Skip navigation
IamRoss_93
Currently Being Moderated

Graphics card issues after updates.

Jun 22, 2013 12:36 PM

Tags: #cs6

I've recently started experimenting with the 3D capabilities of Ps CS6 so was excited for the recent update. Frustratingly this update has removed all the functionality of 3D because of the vRAM of my graphics card (256mb). I'm in no posistion to replace my laptop and am gutted that all the 3D tools are unavailable having used them perfectly well days before. Is there any way to download a version of CS6 previous to the update which still allows me to work with the 3D functionality?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to IamRoss_93

Well, seems the requirements weren’t strictly enforced right away.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5118339#5118339

You could try downloading the trial and installing that, I suppose.

What version are you using anyway?

As 13.1.x means Cloud License you are probably out of luck if you are on the cloud as opposed to a permanent license.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to IamRoss_93

the trial will only be 30 days though won't it?

I guess if the trial is still the old installer you should be able to register it and by foregoeing the updates keep it at that state.

I’m frankly not sure if you should uninstall and clean the currently installed version – hopefully someone else with more insight will chime in.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to IamRoss_93

IamRoss_93 wrote:

I've tried both CS6 13.1.2 and the new CC 14.0. ?

These are essentially the save version as regards to 3D.   You would have to go back to 13.0 to get in before the VRAM limitation was enforced.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to IamRoss_93

You would have to load the CS6 trial and not update.  If you have downloaded the trial before you are out of luck unless you can find a restore point on your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to IamRoss_93

Note that the 512 Meg VRAM limit was enforced because drivers were misbehaving with less VRAM than that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to IamRoss_93

I also think it is a bit strange that far more powerful 3d painting and modeling applications work without a hitch on 256mb vram (or even 128mb) systems, and Photoshop's 3d functionality misbehaves with less than 512mb vram. I understand that's what you get when you slap 3d on top of a 2d application that never was intended to perform well in 3d. Corners have to be cut somewhere.

On the other hand, Photoshop's 3d painting is quite limited and slow as it stands, so it is probably a better idea to use a different application that is more optimized for this task. IamRoss, try 3dCoat, Cinema4D (BodyPaint) or zBrush instead. Or for free: Blender, which is also a great 3d tool, and supports 3d painting (though not neary as powerful as the others - they're working on improving it).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Herbert2001

Those other applications are not using shaders or other parts of the API the same way Photoshop is.

No corners were cut, we just found problems with the driver code in low memory situations.

And you really might want to research your claims before posting such B.S.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points