Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Since Server Behaviors were removed, is there something else Adobe assumes we'll use for DB?

Jun 23, 2013 12:03 AM

Is DB interaction somehow no longer a standard part of a data driven website? Or were the old server behaviors somehow so inelegant that they made something new and I'm just not seeing it?

I was about to pull the trigger on a CC subscription, then figured I'd do the trial first. Glad I did.  No way I'm paying for this.  Even with their "deprecated behavior" extension bringing it back, this only signals to me that it will eventually be gone entirely.  Just like when I paid for Developers Toolbox only to have them make it non-functional past CS4.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to jmynatt251

jmynatt251 wrote:

Is DB interaction somehow no longer a standard part of a data driven website? Or were the old server behaviors somehow so inelegant

The old server behaviours did not keep pace with future development. Ask Adobe why they didn't see this coming and do something about it. It's the biggest oversight in DW's history and Adobe will pay heavily for it, rest assured they are sh*tting their pants right now.

Personally I migrated away from the behaviours a few months ago and now use a manual approach, which in fairness to Adobe is not that difficult to learn but for some I do understand (unlike the tossers at Adobe) they want database integration simplified and partially automated. I mean inserting a table on a page manually is not difficult so why don't Adobe just remove that feature too.

DW CC is now half the program is was regardless of all the rubbish that they are trying to offer you to paper over the cracks.

jmynatt251 wrote:

I was about to pull the trigger on a CC subscription, then figured I'd do the trial first. Glad I did.  No way I'm paying for this.  Even with their "deprecated behavior" extension bringing it back, this only signals to me that it will eventually be gone entirely.  Just like when I paid for Developers Toolbox only to have them make it non-functional past CS4.

Hopefully more people will think like you and then maybe Adobe will take note instead of burying their heads in the sand.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to osgood_

Hi Osgood, all

Thank you for your feedback. As I said earlier, everything that I see on social platforms gets reported. So, thank you again.

About tables, we decided to retain them because we did not have an alternative for e-mail Newsletters. And until we have a better option, we are going to retain them. We removed Expanded Tables Mode and brought it back after user feedback.

As stated in a previous post, the idea is to evolve Dreamweaver into a software that provides best support for the current and emerging standards in web technologies. To keep DW light on its feet, we will be leveraging strengths of other software in the Adobe Creative Cloud and our partners in this space.

Just to reiterate, you can have the best of both worlds by running Dreamweaver CS6 and CC in parallel.

Having said that, I beg your patience until we publish our post that will cover feedback we have received from various quarters.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to jmynatt251

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to jmynatt251

Luckily the version of Dreamweaver I bought 7 years ago still works and with extensions from places like DMXZone

I guess that you did not bother to read my post and follow the video.

Your bad luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to jmynatt251

jmynatt251 wrote:

osgood_ wrote:

Personally I migrated away from the behaviours a few months ago and now use a manual approach, which in fairness to Adobe is not that difficult to learn 

If I wanted to do it manually, I wouldn't be using a tool in the first place.

I don't disagree with you. Personnaly I think its an apalling oversight by the people who make these decision at Adobe. It's their head which should be on a stick. I can quite understand why people buy software to make it quicker and easier to do certain aspects of development. The server behaviours for them ARE an integral part of why they would continue to use DW. They have not been completey remove in CC you can reinstate them and contine on as usual.

Now the question is whether or not Adobe is committed to replacing them in the long term with something newer or not.  If they aren't they will have to wait  and see what the concequences of not doing so is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to jmynatt251

They removed this functionality because it's antiquated, but antiquated compared to what?

PHP offers three different APIs to connect to MySQL:

1. MySQL
    2. MySQLi
    3. PDO

It is recommended to use either the mysqli or PDO_MySQL extensions. It is not recommended to use the old mysql extension for new development, as it has been deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0 and will be removed in the future.

As you can see, this is not a DW issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 6:52 PM   in reply to jmynatt251

I totally agree. It is very disappointing.

I am waiting on Webassist and/or other suppliers of extensions  to see what they are going to come up with. In the meantime I can still use CC.

You may want to purchase David Powers' book called PHP Solutions Dynamic Web Design Made Easy, Second Edition for ways to connect to the MySQL database.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to jmynatt251

Hello,

First and foremost thank you for your feedback and using our extensions. We're currently working on some great new technology that will make database interaction possible in DW CC. The first version is coming live this week on Wednesday but we already posted a preview - http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21853/html5-data-bindings-coming-next-week/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 8:07 PM   in reply to DMXzone.com

Thanks for this thread, now I know I'm not as crazy as I thought. I've been out of the loop, jumping to CC for CS4, so while surprised, I felt sure there were just some other new things I needed to get up to speed on.

But we should have seen it coming. Removing server behaviors really impacts those of us who rely on extensions in our work. But while we were so excited to get these extensions and all the features they offered, we missed the Adobe never ever upgraded their own versions of the behaviors - record inserts, updates and the like. They haven't changed  since UD 4. On the other hand, no one has built a better Recordset, just no need for it.

No offense to DMXZone, but I'm a WebAssist person. If I were either of these companies I would be thinking one thing - build my own editor, complete with my own extensions. Think about it Adobe - we're willing to pay more for the extensions than what DW sells for. So, we use DW because it supports these extensions, not because of DW itself.

So of all the DW customers out there, what's the breakdown - who uses the built in behaviors, who uses third party extensions and who does it manually? If you find that the hard-core hand coders are in the minority, then you'd be better off not just by re-including server behavoirs, but improving them

Just, please let us CC subscribers know in advance when the update is coming out that no longer supports server behaviors, so at least we'll know not to perform that particular update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Lon Winters

We actually just released our DMXzone Database Connector! Now you can finally access your databases with very powerful new technology combining the easy data binding on your page with the HTML5 Data Binding extension and instant, but sophisticated Database Access!

A great replacement of the old server behaviors technology to create new dynamic web apps built the Ajax way!

The Database Connector features a great Database Connection Wizard, fully visual Query Builder to make your work a breeze.

It is available for PHP as well ASP

For PHP see http://www.dmxzone.com/go/22072/dmxzone-database-connector-php

for ASP : http://www.dmxzone.com/go/22084/dmxzone-database-connector-asp

You will also need the free HTML5 Data Bindings extension:

http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21863/html5-data-bindings

Welcome to the next chapter of Dreamweaver history - building dynamic, data oriented web apps in a new whole new way!

Greetings,

George Petrov

DMXzone.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to DMXzone.com

What took you so long! 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

We just wanted you to have the best database access technology available! and I think we've succeeded

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to DMXzone.com

At least someone cares for us. Thank you, thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

So if Adobe is removing functionality in the software, why isn't the price going down?  The suggested add-ons are also additional cost.  Paying $600.00/year for incomplete software seems like a rip-off.  Once I stop paying, I lose everything.  At least give me software that I don't have to pay for add-ons.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to DMXzone.com

George -

I do really like your products and own at least two in my arsenal. The main reason why I gravitated more towards WA was that I was a subscriber to the extension library when they had it. When that was discontinued, they offered the suite fo current subscribers at a price just too good to pass up. However, since then, I've been financially unable to purchase not only the upgraded versions, but any addditional extensions from anywhere! 

I appreciate that you have continued to support ASP, even though I have migrated to PHP mostly.

I would really love to own the jquery tooltip extension. DW used to include the Spry tooltip, but CC does not include the jquery version. Still, even if it were included in CC, I'm sure it would only include the basic functinality, and not what the extension offers. (I did post a thread on how to implement the tool tip from from scratch from downloading the files directly from the jquery site, but haven't plunged in to it yet).

So what's teh story on building an editor? Seems like everyone is quiet about this. It just seems the logical thing to do. Wouldn't it take a lot less resrouces instead of constantly trying to keep up with these "incremental updates" from Adobe. Here's what I would like:

1. Basic - Design and Layout with an acutal useful CSS editing tool. I sort of like what CC did with the CSS visual editing tools, but find it more diffucult to use than the old one. The old one is still there, which I seem to only be able to access when inserting a new DIV. With the new editor, i have trouble with certain things, say, changing a margin. The value highlights but because of the colors, I can't see the number until I take off the focus. If we're going to have a visual editor, why not just apply it to the actual page? Selecting the DIV will actually not only select it in the document, but place transform handles. Select the attribute with a context menu, then a tooltip displays the values as they change.

2. Dynamic - includes the above with a basic set of extensions and server behaviors

3. Complete - includes all extensions!! 

4. Mobile - an editor with only what's needed for mobile apps. Depending on how much ovrrlap there is, I can see this as a separate application. It seems to me that it's the desktop developers are the ones who have moved into app development, not web developers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points