Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Time Reversed Layers Have Blank Frames in CC

Jun 21, 2013 2:22 PM

Hey guys.  So in my project file I have a lot of looping footage, which I achieved by using time reversed layers.  I started the project file in a trial version of CS5.5 last week, but upgraded to Creative Cloud yesterday.  Since moving to CC I noticed that all my time reversed layers have missing frames at the beginning of the layer, causing a blinking effect on my footage.  In the final comps those layers will flicker out, showing the images and backgrounds beneath them both within AE and in the final comps when I render them to an .mov.  I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this bug and knows of a way to fix it.  I've nudged my layers around a bit, but regardless of when the layer starts or from which point it begins sampling my footage, the first frame of the time reversed layers are blank.

Here's some information that might be helpful:

The compositions are 1280x720, square pixel aspect ratio. Starting timecode of 0:00:00:00 on all comps. The footage type is h.264 with a framerate of 23.976, the same framerate as the comps. My footage interpretation is premultiplied for Alpha, set to use the framerate from file, starting timecode of 0:00:00:00, and with seperate fields off and remove pulldown off.

The specific version of After Effects CC is 12.0.0.404. My computer information is Mac OSX version 10.8.3. 3.,4 GHz Intel Core i7. 16 GB RAM, 1600 MHz DDR3.

Thanks in adcvance guys.  I could really use some insight in answering my question.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to Zogeta

A screenshot of your timeline would be helpful. I have not checked this myself but you may have some shifted in points.

Also, just an FYI, h.264 footage, unless it's original footage from a camera, is entirely unsuitable in a production pipeline. If the footage is original footage from a camera then in most cases you can use it without modification.

What happens if you create a new composition from your existing footage and then time reverse the footage?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Zogeta

Dèja-Vu? I read and replied to such a question recently.... Anyway, since you use the embedded timecode, have you triued turning it off and enforcing your own? Since AE works on proper time calculations, even minute discrepancies might throw off things... Also check the comp's shutter phase settings...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Zogeta

Yes, this is a bug.

>  Creating a new composition and time reversing it gives me the same problem.

What about if you turn on the Preserve Frame Rate When Nested Or In Render Queue preference? Does the problem go away for nested compositions then?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Try enabling time remapping and then reverse the keyframes with the keyframe assistant.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points