Skip navigation
jammin109
Currently Being Moderated

Audio Transition (Cross Fade) Questions - Pre 11

Jun 22, 2013 9:34 AM

I’m trying to transition between two clips of background music on the soundtrack.  Both music selections are violin & guitar instrumentals, and I want essentially to do an audio “cross dissolve” transition to blend the  two musical pieces together.

I found the “Constant Gain” and “Constant Power” cross fades under Audio Transitions, however, I’m not sure what they do or if I’m using them corectly.  When I try to apply the effect to the junction of the two clips, it attaches to only one, and the Left Clip/Between Clip/Right Clip dialog is grayed out.  (I’ve trimmed both clips so there’s plenty of head and tail room  on both).

Questions:

1. What’s the proper way to apply the cross fade audio transitions?
  2. What’s the difference between Constant Gain and Constant Power?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to jammin109

1. Whichever sounds best to you.

2.  From PPro Help:

The Constant Gain crossfade changes audio at a constant rate in and out as it transitions between clips. This crossfade can sometimes sound abrupt.

The Constant Power crossfade creates a smooth, gradual transition, analogous to the dissolve transition between video clips. This crossfade decreases audio for the first clip slowly at first and then quickly toward the end of the transition. For the second clip, this crossfade increases audio quickly at first and then more slowly toward the end of the transition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to jammin109

Along with the Audio Transitions, one can also Keyframe Volume, to accomplish about the same thing.

Depending on exactly what one wishes to have occur, the two Audio Clips can be placed on separate Audio Track, overlapped by the a bit, and then either Audio Transitions can be added, or Volume Keyframed, to have those two Clips "fade" into each other. That is usually not what most want, in most situations, but is another possibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to jammin109

I don't know about Elements, but in Pro you can put it where you want it using the "Effects Control" window (panel).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to jammin109

This is a bug in the software. Read the thread "Premier Elements 11 - audio cross fade problem - can't center between clips."  The workaround is to close the pop-up box with the X.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to jammin109

jammin109

For your convenience, the thread "Premiere Elements 11 - audio cross fade problem - Can't center between clips" can be found here at the link

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1198480?tstart=0

The workaround described by me there

close the pop-up box with the X.

worked for me and was confirmed by others in that thread.

I will be writing about Premiere Elements 11 audio transitions further and will post with additional information soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points