Skip navigation
Kanrio
Currently Being Moderated

Flash crashes before it even starts up

Jun 23, 2013 2:13 AM

Tags: #crash #startup #startup_error #crash_on_start

Problem:

Flash crashes upon startup preventing me from getting anything done.

Details:

When I run Flash, it displays the red-and-orange logo in the center of the screen. Below "Fl" and "Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5" it says which step of startup it's on. It runs past the first few fairly quickly, slows down at "Initializing Fonts", and stops at "Building workspace". Then Windows gives me an error message saying "Adobe Flash CS5.5 has stopped working. WIndows is looking for a solution to the problem...". It can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I updated from 11.5.0 to 11.5.2, but the problem persists unchanged.

Specifications:

Windows 7

Adobe Flash Proffesional CS5.5 11.5.2

Notes:

Photoshop works fine for me, and I can sign into my Adobe account. I haven't been using flash for a very long while (I was thinking about making something over summer vacation), so I have no idea when the problem originated.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 23, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Kanrio

there are a number of programs that can cause flash to crash and you should shutdown running processes to start pinpointing the culprit. 

anything the uses or edits mm.cfg is especially suspicious (eg, the flash debug player and flashfirebug).  corrupt fonts are also problematic, at least, on a mac.

i know you're using windows but i would still run a font checker.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 23, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to Kanrio

open C:/users/<your name>

if you see an mm.cfg file, open it in a plain text editor, copy its contents and paste here.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 25, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Kanrio

there's a difference between a program closing and a program crashing.  can you tell which is happening?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Kanrio

Hi Kanrio,

Can you post a text of the error message, or a screenshot of what you see?

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to Kanrio

I have the same problem.  I try to start Flash Professional 5.5 and it crashes on start.  Today is the first time I have tried to use it and everything else in my web premium package seems to work fine.  This is the first time I have tried to use it since buying it but online support won't talk to me since it is no longer the newest edition.  I seems to crash while initializing tools.  I have looked through the forums and tried the different options offered.  I wen to the configuration file in AppData to delete the fontfile contents but I don't have a fontfile file.  I checked that I have the latest java version and I do.  My system also seems to crash  the flash player quite often though I don't know if that's related or not.  That may be a problem in itself.  At any rate I would like to use Flash Professional sometime and check it out.  Does anyone here have any suggestions.  I saw one that said to get process explorer and make a mini dump which I have done.  The link it gave was to a form that won't be answered and did not have an option to attach the link and wouldn't let me copy and paste it so I am at a loss.  I had to run the process explorer while it was in the process of opening and crashing as that is the only time it would show up.  I hope someone can help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 4:17 PM   in reply to Kanrio

Hey Kanrio,

Have you got any more useful info on how this was fixed?

I have the exact same problem. Flash opens ok, except a particular Flash CS5.5 working file wont for some reason.

Any additional info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points