Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Recommended Plug-ins

Jun 22, 2013 11:53 AM

I have come to a point that I would like to purchase some additional software for creating effects to my photos.  I don't really know the difference between the three I have come to consider.  I was hoping someone could give me an unbiased explanation of the plug-in software Nik, OnOne PhotoSuite7, Or the Topaz Filters.  I know this is pretty broad but I would just like some information about these or whether they are all basically the same thing just different companies.  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

It might be helpful to tell the forum exactly what type of work, you normally do in Photoshop, as a plug-in suite, that I need, might be useless to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

I'm using Silver FX for b&w photos and HDR FX for hdr photos ... and I'm very happied with them. I'm also using Color FX and Exposure 5 (Alien Skin) occasionally. Both of them are recommended. I don't know about others, but you can install the trial versions of those plug-ins and decide which one is for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 22, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Look at Topaz Adjust, On One Perfect Suite 7, and Nik filters.  You get a decent free trial period to decide if you need them or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 23, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Huskerfan29 wrote:

From what I can tell they all look to be the same basic thing by different companies....is this true?

LOL  That's not so far from the truth.  Local contrast, smoothing, hyper detail...   There are differences, but I have most ot the Topaz filters and Perfect Suite 7, and pretty much only ever use Topaz Adjust.  Topaz Simplify is useful for producing line drawings.  For instance I produced this fellow from a phoyograph using Topaz Simplify.  A little trick with this sort of thing is to fine tune with the paint brush set to Overlay.  Paint with white to remove faint detail, and black to reinforce strong detail or shading to add depth.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2773/4283742304_888ae4b6db_z.jpg?zz=1

[EDIT]  Reading what I wrote again, I should add that Topaz Adjust comes with a whole heap of presets that perform a number of different functions.  Topaz are also a nice company to work with.  All very friendly people that always answer questions.  This is the Topaz Sodtware flickr group  While you are on filckr, I suspect you could seach for Nik, Perfect Suite groups etc. to see tons of examples, and chat with other users.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points