Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why won't video display full screen?

Jun 21, 2013 5:18 AM

I've imported an mp4 file into Premiere elements 7, burnt it to DVD, but when I view it on TV there's large black areas all around the video.  i thought it was the TV setting, played around with those, but couldn't get it to display full screen.

I've looked at the video again in preview, and it's the same when I preview it, so I'm guessing it might be a Premiere Elements setting or a laptop setting?  Note this is the first time I've tried it on a new laptop - the old one was nicked when we were burgled :-(

I've done a clean install of premiere elements and just gone from there, so do I need to do something after install maybe?

Any help much appreciated

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Well, first it depends on the resolution and codec that mp4 is using -- and how closely you matched those specs when you started your Premiere Elements project.

What model of camcorder is that Mp4 coming from? If you dont' know, you'll need to open the file in G Spot Video Tool or Media Info and then post the resolution, frame rate and codec listed here.

You can see the project settings under the Edit menu.

You still won't get great results in version 7, however. That version of the program just isn't designed to work with that format.

Version 11 is not only designed to work perfectly with smartphone, iPad/iPod, Flip and other pocket cam video, on the other hand, it even sets up the project automatically based on your video specs. If you're going to regularly edit mp4 video, you really ought to consider upgrading to it. It will make your life much easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

An mp4 is not the best format for transfering video from MovieMaker to Premiere Elements.

Why not just finish the project in MovieMaker -- or do the whole thing in Premiere Elements?

BTW, are you using the original Moviemaker or MovieMaker Live? The original MovieMaker program was capable of outputting DV-AVI, the ideal video format for moving files from MovieMaker to Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Dabbsyl

You say that you created your .mp4 (photos and videos) in Windows Movie Maker. However, please verify that since Windows Movie Maker does not appear to offer a .mp4 export choice...they all seem to be .wmv or dv.avi. If you miswrote on this point, the discussion of .mp4 and Premiere Elements becomes a non issue.

(The above seems to be true if you are using the Windows Live Movie Maker instead of Windows Movie Maker, but in the case of Windows Live Movie Maker there is no longer an option for dv.avi, just .wmv.)

When creating a Premiere Elements project for export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc,

a. Determine the properties of your source media (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, etc)

b. Set the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) to match the properties of those source media.

c. Check...does my source media fill the space provided in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes.

d. When exporting, if workflow is for 16:9 Widescreen, then be sure to set for a preset for Widescreen burn to or, if workflow is 4:3 standard, then a preset for Standard burn to.

I suspect that your problems are in regard to set up of your project rather than .mp4 versus other wrapper formats.

But let us see by looking at the details revisited.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

For the record, MovieMaker Live offers only WMV and MP4 as output options, ATR. Which kind of stinks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Where are you finding the .mp4 output in Windows Live Movie Maker 2011? I thought that I went through the line up of Save Movie, and the choices all came up .wmv. Where did I miss the .mp4? I will look again.

ATR

Add On...In support of me not finding a .mp4 export from Windows Live Movie Maker, I offer

http://lehsys.blogspot.com/2011/11/windows-live-movie-maker-how-to-exp ort.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

All of the output options under Save As are either WMVs or MP4s.

MovieMakerOutputs.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Orginally I asked

Where are you finding the .mp4 output in Windows Live Movie Maker 2011?

Your screenshot and the header for the program that you have opened in the screenshot is probably the answer to my question.

It shows My Movie "Movie Maker". What I am referring to is Windows Live Movie Maker 2011

with the header My Movie "Windows Live Movie Maker". The interfaces of the two look essentially the same, but they seem to be two different programs, perhaps with the .mp4 choice difference between the two.

But, I am not finding that .mp4 export choice difference between them Googling. So, I will download the "Movie Maker" and check it out unless you have further details on your screenshot.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I'd suggest DabbsyJ downloads Movie Maker 2.6 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34 (ignore the Vista reference, it works fine on W7 / W8) and do as Steve suggests and save it as DV-AVI.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

From what has been described my vote goes for this being a project settings issue and not format issue. But, I will wait for all the details to surface.

Any suggestions for where to get the Movie Maker version for which SG shows  mp4 as well as wmv option?

I thought it would be an easy task downloading the Movie Maker (as compared to Windows Live Movie Maker) to see what the Movie Maker and its mp4 choice were all about. But even with links that say Movie Maker, all my roads seem to be heading for Windows Live Movie Maker 2012. I am currently and happily working with Microsoft Live Movie Maker 2011 and its associates in the Microsoft Live Essentials bundle 2011.

Later tonight when I have time, I will continue the search.

Also, I was not too much in favor of the DVD Menu choice since I did not see an easy route to editing the video in that path as I did with the route that took in the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points