Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AMD Radeon HD 6990 vs Mercury Playback Engine

Jun 21, 2013 3:44 PM

I just installed an AMD Radeon HD 6990.

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

My Mercury Playback Engine "GPU" choice does not show up in Premiere.

I tried the hack.

Nothing.

I see my card is not listed in the http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html list, however older and less powerful models from within its same family are.

First of all, do I need to upgrade to CS6 to even enable Open CL type cards? And if so is there a chance the hack will then work?

And if upgrading is the only Open CL answer - is there a way to upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 without getting involved in the creative cloud kookiness?

Thanks for any and all insight - I simply want to edit footage within Premiere while utilizing my more than adequate GPU.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

OpenCL became available as a very limited option with CS6, and only on some Mac systems.  It became more widely available for Windows with CC7.

On 5.5, you're stuck with nVidia for GPU acceleration.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Only the 6750M and 6770M are supported in CS6, both only for Lion 10.7.x.  I'm not a Mac user, so I didn't pay attention to the hack situation there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Your card meets the prerequisites to at least be enabled manually as it has 4 GB of memory.

If you want to make sure, simply download the free trial version of Premiere Pro CC

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to Cadillacula

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

We will review that list with our partners to make sure that the list is more accurate in the future.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Adobe Applications Manager. I encourage you to file a report against that product so that future experiences can be improved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Yes. You should be seeing a performance delta between GPU vs Software.  Mercury GPU renders with maximum render quality enabled so you will have to manually enable it in software mode for comparison.

What type of media are you trying to export and to what format?  Also, what version of the AMD driver are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Exporting media with GPU enabled (when not crashing) should provide better performance when exporting when compared to the same export in software mode @ max render quality.

The performance deltas will largely depend on what type and number of filters applied.

I too appreciate the engagement on this matter. This helps us as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Please file a bug.

Make sure it includes the effects you use as well complete info on your config including drivers.

Thanks

Reg

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:13 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

We received it. And we appreciate it.

We will be looking into it. Thanks for your efforts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points