Skip navigation
David Ray Mitchell
Currently Being Moderated

No Sound from Audio

Jun 23, 2013 7:19 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11_audio

I am importing .avi files. The clips have sound associated with them when played back on Windows Media Player, but when I import clips into a PE11 project there is no sound. When I drag a clip into the timeline the Audio1 track appears to show that audio is present but there is no sound. Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

AVIs can use any of thousands of audio and video codecs, only a few of which are compatible with video editors.

Is this AVI captured from a miniDV camcorder over a FireWire connection?

if it's from any other source, or from a FRAPS or conversion program, you'll need to open the file in a program like G Spot Video Codec or Media Info and list the audio and video codec, frame rate and resolution it displays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

I strongly suggest, that for the first step in the troubleshooting, you take Steve's advice of using a utility like G-Spot, or MediaInfo (links in the first article, that John T. links to), and report on what the Audio is.

Next, on the Audio Stream in your Clip, there is a little orange/yellow line (the "rubberband"), that by default, will be showing Volume for the Audio portion. Is that line up near the top of that Clip? Also, when you zoom on the Timeline, do you see the Audio's Waveform display?

Then, open the Audio Mixer, and check that that Audio Track is not Muted, or has its slider attenuated to greatly reduce the Volume.

Last, I would Import a "known good" Audio file, maybe one of the system WAV files, and test that you can hear that in PrE. If not, then you will probably need to make adjustments to the program's Preferences to get Audio playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

David Ray Mitchell,

From what you wrote, it sounds like you are putting DV AVI Standard or Standard Widescreen Timeline expert view. DV AVI has been a native format for Premiere Elements so I am surprised to learn of your issue.

Have you gone through the program's audio settings (Audio Hardware/ASIO) under settings as well as the Playback Settings accessed by right clicking the Monitor? Also, have you checked the Volume setting under Adust/Adjustments/Volume and Audio Mixer?

Are you getting sound for video/audio files other than these DV AVI files?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

David Ray Mitchell

The DV AVI type 1 caught my attention in your gspot readout. Premiere Elements works with DV AVI Type 2 but can work with DV AVI Type 1 most of the time. I am wondering if this is one of those times.

How about giving this a try. Download and install the free utlitity name DV Date and convert one of your .avi files into DV AVI type 2 and determine if that has any impact on your situation.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

If you want to check out the program's audio settings: Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click on ASIO.

I have not used DV DATE in a while so let me go check that out. I still have it installed on my computer.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

That G-Spot could not find any Audio in that file is troublesome. That WMP plays the Audio is interesting too.

Do not know exactly how the Corel program does the capture, but with miniDV tape via FireWire, it should be pretty standard PCM/WAV Audio @ 48KHz 16-bit, and that should play perfectly in PrE.

Now, when you Import the file into PrE, the program will need to Conform the Audio to 32-bit floating point for accurate editing. This process creates the CFA (Conformed Audio) and PEK (Waveform Display) files. Obviously, you do not have a PEK file, or if so, then it is showing flatline, i.e. no Audio. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

I would first check in the Project's Media Cache folder (located where you specified in Edit Preferences>Scratch Disks), to see if you have both a CFA and PEK file, with the same file name, as that of your Clip. If so, with PrE closed, Delete those two files. Launch PrE, and let it complete the regeneration of the CFA and PEK files. Note: if you do not see file extensions in Windows Explorer, you will need to turn file extension display ON, in Control Panel>Folder Options.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

It is disappointing that gspot gave no readout for audio when the DV AVI Type 1 was run through it. But, I suspect that you may be going down the wrong road with that one.

Reason...

I took a DV AVI Type 2 with sound into Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

Ran gspot, got a readout for both Audio and Video.

Then I took the DV AVI Type 2 into DV Date and converted it to DV AVI Type 1.

When I ran that through gspot, there was no readout for Audio. The DV AVI Type 1 had sound at Windows Media Player playback.

I took the DV AVI Type 1 .into Premiere Elements 11 and got play back of video and audio just fine.

So, I have no evidence for DV AVI Type 1 not being compatible with Premiere Elements 11. And, I do not feel that the absence of the Audio data in David's and my case has hit the cause yet, including my idea of DV AVI Type 2 vs 1.

ATR

MediaInfo Readout

MediaInfo.JPG

gspot readout

gspot.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Wonder if MediaInfo will get to the Audio in that problem file? I find that for many file formats, it does a better job "getting inside," than does G-Spot.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Meantime, I've NEVER heard of a miniDV camcorder producing incompatible video or audio when the video was captured over a FireWire connection by Premiere Elements.

It could be that capturing with VideoStudio is causing problems -- though miniDV capture is fairly universal and usually doesn't change the video or audio data in any way. Though I'd very much consider ATR's point that it's apparently being captured as Type 1 rather than the more universal Type 2. That can certainly be a major issue!

It might not -- but it can.

Have you tried recapturing any of this video with Premiere Elements (which catpures as Type 2) just to see if it is the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

I wonder if the issue could be with the program, used to do the Capture? Per David's Reply #4:

I'm using Videostudio (Ulead/Corel) to capture on the laptop, but have just purchased PE11 for the new desktop.

With a Capture via FireWire in PrE, I completely agree with you - never have seen any issue with either Video, or Audio, but I just do not know VideoStudio, and exactly what/how it Captures.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

I think that I have figured out where that DV AVI Type 1 is coming from....it is from the DV data capture firewire using Video Studio. That program gives the user a choice in the capture settings...DV Type 1 or DV Type 2. Apparently David is selecting DV Type 1. I would like to see that Video Studio capture firewire done with the DV Type 2 option instead of the DV Type 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUjvGt9qiiU

I did not realize that DV data could be captured via firewire as anything other than DV Type 2.

Looking forward to ruling this factor in or out of the matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Good call, ATR!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

No, that won't work. You'll need either a true FireWire port or a FireWire Express Card.

Fortunately, on desktops, FireWire cards are cheap and easy to install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

But another option is to download VirtualDub, a free video processor.

If you open your Type 1 AVI in VirtualDub and just do a Save As, the program will save it as a Type 2 AVI.

You can try this with one file to see if it fixes your audio issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

What would be the pros and cons of VirtualDub versus DV Date for the DV Type 1 to DV Type 2.

Also, I would still like to see the results from David actually doing the DV data capture firewire from VIdeo Studio using its setting for DV Type 2 to make sure that there is nothing else going on when just this setting is changed from DV Type 1 to DV Type 2.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I don't know. I guess it's worth experimenting.

Although it would seem to me that there should be no difference whatsoever in using DV Date or VirtualDub to convert a type 1 AVI to a type 2.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

Given the results of your tests (thanks for reporting them, by the way), I would suggest redoing the Capture to DV-AVI Type II. Conversions can cause other problems down the line. I use them sort of as a "last resort."

Of course you have to weight the time to redo the Capture vs the time for conversion. Also, Virtual Dub is a respected program, and I do not recall reading of issues, when it is used, so you might be just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edited to correct error in file format - DV-AVI Type II, rather than the originally stated MPEG-2 Type II.]

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to David Ray Mitchell

David Ray Mitchell

Thanks for the follow up and DV Type 2 choice for the DV data capture firewire.

Have you seen the following online mini article on DV Type 1 and 2?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd407250%28v=v s.85%29.aspx

The DV Type 1 vs 2 issue popped up a few versions back when users could not use the Project Archiver Copy option to archive projects that had DV AVI type 1 in its Timeline. The answer was to convert from type 1 to 2. That is when I used DV Date for that conversion. As I recall, this particular issue disappeared in later versions. In these cases the DV AVI type 1 was coming from as exports from Windows Movie Maker for the most part.

I have never used Virtual Dub for the conversion as suggested by SG, just DV Date. The DV Date was what I used for the Project Archiver issue.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

The DV Type 1 vs 2 issue popped up a few versions back when users could not use the Project Archiver Copy option to archive projects that had DV AVI type 1 in its Timeline.

That is useful info, and a problem that I do not recall reading about. Thanks.

The biggest issue that I know of with Type I has been a propensity for the Audio to go OOS (Out Of Sync). As the non-Live, older version of Windows Movie Maker could only output Type I, that issue was seen with some regularity. Did not know about the Project Archiver issue.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

As the non-Live, older version of Windows Movie Maker could only output Type I

Bill, there seems to be an inference there that the newer 'Live' version can output Type 2. The last time I used the Live version I thought they had completely removed DV-AVI output. Is my memory wrong or have they added it back?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

That was not my intention. It is my understanding that the Live versions will only output to WMV.

In the non-Live versions, prior to WMM Live, one had WMV, or DV-AVI Type I, IIRC.

Usually, those DV-AVI Type I's Imported fine, but the Audio could then be OOS. Again, from memory, that OOS was static, so easily fixed, by nudging the Audio back into sync. I do not recall it being dynamic, which requires a bit more work.

Now, there could well be newer versions of WMM, that have added, or removed output options. I have not stayed current on what it can, and cannot do. You and others know that program, and their variations far better, than I do, so I am always ready to be corrected, or educated.

Thank you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points