Skip navigation
KaemoZ
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC - Terrible Mouse Performance?

Jun 22, 2013 2:16 PM

Tags: #flash #mouse #performance #slow #dragging #cc

I've tried using Flash CC - I've used Flash CS4+ and had no problems whatsoever - and I noticed there was a terrible lag between my movement and the responsiveness of Flash.

I use mainly lines, and in previous Flash versions, the lines were instantly updated towards the location I was drawing them to. In Flash CC, there's a bit of a framerate issue(?) where the line takes a second before going where my mouse is.

I assume this is an issue with Live Previews, because every single dragging operation lags on Flash CC. Drawing a square, drawing a line, anything related to pressing and moving.

Is there any way to fix this? Is this a known issue? Is there any way to disable Live Previews - if that's really the case? My computer can certainly handle these things and I'm not sure why following my cursor is so hard.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 22, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to KaemoZ

is this something you see in the flash authoring environment or during run time?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 22, 2013 10:31 PM   in reply to KaemoZ

the enviornment where you see and add code to timelines and add objects to the stage.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

Hi KaemoZ, There is no option to disable live previews. Do you have panels like info and Proprties panel in focus?

If yes, can you try minimizing these panels and see if its better?

-Sujai

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

Hi,

Please let us know your system configuration (hardware and OS details)?

Rgds

Mukesh

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 23, 2013 8:35 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

start shutting down batches of running processes to see if you can pinpoint a culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

Same here. When drawing lines in the IDE on the stage, the mouse moves the line to much or to little and sometimes snaps the line back to the previous possition. Can be frustrating when drawing. Definitely not a system mouse problem but a problem in Flash CC.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jul 11, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to Bob Wohl

make sure you don't have an of the "snap to" options enabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to kglad

That is the first thing that gets disabled in the prefferences when using Flash to draw assets since Flash MX if not Flash 5. CS6 is just fine.

Something has changed with the way that the lines render. They also join corners and treats the two lines as one line instead of keeping them as two seperate lines. Over all the line tool does not function the same as prior releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

As someone who uses the line tool for mostly everything - that and shapes, I've definitely noticed a lag when drawing on the canvas. My computer is a 2011 iMac with 12G Ram so performance really shouldn't be an issue. I've really just had it with the Adobe Flash team, they just continue to "not get it".

Adobe, you've rebuilt the program from scratch for added performance - great, fantastic. But again, you've stripped or crippled existing and absolutely useful features and bodged the responsivity of the drawing without even introducing any new tools for animators - how about some custom brushes or lines that don't render like MS Paint. NUP - just the same old clunky program with no real innovation or attention to detail. Come on, it's 2013.

Each and every year (since CS4) I've been waiting for a release that is stable enough to justifying migrating, but it just never comes. Not only that, but every release is less Mac friendly. The Flash CC GUI is atrocious, there's nothing consistent with Cocoa. No native scrollbars, layer titles and frame numbers use UGLY bitmap text for god knows what reason and there's this bizarre rectangle smeared across the menu bar that breaks the gradient in OSX. Why? Can noone else see this? It's sloppy and looks awful.

And thanks for removing Object Undo Adobe. You really don't understand your customers' needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 4:38 AM   in reply to KaemoZ

yep. Exact same problem here. Live preview of drawing lines in particular is horribly slow. A simple option to turn live preview on/off would sort this surely.

I mean... my computer is a few years old now... but come on... I'm only drawing a line. :-/

iMac 2011, 12GB RAM, OS 10.9, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256MB

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 5:01 AM   in reply to EdibleCastle

Hi,

Can you post your Flash CC version number(Flash>About Flash), OS and Language details?

Also, do you have any other adobe products insatlled on your system and if yes, do you see this issue on those as well?

-Mohan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points