Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Layer Panel View in PSD & AI file import in Flash CC?

Jul 4, 2013 2:00 PM

Tags: #view #import #layer #psd #panel #importing #ai #flash_cc #import_psd #layer_panel_view

Hi guys,

You guys at Adobe, you have always done a exelent job. I love all your software. Your reputation is brilliant.

However I would like to encourage you to add Layer Panel View into Flash CC as it was in CS6.

I just got installed Dlash CC and I have found out that I can't use it for what I do.

The new features and black interface are all great, I love them. The only thing that bothers me are the features which were dropped from previous versions. It's really something that forces me to use Flash CS6.

I'm a flash game developer and I do stuff all around graphic assets preparation in Photoshp & animations in Flash.

This is my CS6 workflow:

In Photoshop

1. I prepare all graphics in Photoshop. I also set the folder structure already in Photoshop so when I import in flash, everything is as I need it and I don't have bother with nesting movie clips or distributing symbols to layers. 

Then In Flash

1. I press import to library in Flash, locate the PSD and then I'm setting stuff in the Layer Panel View in Import Window
  2. I select the layers I want to import (this way I don't have to modify the PSD in Photoshop everytime I import, also, sometimes I forgot to turn off visibility for some layer and I do it while importing)
  3. i set the quality individually for selected assets  (timesaver but I ll have to check it again anyway in the asset's properties)
  4. i set the Registration (center) of the symbol individually as I need it for each symbol (huuuuuuge timesaver, not having ability to do this is a CC killer to me)
  5. i set instance names for selected clips (timesaver)
  6. i select which folders I want to import as symbol (huge timesaver)
  7. ... now I press import.
  8. then I'll animate everything (using Motion Editor which is BTW also missing but that's another topic)

And this all is a HUGE timesaver. Otherwise, I would have to do it one by one after import.

Nearly none of that I am able to do in Flash CC.

Setting up the Registration individually is especially important. That I see as the biggest problem. Objects that are being imported differ. And having to set the registration afterwards will mess up position of every symbol completely.

So dream would be having the features which were available in CS6:

• selecting which layers I want to import
  • adding Instance Names for selected layers
  • option of setting the quality individually
  • option for making a symbol or import only bitmap
  • option for making a symbol out of folder
  • option fors setting the center (Registration) of the symbol

And also, to make it even more awesome, lets think about about even adding more features :

• option to import as a symbol with choosing the type - Button / Movie clip / Graphic

Well, I just hope that all the features were dropped because you were building Flash CC form the scratch and just didn't have enough time to finish all features.

So, is there any chance that you will develop it into Flash CC?

Thank you for reading my message.

Regards,

Edit #1: Here I'm adding screenshots with my thoughts.

1.png3.png4.png

2.png

Adam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to AdamSabla

I'm in the same boat...just built a big complex PSD in photoshop CC and tried to import it in Flash CS5.5 ...it fails and imports a single black image. I realized It was probably a CC vs CS5 issue and cracked open the FLA in Flash CC and tried to import again and got the dialogue shown in your screenshot. Not nearly enough control over the import...so here's hoping I can convert the PSD back to a 5.5 document and import properly. Sadly this means I won't be using my CC software till they improve this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to AdamSabla

While you're at it, it would be nice to be able to set "Allow smoothing" on raster assets if the dialogue gets added back in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to AdamSabla

It probably doesn't matter to Adobe. As long as some other product in the suite persuades you to keep with CC, they're content to allow people to keep using CS 5.5 or 6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2013 9:02 PM   in reply to AdamSabla

Hi Adam,

The PSD and AI Importer dialogs till Flash CS6 were overly complex and yet missing some specialized options. This re-designing of the importer dialogs in Flash CC was done to streamline the options so that we could quickly understand the options , make a simple set of choices and get the results fast. Too many options makes it difficult to work. In any case if deep customization is required we have an "Edit with.." option provided for the assets imported which could then be edited in Photoshop or Illustrator and saved, to bring back the changes to Flash CC.

The major change in the PSD and AI Importer Dialog is that there is no layer preview pane in the dialog but we offer higher level control to the layers.Creating a movie clip for a layer and setting a publish settings for bitmap can be done from the library after the import process is completed. We already have tools for the movie clip creation and registration , hence these are removed from the dialog to make it less cumbersome.However, removing layers/hiding them is something the user needs to take care while creating the PSD in Photoshop but the round-tripping workflow is there to help solve this problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

It's a real shame you won't listen to your users on this--this feature is a valuable part of a lot of developers' workflow, and removing it really damages the viability of the product. I haven't been able to find any documentation about how you'd create an extension that is capable of seeing and manipulating the layers of a psd so that I could reasonably replace this missing feature.

It's clear that you're sticking to your guns that "useful" is too complex for your poor, dumb users. Is there any chance that you could point us dummies to a resource that would explain how we can get visibility into the PSD's in order to replace this feature that is so complex ourselves? It will be a challenge considering our limited intellectual resources, but potentially we could rise to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to AdamSabla

I totally agree. The import as PNG option was the most used (Bitmap image with editable layer styles).
    Now you just can use the importer with squared opaque pictures.

So, almost useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

You have done this beautifully with other your software. Just add Advanced button to enable those beautiful import options that has been in Flash Professional sinse CS3. I have used Flash sinse 1998 and love all things that Adobe have brought to Flash after Macromedia.

This is the first thing that I was dissapointed to Flash update ever. There were one back in the days with Macromedia's MX2004 version also but this is first setback in Adobes history with Flash Pro.

Most of the Flash Pro users are indeed Professionals and would like to use all the cool features that your developer team can offer.

Please bring back the previous import options. Make it an extension if you don't want it to be default.

I'm a trainer, and every time I have to say to my students that something was better in earlier version my heart bleeds. Usually I just say that we need to look forward and use the new tools that we are offered to. This is the first time whwn I have said that. Ofcourse in hope that it will be feature to be added back in the future.

The complexity of the previous import features are not true. I have shown both CS6 and CC features on course to my students. Most of them uses Flash the first time in their life and they all ask: Why Adobe have removed thease wounderful features? And so am I asking also.

(This belongs to different subject than Import: I love the new Flash. It finally makes me to learn AS3. No need to add that anymore. Just would love to have also CreateJS Code Snippets. I'm an old AS2 and Script assistant fan and now using code snippets to script my work. I have made some of my own snippets but CreateJS is too much for me now.)

- Teemu (writing with iPad so miss spelling is mostly from that) :D

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 12:10 PM   in reply to AdamSabla

Another in full agreement. I use Flash Pro to build interactive maps, and import .psd's with dozens of Raster Layers: the new dialogue and workflow forces me to go through each Layer after an import and do what are very tedious administrative tasks. Can't imagine having to use CS6 to Import for CC...

While I agree that CS6 was overly complex I think that bleeding off coding sophistication to Flash Builder was a great idea, but for work with various Imports we really need that now regrettably "legacy" Dialogue...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 10:18 AM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

I just got around to installing the new Flash CC at work, and I'm extremely disappointed this was removed! As others have said, add an "advanced" button for those of us who use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 11:42 AM   in reply to Klekampcd

Hi Sudeshna sarkar and Adobe Flash Professional Team

Are you guys serious. First you drop Action Script 2.0 and now you take away a very important feature like this because it's too complex for other users. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Just put the more advanced features under an advanced setting. This way you can have the simplified version for those that found it complex to use and the advanced features for those that desperately need it. Everybody wins. 

Do you guys actually use this software. Yes there is an Edit with option for images that are in the library but there isn't any edit with option for ai files at least none that I am aware of. If their is please point me in the right direction in how to find it? Also how is not making multiple versions of files just to have one layer on or off not making it more complex.

So from what I am hearing this is your approach for example you have a illustrator file with lets say 8 layers in it. If we save the illustrator with all 8 layers. Flash CC will import all 8 layers giving us no option to select the layers we want like we had in CS6. So if I just want 2 layers on I have to go and save another file with just 2 layers on so it will only import those 2 layers. So tell me how am I going to name these files. Filename_2_layers_on.ai then Filename_5_layers_on.ai. How ridiculous is that.

There is lots of times people import an illustrator file into flash only to realilze later on that they want to import another layer maybe from another illustrator file or another project all together or maybe you decide to add another layer to your project. The way you guys have it everytime someone has to do one of these things and believe me these are just some examples of diffrent scenarios users face, they have to save off a different file version everytime or if they don't save off diffrent versions then if I want to get one layer our of a 100 layer file. Flash CC will import all 100 layers to the stage so I can get that one layer I wanted. Now I have to go and delete all 99 extra layers. I don't know about you but this way of thinking is way more complex and definitely not user friendly.

I guess we all will be sticking with CS6 or older version until adobe realizes what they have done. Seriously what were you guys thinking

Adam great post you are so right on everything you said. This seriously needs to be fixed asap 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2014 6:29 PM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

They were NOT overly complex! They completely made sense.  It's just NOT that HARD to import a stupid Photoshop file! After all there's ALWAYS UNDO!

Most of the people that use Flash know how to write CODE... if you can write code you sure as heck can navigate through a simple import dialog!

You ALSO got rid of FXG export. WHY?!? Was THAT too hard for us idiots to fathom too? And SWF import. And Ai export.  So hard my brain is hurting!

How about the Bone tool? Duuuhhh, we cants handle the bone tool! Oh wait what about the Deco tool. I don't know HOW to use that. Duhhh.

I can't even believe that's a real reason. I tihnk more likely you broke sometihng with CS 6 and couldn't fix it for your precious Cloud crap.

With each instance of your upgrades you break Flash more and more.

What's next? Get rid of Classic Tween? How about the Brush tool? Who DRAWS iN Flash? Or why not get rid of the rotate function? Rotaing is complicated! After all who uses that?!?

Oh waaiit!

I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO! I DO!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 5:04 AM   in reply to Asymetrical

Hi all,

While we understand your requirement for these features,  this forum isn't the place where feature requests are tracked. Please use https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform to make your requests heard.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 6:35 AM   in reply to Preran

I have taken Preran's instructions and filed a feature request. I trust my other Flash practitioner friends will as well: in fact, I'm putting out a few notices on some facebook and LinkedIn communities for other Flash/AS folks to do the same...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 7:37 AM   in reply to Idaho Airships

Can you post a link to it so we can vote for it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2014 8:00 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

I agree Amy this should be a poll where we can vote. Preran this really isn't a new feature It's a feature that has been in flash since CS3 why they got rid of it doesen't make any sense to us. So why should we go through posting on a new link for a feature request that probably won't ever get looked at. It's not like we are not being heard here. We already got a response from Sudeshna Sarkar from the Adobe Flash Professional Team. So that tells me the flash development team is aware of this issue. Like Amy has said we need a place to vote so Adobe can see how many users need this existing feature back in flash CC. Just add an advanced setting with the so called complex import feature and keep a basic version for those that found it so complex and confusing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 6:59 AM   in reply to Jaysb77

Hi Jaysb77,

We are hoping to move to a new version of Jive for the forum where we will have an effective way to add a Poll widget. Meanwhile, I request you to please make your request heard through the wishlist.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2014 7:35 AM   in reply to Preran

Why not make it possible for people to file feature requestes against Flash Pro in JIRA, and then we can vote for it like we can Flash Player and Flex features?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points