Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

interleafing lots of videos and photos?

Jun 21, 2013 5:29 AM

it's probably my lack of experience, but I want to do a video of the kids as a "wrap up from the kids" for my wife's birthday.

There's lots of photos and videos I want to add in.

In the past whenever I've done a combination of the two, I've created a slide show in Photoshop elements of just the photos and then edited and added the videos afterwards.

however, as I want to do it chronologically, I'll have to create about 50 individual photoshop elements exports and then intersperse all of these in premiere elements, so it could get messy.

I can't directly add the videos to the photoshop timeline as I want to edit them first.  Is there a slick and easy way around this to save me lots of steps?  I'm sure there must be, but I'm not sure how.

I figured the easiest ways could be

1) take the videos, edit them and save the editted ones as a new file somehow so I can add it directly to the timeline

2) add photos directly to a premiere elements video and keep the ability to add captions and keep the same slideshow settings you get with photoshop elements

Hopefully someone's going to tell me how thick I am and point a really obvious and quick solution.......

thanks if you can!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

The easiest way to do it is to just gather all of your photos and videos in Premiere Elements and pull them down to the timeline to create your movie. (Don't forget to resize all of your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size first!)

If that seems like a lot of work, you can try just creating an InstantMovie by gathering all of the photo video files and applying a Movie Theme to it. You don't have much control, but the program does all the work of adding music, effects and titles automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Assuming PRE11 -

Or -

In the Organizer create an Album containing all your stills and videos. Drag them into the correct order (that's why you do this in an Album - it's the only place you can sort your Assets manually), select them all and then do Share> Burn Video DVD / BluRay.

Or -

In the Organizer create your individual slideshows then use Create> DVD with Menu. You can then add  the slide shows and videos in your preferred order and open them in PRE. If you want you can even include the videos in the slideshow.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Dabbsyl

Since you have indicated that you are working on Premiere Elements 7 Windows in a prior post, details to follow will be oriented to Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7. I am assuming that the goal is to have your 50 slideshows represented on a DVD disc in NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 format. If that is the case, as has been suggested resize your photos, but, because of the SD end product, pixel dimensions not to exceed 1000 x 750 4:3.

Photoshop Elements 7 Elements Organizer

Slideshow 1 of 50.

• Import your media (photos and videos), order them, edit the photos.
    • When finished, output the slideshow to Premiere Elements 7, using the Photoshop Elements 7 Organizer Slideshow Editor Output = Send to Premiere Elements.

That Output is the only one that will give you the opportunity to use the Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow in Premiere Elements so that you can edit the video and individual components of the Timeline. To do that...

• When in Premiere Elements Timeline, right click the slideshow (now in whole video format) and click on Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow.
    • Now do your editing of the video or if need be photo fine tuning.
    • If you opted for special pans and zooms in Photoshop Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor and they do not look right in Premiere Elements, then instead do the pans and zooms in Premiere Elements after you have broken the slideshow into its components.

Even if you decide to take the Photoshop Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor out of the equation and do everything in Premiere Elements, I am still suggesting the DV.AVI saves of smaller segments of the large project.

If you are planning for Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc, the segments saves could be 1920 x 1080.m2t exports and then the not to exceed photo pixels dimension would be 2200 x 1238 16:9. The .m2t segments would be then taken into a grand project with a project preset for NTSC 1920 x 1080 to correspond to the properties of the saved .m2t segment properties.

Back to DVD, what I am suggesting now, in contrast to a DVD with menu approach, is, when finished editing Slideshow 1 of 50 in Premiere Elements, export it to a DV.AVI standard file saved to a special folder on the hard drive. (Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard.)

You would repeat this process for each of the remaining 49 slideshows. When all 50 are as DV.AVI files, then import the DV.AVI files into a new grand project NTSC DV Standard project for the burn to disc DVD (NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc).

But, 50 slideshows sounds like an ambious goal for a standard DVD disc spec'd at 4.7 GB (really 4.38 GB)/120 min. If necessary, you could go to a DVD double layer/single sided disc 8.5 GB (really about 7.9 GB)/240 minutes. Just be sure that the intended players support that idea.

There is more than one way to end up with your photos ordered on the Premiere Elements Timeline. Nealeh has addessed one, the Album concept in Elements Organizer. Great suggestion. There is another way. If you have your photos in a folder saved to the computer hard drive and they are numbered sequentially (if 1000 photos, 0000.jpg, 0001.jpeg, or if 100 photos, 000.jpg, 001.jpg, etc), you can import the folder into Premiere Elements, drag the folder onto the Timeline, and then have the photos presenting on the Timeline in the order intended.

Lots of possibilities.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

DabbsyJ,

When Still Images Import with what appears to be the wrong orientation, it is usually caused by the Image having been shot in that orientation. Many organizing and cataloging programs will reorient the Stills, but ONLY for display. Metadata is written, to tell other display programs how to display the Image, but those do not actually change the pixel order in the file.

PrE will only display the actual pixel order, and ignores the metadata for display. The way to handle that is to use an Image editing program, like Photoshop, to physically reorient the Image, and realign the pixels - then Save_As, with the desired orientation. Import that file.

PrE can also reorient your pixels, by adusting the Fixed Effect>Rotation, to correct the orientation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Dabbsyl

As for the upside down photos once in Premiere Elements....if need be, you can highlight the photo on the Timeline and then go to Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use the Rotation feature there to get your photo presenting right side up.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see Hunt's post until after I had posted mine.

When he writes about "Fixed Effects", I believe he is referring to the Properties Palette of Premiere Elements 7 that I just mentioned. To access the Properties Palette in version 7 after you have highlighted your clip,

a. click on the Properties icon above the Timeline

or

b. go to Window Menu/Properties

The Properties Palette contains the panels for Image Control, Motion, and Opacity.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You are correct:

When he writes about "Fixed Effects", I believe he is referring to the Properties Palette of Premiere Elements 7 that I just mentioned.

The Fixed Effects are those automatically added, by PrE, when the Clip is placed onto the Timeline, unliked the Added Effects (Video Effects), that one can apply to the Clip. The Fixed Effects include Rotation, Motion>Position/Scale and Opacity, and then Volume for an Audio Stream.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

HELP!!!!  Question relating to this...I resized my photos to less than 2000x1500...but the photos are still distorted in Premier Elements when trying to combine stills with video in the timeline.  Any other suggestions???

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to DaileyJ

In exactly what way are they "distorted?"

Observed distortion can come from a few different causes, such as a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) issue, but that is only one. Knowing, or seeing exactly what you are observing would be very useful.

Good luck, and maybe post a screen-cap, showing that distortion.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

They are very "pixely".  I have text on the photos and it is not the clearest.  I was unable to get a screen capture.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Perhaps this article on screen-caps will be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4047580#4047580

Also, are you the OP (Original Poster), who started this thread, but using a different Adobe Forum Account?

If not, I would also post the full details of you computer, your PrE Project, and your Assets. See this article for what info would be so useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3220274#3220274

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Daileyl

Let us recap

Can I assume that you are working through the procedure that I described earlier in this thread?

If so

a. Did you resize your photos not to exceed 1000 x 750 pixels? If not, what are the exact pixel dimensions of the resized photos that you are now using? You want those photos to have a 4:3 frame ratio since we are heading for DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. What did you use to resize your photos? Please remind me what the pixel dimensions were for the originals before you resized.

b. When you are in Premiere Elements 7, what are you setting for the project.preset. For what I described, it should be NTSC DV Standard.

c. What is pixelated the text and/or the photo itself?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to DabbsyJ

Dabbsyl

Let us rule in or out the video properties although you state that some of the same batch import some do not into Premiere Elements directly or indirectly via Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor.

Did you say already what kind of .avi files these are?

You can get a properties readout from a free program such as MediaInfo

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

But first let us see how you do on the sizing issue, when you are using the ideal photos and videos that will import.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I just purchased Premier 11.  I am new using video.  I did manage to edit the video and place the stills where needed prior to each video...no problem there.  Good news when I saved the project and viewed it back on my pc(not just previewing in the timeline) the stills were no longer pixelated.  The bad news is I just lost sound  1/4 way thru the first of 4 interviews.  The voices/sound plays in the timeline, but cuts out when saved to an MPEG and it won't let me upload to YouTube--which is my end goal.  It's 5:00 somewhere...I am taking a break.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Daileyl

After you take a break, please let us know the exact export MPEG settings that you used. And, we sort his out. What player are you using?

What type of an error message are you getting from YouTube to provent the upload from within Premiere Elements?

Inspect the tracks (audio and video) to see if you can spot any irregularies. Check your volume settings.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

As for You Tube-- I attempted to save :Online/You Tube/ Presets-Flash Video for You Tube.  Error Message repeatedly today has been: "An error has occur during  the uploading process.  Please try again later."

While saving to Computer/ MPEG/ Presets: NTSC DVD Standard.  I am able to play it back on my computer--and as I said, my stills came out clear...but the audio starts playing and cuts out during the first interview.  I pieced together 4 interviews of a college graduation. I checked the sound levels in the timeline and the levels are all high, nothing is muted in any of the clips.  The audio plays all the way thru when I playback in the timeline--just not after it's saved.

I played it back in Windows Media Player.

Thanks-

Jen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Jen,

Did you use Audio Mixer to do any Audio editing?

To check, I would open Audio Mixer, then play the Timeline. Do you see any of the sliders moving on their own?

What are the formats of the interview Audio? If MP3, then you might want to think about replacing the problem files with PCM/WAV Audio files. One can use any number of programs, such as the great, free Audacity, to convert MP3 Audio to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Jen

Please try the export to DV AVI to determine if that format will result with video and audio intact for your file. Share/Computer/DV AVI with the preset = DV NTSC Standard.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

OK ATR & Bill-

I am overwhelmed with this project...but...there might be light at the end of the tunnel.  I went into You Tube to upload the mpeg video vs uploading directly from Premier 11 after authorizing...and I think it worked!!!!  I played back the link on my PC....and I have audio.  It's not the clearest of video...was shooting with a Canon Vixia HFR30...I still have more editing to do and a lot more of the graduation ceremony to add...but are you able to view and hear audio?

I can't thank you enough for your help today!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 8:44 PM   in reply to DaileyJ

Jen

Just watched your video. Congratulations, good job and everything including the formatting of your interview presentations.

So, what is your present status regarding audio with in your Premiere Elements 7 project(s)?

Did you make some adjustments to correct your original audio drop off issues? If so, what helped?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance with your project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points