Skip navigation
DM50000
Currently Being Moderated

Effecting a selection with the eraser or brush

Jun 22, 2013 2:24 AM

Hi, this quite possibly should be in the begginers section... but what I'm trying to do is make a selection and, with either the paintbrush or eraser, put a single coat of the selected brush texture on that entire selection.

I've downloaded some really great brush sets and I want to apply one of them to the whole canvas as if I've painstakingly gone over the whole canvas and applied one coat of the paint brush or eraser.

I'm sure this can be done but I can't figure out how, and all the google explanations refer to the smart brush which I can't seem to find. Perhaps its no longer in CS6?

I'm using a Mac Pro with OSX 10.6.8 & PS CS6.

Thanks!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to DM50000

Would you mind posting a mock-up (the selection and the result ou want)?

Brushes cannot be applied to Selections per se.

The Selection can be used to limit the effect of the Brush or as a Layer Mask, one can create a Work Path from the Selection and »Stroke path with brush« (but that would only be an outline), …

The closest to what I suspect you want might (other than manually painting the whole thing) be creating a zigzagging or squiggly Path covering the image and then applying »Stroke path with brush« to that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,941 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 22, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to DM50000

You could do it with the Paint Bucket set to pattern

• Select an area with the rectangular Marquee tool on a layer that contains the pixels you want to use.  It can be any shape so long as it has square corners
    • Edit > Define pattern - and give it a name
    • Select the Paint bucket, and from the Options bar use the drop-down to change Foreground to Pattern, and the next drop-down along to select the pattern you just made.
    • Open a new layer and click to fill with your pattern.

But if you are trying to fill with stars, you'll be hard pressed to achieve a seamless pattern, but there are tutorials out there.  Like This

If you only part of the image covered then you'll need to select it, but I would tend to make the selection and add a layer mask so you can fine tune the boundries.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,941 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 22, 2013 4:51 AM   in reply to DM50000

You don't paint, you dab.  Use one of the tutorials I linked to to do a general background dusting of stars, and then load the star cluster brush set, select one, size it, and dab it once on a new layer.  Select another star cluster brush, and place that on a new layer.  Move and size the layers for best effect.  Go search for some planet brushes, and place one or two in the scene. 

How about finding some smoke brushes; stamp a nice on your canvas, and clip a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to it. Click on colorize, and adjust.  Instant nebula

Build the scene layer by layer, ajusting opacity and size with Free Transform.  If a layer doesn't work, turn it off.  You can use the same star brush more than once by flipping and/or rotating it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points