Skip navigation
garymanilow
Currently Being Moderated

Screen Grab image resolution

Jun 22, 2013 3:47 PM

Hey folks...

When I do a screen grab, the dimesnions of the image are 1366 x 768. When I stick such an image in the time line, it looks blurry. Any insight?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

I assume that the 1366 x 768 is your monitor's resolution. Is that correct?

What is the Project Setting, to which you are adding that screen-cap? The Frame Size will likely be the most important.

Do you have Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements available? If you do, I would recommend using either of those, and then doing a Save_As to PSD (Photoshop's native format), instead of introducing any JPEG compression. If you do not have that capability, I would explore doing a Save_As TIFF (do not use any compression, like LZW), or even Windows BMP. While many do not see the artifacts and softening in JPEG compression, many do, and if you then are Scaling up, to say 1920 x 1080, imperfections will be more evident.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

What program is this "Fireworks" program? Is it the Adobe Fireworks which is described as a bitmap and vector graphics editor?

If I have the right program, it is said to have a better compression rate than Photoshop for jpeg, png, and gif, and it also exports TIFF, SWF, BMP, and a bunch of other formats. If so, have you looked at the TIFF from Adobe Fireworks to compare its JPEG vs TIFF in your Premiere Elements project?

How did you do the 1388 x 768 screen grab? What was its format originally?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

Save_As TIFF (do not use any compression, like LZW)

Why do you say that Bill? LZW is lossless and supported by Elements.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to nealeh

Unfortunately, Premiere does not work well with LWZ, if at all. You are correct that it is lossless, and for programs that can handle it, is a great way to go - smaller file sizes, but without a loss in quality. I only concern is whether Premiere will work properly with it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to garymanilow

The Project's Frame Size is set by the Project Preset, chosen at New Project. You are correct, that you cannot adjust that, once the Project has been created - other than to hack the PREL file, which can lead to some odd results, and is only for those who know the XML code in the PREL.

As for GIF, it is an Indexed Color Mode format, so not well-suited for Images in Video. JPEG, even with its compression, and lack of support for Transparency, is better suited when working with photographs. GIF does support Transparency, and is better, when working with Vector Art, such as maybe a logo. PNG, which does support Transparency, and also offers compression, is better than either GIF, or JPEG, but your version of Fireworks does not seem to support that.

I thought that I still had a version of Fireworks, but I suppose that it was uninstalled, as I cannot find it. Fireworks was designed to work with Raster & Vector Images, for use on the Web. It was a good editor for that purpose, but was replaced by ImageReady in Photoshop. I think that it disappeared, when Adobe bought MacroMedia - same as with the Vector editing/creating program FreeHand, as Adobe already had Illustrator. Where Fireworks' power came in, was with its great optimization for the Web, but when ImageReady was added to Photoshop, that extra support came with it. ImageReady added great Web optimization too. Again, it was designed to work with Images/Art going to the Web.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary

I am just getting back to your thread. Thanks for the follow up. If the only reason that you went to Fireworks was to resize your photo, then let me ask for a recap.

a. Given that you have a photo (screen grab) that you wanted to take into Premiere Elements 11 (please confirm since I see Hunt referring to Premiere).

What format was the screen grab before you decided to take it into Fireworks? Was it jpg or bmp or other?

b. After you get this screen grab into Premiere Elements 11 what do you want to do with it...include it in a movie or export it as a file or image sized for 1366 x 768 which I believe is 16:9?

Are you aware of the scaling that you can do in Premiere Elements via Applied Effects/Motion Panel Expanded/Scale Propertiy

and

Publish+Share/Computer/Image where you can export your 1366 x 768, using setting under the Advanced Button of the presets there.

Depending on how close or far away from what you are doing and your intent...you might consider

Importing this screen grab direct (no detours into Fireworks) into Premiere Elements 11 with the project preset that you set yourself to NTSC HDV HDV 720p30. (See File Menu/New/Project and a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this project".)

Depending on after Timeline rendering look, Field Options/Always Deinterlace.

follow that up to an export for one of the 16:9 export...Image or a video file.

Please let me know if any of the above helps.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

Now that I know that your goal is a movie containing this screen crab, the next question is what is your export goal and what else is going into this movie?

With that detail, I will go into a plan.

What key commands did you use to capture your screen...Print Screen SysRq or the Snipping Tool?

Also, please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 11 is running on.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on it, this is the first thing I would like you to look at.

If you have Windows 7, you must have the Snipping Tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snipping -tool

Please use that instead of the PrintScreen Tool to do your screen capture and save as jpg in one step.

They look great in Premiere Elements. If you have a 1920 x 1080 workflow, then, unless you do not care about black borders, you should scale your photo to fill the Edit Mode monitor established by your choice of project preset.

Have you been there and done that? Should give you sharper results that PrintScreenTool.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

I started a blog recently and have been using that snipping tool to prepare graphics for the blog posts. They look great.

Hope that works for you.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Thanks for the update.

Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 11 is running on?

If Windows, I believe it should come with some version of Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker. If you have this program, what do these jpg (from snipping tool or other) look like when imported in this program?

Also, I have something else for you to try...

a. Open Premiere Elements 11.

b. Immediately go to File Menu/New/Project and change the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Make sure to place a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project before exiting the new project dialog.

c. Then back in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, import your jpg photos via the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

d. Is there any improvement in what you see in the Edit Mode Monitor after rendering that Timeline?

As part of your troubleshooting, converting the images to PSD in Photoshop is always an option and should be tried. It will be curious to see if the .psd version is the answer. I suspect it not, but you cannot rule it in or out until you determine first hand if it works for you.

But please remind me,

(a) if you take a photo from your camera into Premiere Elements 11, what is its quality?

(b) what is the project preset of Premiere Elements 11 when you take your screen grab into it?

Thanks. Looking forward to further developments.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Here is something that I would like you to try if you have not already.

Maybe using the screenshot above...

a. Take your screen grab jpg into Premiere Elements (project preset with whatever you have been using) and, when the jpg is on the Timeline, render it to get a backline view.

b. Then apply the Sharpen video effect to the jpg (just small amount). Render it to see what the preview looks like.

As for project presets, the default for Premiere Elements 11 is

For NTSC Setup

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

or

For PAL Setup

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i25

When you import video and drag it to the Timeline as the first drag to that Timeline, the program is supposed to reset the project preset to match the properties of that video that you dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes it does so correctly, sometimes not. In the case of a photo as the first drag, you will end up with the program default of AVCHD Full HD1080i.

Assuming all jpg for the moment, I suggested the DSLR setting (which you would have do as a manual project preset set up - File Menu/New/Project) as an experiment since not so long ago at least two user claimed that was the setting for sharp results for a slideshow Timeline headed for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Let us see how the Sharpen effect works or does not work in this instance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

If you want to figure out your the project preset that was set by you or the program when you first started this current project, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and look at the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. If you have any trouble figuring out the project preset involved from that, please tell us what you read in those fields, and we will name the project preset that you have.

For transferring Timeline content between projects, you can go two different ways...the concensus seems to be favoring exporting the Timeline in one project as a Lagarith.avi file and importing it into the second project. If you are a Windows user, you can use ClipMate for copying/pasting between projects. In version 11, ClipMate seems to have a problem with transitions in the copy/paste of them from one project to another. Please refer to recent thread on both sides.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5460232#5460232

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

Am I correct that you do not have Photoshop, but instead Fireworks, and GIMP?

The reason that I ask is that Photoshop has an entire suite of Filter>Sharpen operations, that are very, very good. First, Unsharp Mask is extremely powerful, and highly useful for just the type of Sharpening that you are experimenting with. If one had CS, or later, there is also Smart Sharpen, that takes things to a whole new level.

It has been a decade, since I last used GIMP, but as I already had Photoshop, I never experimented with it too much. I never did warm to the interface, and was making good money with Ps, so finally deleted GIMP. As that was many years ago, a lot of refinements could have been added to it. If you do have it, poke around a bit, to see if it has Unsharp Mask, or even Smart Sharpen. I am certain that it is not now anywhere close to the program that I saw, all those years ago.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

I did not even realize that FireWorks was still around.

It was kind of a hybrid between Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Image Ready (dissolved into later versions of Photoshop). That link taught me something.

As for the screen-cap, why don't you create one, then attach it in an email to me info AT huntphoto DOT com, where the AT = @ and the DOT = ., with no spaces.

I will run it through Photoshop with both Unsharp Mask and Smart Sharpen, then send those back to you, so that you can test them. If you POP Account will not handle the attachments coming back, then I have a YouSendIt account, and will post there. You will then get an e-mail, with instructions on where and how to download.

If that works for you, and you do not have millions of these screen-caps, I can set up an Action, and process an entire folder full of them in minutes, and get them back to you, probably via YouSendIt.

Good luck, and just let me know,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Ten to 20 will never be an issue, at least on my end.

As POP accounts can have limits on both ends, we can do a test run. Let's start with one, and just send an e-mail, as per my munged e-dress. My POP account can handle really large attachments. If you have any questions about my e-dress, just send me a PM - click on my Profile in this thread, and to the upper-right, click on Send a Private Message. I will then give you the un-munged e-dress (too many spam'bots crawllng the forum, so I do not want to feed them).

In the e-mail's Subject Line Header, please add Adobe Premiere Elements, so that MailWasher does not send it to the trash, before I can see it.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Cool.

I will look for that, then tomorrow, will do two versions, at least, and get them back for review.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

When you and Hunt are finished with your studies, could you please indicate what Premiere Elements does to your Photoshop sharpened images once imported? Do they retain the sharpness of the originals or is the sharpness diminished as viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor as rendered files? What format are you going for .jpg, .tiff, or psd?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

How does that look on the PrE Timeline, to your eyes?

Which one was that, BTW?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Not knowing what else might need to be done, I provided PNG format Images.

Were I doing this for myself, I would have gone with PSD's.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to garymanilow

Gary,

Remember, we are allowed only ONE mistake per day - go slowly, and carefully now...

Just let us know.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers