Skip navigation
Cindyg22
Currently Being Moderated

Setting default fonts

Jun 21, 2013 8:43 AM

I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a Windows computer.

Could somebody explain to me how to change default fonts?  I would like my default font to be Hobo Medium Gold 58 size 35.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

Let us give this a try.

In the Premiere Elements 11 Windows Titler, go to Styles and locate the Hobo Medium Gold 58.

Right click the Hobo Medium Gold 58 and select Set Style As Default.

Go from the Style Section to the Text Section of the Titler and change the font size from 58 to 35.

Go back to the Style Section in the Titler and the Hobo Medium Gold 58 thumbnail. Right click it and select Save Style.

At this point, hopefully, you will have two thumbnails for Hobo Medium Gold, one for font size 58 and one for font size 35.

At this point, I would probably right click the Hobo Medium Gold 35 and select Set Style As Default.

ATR

Add On...Have you read the following Adobe Tech Note on Premiere Elements Text Styles?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSF167185D-7CCC-43c 5-9D86-5850710EAF78.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyyg22

I have been looking at the permanent nature of that "Set Style As Default" and, so far, cannot get it to stay put from project to project, only within the project. Preferences does have a Titler section, but I see no option there that is going help in this regard. All the action seems to be in the pop up that we get when we right click one of those styles.

I did not find anything in the Adobe Note that suggested that the Set Style As Default should not be as implied in its name.

Will keep searching to see if there is more. Right now I think not but will keep looking.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Some settings, like those in Edit>Preferences, are global, and will stick Project to Project. Others, are specific to a particular Project.

One way to get the Default Styles to stick would be to create a "template" Project, for the most common type, set the Default Styles there. Then, use that template Project to start all of that type. Immediately do a Save_As, so as to not Save over the Template (I would also make a copy of that, set to Read Only, in case it had to be restored.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

Major perk in all this is that Save Style so that you have a working thumbnail for the 35 font size.. That works as expected.

I took a quick look at Premiere Elements 10 in this regard. Looks like it is behaving the same for me as version 11.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

My Styles Save Style and Set Style As Default have also deteriorated since this afternoon.

I need to revisit all of this with refreshed perspective.

Coming soon I hope.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindy,

You are not the only one.  This program seems very unstable--things that worked yesterday don't work today. 

Without going into a list, the current problem I'm having is the very same.  A few days ago I used the excellent advice provided by you at the top of this thread and created a new default font based on an existing font (or "style" as Adobe seems to like to call it).  This worked until today. 

Today, no matter what I do, the program ignores my default requests (find my font in the "styles", select it as default, go back to main titler window) and persists in using something else.  I'm doing an instructional video with text commentary, and for each new text (or "title" as Adobe likes to call it) I have to laboriously scroll down through the font list, find the font (starts with a T) reset everything--including the font color so that it will show up on a light variegated background.  Pulling teeth would be easy by comparison.

Any solutions might keep me out of a straighjacket.

Also, as an aside, I can't figure out any way to access the "titler" except to choose Text > New Text > Default Text.  Which creates another Title on the Timeline, whether that is my intention or not.  Is there any other simple way to get into the titler to try to deal with fonts, etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to Kawika808

For accessing the Titler, without creating a New Title, just go to your Project's Asset Panel, choose the existing Title, that you wish to edit, and then Dbl-click on that. It should Open in the Title Editing Panel (Titler), ready to be edited.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Kawika808

Kawika808

You never said what version of Premiere Elements that you are using and on what computer operating system it is running. So generalizing as specifically as possible....

You are joining this June 2013 in December 2013. Since my last post in this thread, the Titler Styles and I have come to an understanding. Some of it can be found in my blog post on Premiere Elements Titler Styles.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-titler-part-2-styles.html

A wrinkle in the Premiere Elements 12 Titler Styles remains problems in trying to edit a title Style in the Expert workspace, whereas there is no problem doing that in the Quick workspace.

You wrote

I can't figure out any way to access the "titler" except to choose Text > New Text > Default Text.  Which creates another Title on the Timeline, whether that is my intention or not.  Is there any other simple way to get into the titler to try to deal with fonts, etc.?

You can open the Titler by double click an existing titler that is one the Expert workspace Timeline. Is that what you sought?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Bill Hunt and ATR,

Thanks to both of you for helping me out.  I have put the straight-jacket order on hold.

ATR, you said "A wrinkle in the Premiere Elements 12 Titler Styles remains problems in trying to edit a title Style in the Expert workspace, whereas there is no problem doing that in the Quick workspace."

I've never used the Quick workspace; if I use that as a workaround to edit the title Style in my project, will the changes also automatically apply to whatever I subsequently do with the project in the Expert space?

I have been reading through the blog material mentioned above...lots of good information, but I'm a slow learner so I will have to re-read and do a step-by-step to get a grip on it.  I have had so many odd surprises with the program (really, is it so unusual to want to apply animation to more than one line of text?) that I hate to create any new problems for myself.  (The History sometimes shows steps that I certainly had no intention of creating, and I have no idea what button I may have pushed to create them.  All the stranger because I saw no evidence of any change in the timeline, preview window, etc.  If Photoshop was Kansas, this is Oz.)

As long as I'm here, may I ask one more question:  is it possible to apply animation to both ends of a text "title"?  For example, say, fade in and drop out?  It appears that you can't (if I add one, the other one stops working) but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks again.

Forgot to mention: Win7, 64bit, PrE12 (from CD, not download version)

Message was edited by: Kawika808

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Just noticed a key omission in a previous earlier post; it should have read:

"ATR,  a few days ago I used the excellent advice provided by you at the top of this thread..."

Sorry 'bout that.

Thanks for the good information.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Kawika808

Kawika808

Regarding

I've never used the Quick workspace; if I use that as a workaround to edit the title Style in my project, will the changes also automatically apply to whatever I subsequently do with the project in the Expert space?

I am usually writing to stay with the Expert workspace in contrast to the Quick workspace since you can see what you are doing and thus have more control...no toggling in between. But, in the case of the Expert workspace Titler Styles situation, you may have to get an assist from Quick for that. It all works out. Quick Titler Styles will be represented in Expert.

Regarding

is it possible to apply animation to both ends of a text "title"?  For example, say, fade in and drop out?  It appears that you can't (if I add one, the other one stops working) but maybe I'm missing something.

We can talk specifics next, but generalizing based on what you wrote

a. For the Fade In...you could right click the title on the Expert workspace Timeline, select Fade, and then select Fade in Video.

b. For the Drop Out part, you could double click the title on the Timeline to open the Titler/Animations/one of the animations and drag the animations thumbnail from its place in Titler animations into the title displayed on the screen.

c. Then Render the Timeline to see what you have.

Much of that is adjustable.

We could get into other scenarios where you keyframe Opacity and Position to achieve the wanted effect.

Lots of possibilities.

Looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the time.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thanks...sorry it took a while to get back on this topic.

The solution you suggested (fade in via R click + animation via double click) occurred to me but I had too much on my plate to be able to test it.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points