Skip navigation
awhurley11
Currently Being Moderated

Export to XDCAM (CS6 Mac) - Freezing

Jun 21, 2013 5:44 AM

Tags: #export #mxf #xdcam #.mxf #cs6_mac

Hello!

Our station has been looking at APP CS6 (for Mac) as a potential new NLE for us (we currently use FCP7), and we use an XDCAM workflow for the entire process.

A co-worker and I have been using a copy of CS6 we bought to try to see if the software is compatible with this workflow. We've looked around several places (including these forums) and we found some great information:

- We found out how to ingest the .MXF files into APP with XDCAM Transfer - Great!

- We watched a video that confirms we can push our edits to a Harris NEXIO server - Also Great!

However, wading through all of the information, we still have one small problem: and that is taking an edit and writing it DIRECTLY back to the XD disc via APP or Media Encoder.

All of our sequence settings and export settings are matched to our workflow, and I'm ensuring that no metadata (.XMP) is being pushed (as the XDCAM does not seem to like the .XMP format). Despite that, each time we try to transfer directly to the "Clip" folder of the disc, APP or AME start the export process, go maybe 1%, and then it locks up and doesnt go anywhere, and I need to Force Quit out of the application. EDIT: We have been testing with a Sony PDW-U2 drive, we do use U1 drives as well

What's odd is I can take the same export of the .MXF, push it to the Desktop, and then drag and drop the .MXF into the Clip folder with Finder and it works no problem. It transfers, and doesn't interfere with any other existing files on the disc such as the raw. If this is the case, shouldn't the import direct to disc be the same?

In theory using the desktop as a middle man may not even be a terrible way to go: but we're looking for the most streamlined solution possible. So hopefully we'll be able to see if this is an option. As a FCP editor, I am quite impressed with a lot of the background performance and speed that things like Media Encoder can provide.

Has anyone ever had this problem before and found a way to fix it? Am I doing something wrong? I can't find any documentation either specifically dealing with CS6 for Mac and writing back to XDCAM directly. Maybe if someone sees something on that too, that would be a big help.

Thanks for your time!

Message was edited by: awhurley11 specify drive

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 9, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to awhurley11

We are experiencing all of the above, but also an additional problem occurs after the .MFX file is copied to the Clip folder, and the resulting file when played back from the XDCAM disc fails to play back properly.  The video playback "stutters".  Not throughout the entire video, but often appears during scenes with movement.  We've tested and are able to recreate this problem from various test projects in Premiere Pro CS 6 on a Mac OS 10.8.4.

We too would like to be able to export directly from Premiere Pro to XDCAM disc and of course have the video playback properly from the disc.

Any solutions?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to awhurley11

Hi awhurley11,

How did you attempt to export the file. Did you use one of the XDCAM presets under Format > MXF OP1a?

Thanks,
    Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Hello Kevin,

I used a preset from the MXF OP1a list.  Specifically, I used the "XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 60i" preset.  I'll also used the "XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 60i" preset to create a custom preset that would "turn off" the metadata or set the "Metadata Export" to "None", because someone suggested that might help, but it does not seem to make any difference with my video playback "stutter" issue.

Any other ideas to help resolve this issue?

Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points