Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Workflow Final Product Quality Question - General

Jun 22, 2013 5:45 PM

Clarification: This is just a general workflow question regardless of hardware/software/cpu/gpu. I'm also not asking about rendering times - just how the final product looks.

Do any one of the following 3 workflow methods have any bearing on the "quality" or "look/feel" of the final output of a project.

Specific effects are named in my examples just for the heck of it - the root of my question is if any given workflow with any given effects applied affects the quality of the final export/render.

#1) Raw Clip => Apply Sharpness => Apply Levels => Apply Three-Way CC => Export final product.

#2) Raw Clip => Apply Sharpness => Export Clip => Import Clip => Apply Levels => Export Clip => Import Clip => Apply Three-Way CC => Export final product.

#3) Raw Clip (sequence 1) => Apply Sharpness => Create sequence 2 and drag sequence 1 onto it => Apply Levels to sequence 2 => Create sequence 3 and drag sequence 2 onto it => apply Three-Way CC to sequence 3 => Export sequence 3 as final product.

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Jun 22, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Jim's answer is probably based on the fact that no matter what you do to a video, exporting it will degrade the quality almost every time. But that is not only acceptable, but absolutely necessary. What video would you have that did not require some adjustments, even if just a straight cut.

In any case, I think the answer you really want is:

#1 looks normal. So that's fine.

#2 will degrade the image every time you export unless you export to a completely lossless codec like Lagarith - which creates HUGE files and is totally unnecessary. It is just a bad workflow.

#3 is technically the same as #1. It's fine. No problem. In fact, it can be quite handy sometimes to work that way. Nesting does not cause the problems that exporting does.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Jun 22, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Jim?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Oops.

I swear I though it was Jim. He is inclined to answer that way.

My sincere apologies.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Jun 22, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to Cadillacula

You only asked one question.

"Do any one of the following 3 workflow methods have any bearing on the "quality" or "look/feel" of the final output of a project."

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 7:00 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Are you sure Jim hasn't hacked Joe's Adobe account?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points