Skip navigation
Hot Rod Raven
Currently Being Moderated

How do you create a form to capture customer information

Jun 22, 2013 9:11 AM

Hello,

I have been looking for a form to capture customer information.  Name, address, phone, email, & maybe even which service they're interested in. They fill out the form and then there's a submit button at the end which they click to send the information.  Is there a form like this in the widgets? Or can someone help me with what is a simple way to capture customer information.  Thanks for all of your help.

Matt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to Hot Rod Raven

What are you doing with the data?  Most likely you will need some sort of server-side scripting.  That will mean ASP or PHP.  Do you know what your host uses?  If not, start by asking them.  There are amny pre-made form generators as part of Content Management Systems like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla so if your site is built on one of those that may work.  There are also services like Wufoo that generate forms for you.  If you are doing this for emailing purposes there are services like Mailchimp or Constant Contact that do this for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Hot Rod Raven

HTML cannot do anything with data.  You need scripts to collect and process form field data.  It would be helpful to know what you intend to do with your captured customer data.

• Send data to your e-mail address.
    • Store it in a database.
    • Append data to another file on your server. 
    • Forward data to a 3rd party. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Hot Rod Raven

And which server-side languages (php, asp, asp.net, coldfusion, perl) are you allowed to use with your hosting plan?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Hot Rod Raven

If you are looking to store customer data and you don't have a lot of experience working with scripting, my next question is do you have a CRM?  If so, most have form connectors that you can use.  If you don't have a CRM I would recommend that over a basic form builder or self-maintained form script.  There are plenty of options out there from Salesforce, SugarCRM, Dynamics, Zoho, etc.  They have form builders within the CRM that allow you to generate forms using an interface and then they give you either code to either copy/paste or embed into your site.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points