a couple of other things:

- We've encountered similar behavior when the SoundFlower audio driver is installed. This is an open-source audio pass-through solution for making screen recordings. If you have this installed, remove it and see if the problem is resolved.

- Not all Blackmagic installations cause this problem, thus our need for more information about your system configuration.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

I can not reliably import/export ProRes or Animation QTs with After Effects CC. I believe accepting the latest update to CC initiated this problem. I did not have this problem last week. I have converted all of my source QTs to .PNG sequences and .AIFs as a work-around.

System Details:

CS 6 CC | Mac OS 10.8.4 | MacPro5,1 | 96 GB Ram | PROJECT & MEDIA drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | CACHE drive: Mercury Accelsior > 500 MB/s read/write | Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac | CUDA Driver: latest update.

Troubleshooting Info:

• I don't have Blackmagic or Aja, but I do have Nvidia Quadro 4000 Mac with the latest Nvidia and Cuda drivers. I'll try uninstalling... but I may want to raytrace in the coming days.

• I've trashed the 12.0 folder and rebooted many times

• repaired permissions

• Multi-threding on/off doesn't matter

update

• "QT32Server process" appears then disappears Activity Monitor when I try to render ProRes (output module fails...)

• No firewall

• Uninstaled Nvidia driver. Restarted. Same problems.

and then

• Created a fresh admin user. This seems to work for now: I can read and write QTs through AE again. I'll update if there are any changes.

update again

Once again, I  can not import ProRes QTs into AE CC. Making a new user only worked for 2 launches. The only software I used with this system/new user was Adobe AE CC, PS CC, and Safari.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Benjamin

Message was edited by: Benjamin Goldman

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Benjamin Goldman

If you are having problems importing or exporting QuickTime files in After Effects CC and are not using Blackmagic or AJA hardware, start with the troubleshooting suggestions here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime- errors-with-after-effects.html

If those suggestions do not solve the problem, please start a new thread on this forum for your issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to Benjamin Goldman

Once again, I  can not import ProRes QTs into AE CC. Making a new user only worked for 2 launches. The only software I used with this system/new user was Adobe AE CC, PS CC, and Safari.

You may not have the ProRes codecs.  They don't automatically come with a Mac.  If you don't run Final Cut Pro, do you have the ProRes reader for quicktime?  Please note:  it's a READER: you wouldn't be able to write to ProRes.

Also:  QT 7 is a LOT better than QTX... which, frankly, is a dog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Hi Dave. Thanks for your response. I own FCP 7. It's installed on my machine, though I haven't used it since I transitioned to PrP. I assume ProRes carries over to my new user. My old user account had no problems with ProRes or Animation Codecs until this week. I've been using CC for about 20 days. The first 15 days were great. After Effects was so responsive, even chugging through H.264 reference movies I threw into my timeline for framing.

I don't understand your destinction READER. I have been able to export ProRes encoded QTs from AE since ProRes was roled out - 5  years? I've also been using AE since CoSa... though obviously I don't know everything about it

How would I go about going back to QT 7? I use QT 7 pro for making H.264, but are you talking about rolling back specific components of my system software? I believe I need to run 10.8.4 to address all the ram I require for my 4K x 2 stereoscopic project.

Hi Tim. I have read and posted to that link. I also thought about starting a new thread, but the title would be: "AE CC doesn't import/export  Mov Files. Apple ProRes / Animation Codec." Wouldn't that be confusing? It seems like the same thread, no?

Best,

Benjamin

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Benjamin Goldman

The ProRes reader is for those individuals who don't have FCP installed.  For example, I have a Windows box at home, so I definitely don't have FCP... but with QT's ProRes reader, I can see the files and render to something else, like the PNG codec.  Works like a charm.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to Benjamin Goldman

Hi Benjamin,

It is best to start a new thread in the forum in order to troubleshoot your issues separately. If your issue was exactly the same as that of the OP's it could be acceptable to stick to one thread, but we are not sure of that yet. There are lots of possible causes for QuickTime failures, and FrankyFrame has not followed up on his thread in several weeks. When in doubt, start a new thread.

Let's dispel a few myths here:

You do not need the Apple ProRes codec components installed in order to read those files. QuickTime, on both Mac and Windows, will read ProRes natively. You only need the ProRes components installed if you want to write ProRes QT files, and at that you only need them installed on 10.7 and earlier because 10.8 allows applications access to write to those codecs. (Assuming the application requests access, which After Effects CC does but earlier versions of AE do not.) Apple does not offer ProRes components for QuickTime on Windows.

QuickTime 7 is not a requirement to use QuickTime files on Mac (IIRC, 10.5 and later). QuickTime X is a part of the operating system and allows applications like After Effects to read and write QT files. You can not uninstall QuickTime X from your computer, nor would you want to. Installing QuickTime 7 will not make QT on your computer inherently better in some way. What it will install is the QuickTime 7 Player application, which has more features than the QuickTime X Player, and even more if you buy the QuickTime Pro license. It's cheap and a useful tool. You can download QuickTime 7 from here:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

I think what Dave is referring to is this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1

Note that this component dates from 2008. Since then I believe Apple has built the codecs into both QuickTime 7 and QuickTime X and this component is no longer necessary. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

Thanks Tim. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks Dave. I thought you were talking about rolling back system software, not using the handy QuickTime 7 Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Benjamin Goldman

FYI, AE CS 6 still works with ProRes. I am using it to take in my PNGs and AIFs and export a ProRes movie.

The problem is how AE CC is dealing with my system.  More later. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to FrankyFrame

Here is a new artice from us about solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0): http://bit.ly/QT_AE_CC_12

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points