Skip navigation
artz77777
Currently Being Moderated

No burners detected in Elements 11, but blu-ray OK

Jun 21, 2013 11:25 AM

In several past versions of Premiere Elements I could always burn to regular DVD (and blu-ray). Now with Elements 11, I can burn to blu-ray, but when I try to burn a regular DVD, I get the 'no burners detected' message, even though I have two burners available. I researched extensively and could not get this resolved, so today I had someone from the GeekSquad go through my entire system. He was great, trying a variety of options. In the end, his conclusion was that this is an Adobe issue and best hope is to wait for an update. He researched that and could not find an expected ETA. So, my question is does anyone know when this might be fixed? I have a special project featuring my 92 year old mother that I'd like to get out. I did burn to a computer folder, but the quality is just not up to standards. The blu-ray is very good, but I'd like regular DVDs too. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to artz77777

The most common cause for PrE (and also Adobe Encore) to not detect a burner is that some software is hooking that burner at boot-up, and reporting it incorrectly to the OS. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2776760#2776760

As a test, I would instead choose Burn to Folder, and then use a burning utility, such as ImgBurn to do the physical burn to disc, with the resulting VIDEO_TS folder.

Programs, like ImgBurn, will interface with the mutli-drive/burner at a hardware level, where PrE interfaces with it through the OS. If the OS thinks that the burner is really something else, like a removable HDD, then PrE cannot find it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to artz77777

artz77777

Do you feel that your disappointment in DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc quality (from burn to folder route) goes beyond the fundamental difference in frame size between the DVD-VIDEO standard 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL) and Blu-ray 1920 x 1080?

Do you get better results, if you take Premiere Elements out of the equation and use Windows Live Movie Maker and the Windows DVD Maker to produce your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? The Windows Live Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker both should come with Windows 7. It might be worthwhile to take a look at that on a mini scale to see what you get using the same source media (as possible) that you used in Premiere Elements.

You could also try the variation of exporting your Premiere Elements Timeline to DV AVI standard or widescreen whichever is in accord with what you are doing, And then using the Windows DVD Maker for the generation of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. But, the question comes up "Are you having burn to disc problems with programs other than just Premiere Elements?"

Do you have access to a USB 2.0 external burner so that you can see if that is recognized by Premiere Elements?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to artz77777

I also have 2 burners, a DVD and a Blu Ray and was having a problem with not having the burner recognized. After lots of internet searches, found some comments that programs that let you drag items from the desktop to burn sometimes mask the burner. I had one of those and so disabled that feature and also disabled the windows burner. Turns out my problem was much simpler and self inflicted. Since I turned off the virus scan for the burning, I used Norton block all traffic. When that is on, Premiere Elements cannot find the burner. As soon as I opened network traffic, the burner appears every time. An aside, if I turn that Norton block back on after the burn is started, the dvd burn goes to 99% and hangs up 100% of the time. I called Adobe today and they insist that you do not need internet connection to burn a dvd, but somehow with my configuration, I have to leave the networks open.

Not sure if you have a firewall block on, but that would cause the problem or perhaps something like the drag to burn feature in the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to atlcroc2

atlcroc2

Interesting observations. Thanks.

But I would have thought that the Geek Squad would have picked up on that type of thing when they were helping artz77777.

But this would be an interesting avenue for artz7777777 to rule in or out.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to artz77777

I appreciate that info.

While packet-writing software is the most common cause for programs, like PrE, to not find the multi-drive/burner, a big cause of problems is out of date firmware in the multi-drive/burner. Unless the Geek Squad tech. checked into this, I would go to the mfgr's. Web site, to see if you model has any firmware updates available. If so, I would first read the instructions carefully, then update the firmware.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to artz77777

When I could not burn a DVD the other day, I thought my problem was with updated drivers since I recently had the hard drive replaced. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with support people and we updated all the drivers and did a lot of checking.

There was also a possible issue with compatibility and so I made sure my programs had my correct windows compatibility loaded.I uninstalled and reinstalled premiere elements and roxio. In total spent a day trying all kinds of fixes. Since I thought maybe corrupt windows files was a problem,  I started the computer in safe mode and then ran only premiere elements. That finally worked.

Coincidentally I did not have the firewall blocking traffic and I think that was my real issue. Later I ran the programs to check for corrupt windows files and there were none.

So this leads to one more suggestion: start the computer in safe mode so only windows is running and then open premiere elements to see if the drive is visible. That would ensure there is not an issue with any software blocking the ability to recognize the drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to artz77777

Glad that the reinstall solved the burner issue.

As for the quality of the DVD, a DVD-Video can only be MPEG-2 DVD by the specs.

If you are comparing a DVD-Video to HD footage, then you have to factor in that you have only about 1/6 of the number of pixels.

When starting with HD material, a BD, or AVCHD disc, will be a better option.

Also, if the DVD-Video is played with an up-rezzing DVD, or BD player, the quality will be better, than when played from a regular DVD player.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points