Skip navigation
Mig1107
Currently Being Moderated

Serious error has occurred

Jun 23, 2013 7:36 AM

Tags: #shut_down #serious_error

When trying to start a project in Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0, i receive the following message: "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down". After that, the working area turns into blank but, the menus stay visible. Any suggestions to solve this situation? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Mig1107

What operating system are you using? Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the optional updates that don't install automatically?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive(s)?

Version 9 is over three years old. Is this the first time you've had it out of the box? Did it work in the past? On this computer or on a different computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Mig1107

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's questions and suggestions, this FAQ Entry might be useful too: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to Mig1107

Several of the more recent, active, live-scan anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-anything, have created many problems.

When editing, I turn OFF all such programs, and just have zero Internet presence, while editing, and do NOT do any e-mails, until done, with a reboot.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

With a good Windows 7 set-up, like yours, Mig, you shouldn't  need to turn off any background processes or internet or e-mails. Your quad core should be able to do all of these things at the same time without working up a sweat!

Though clearly something is interfering with the program.

And I'm assuming you've tried running Premiere Elements 9 in XP compatibility mode to see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, if you open up your Task Manager, how many processes does it show as running?

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and clean the registry with a program like Ccleaner?

Meantime, I'd also recommend you try uninstalling McAfee and replace it with Security Essentials (a free download from Microsoft). See if that makes a difference. (It sure might! McAfee and Norton are often at the center of program problems.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

With the issues that arise from active, real-time scanning anti-whatever software, I would be wary of such programs running, while editing. Many will lock files, one both read, or write, until the program completes the scan.

If they are the only anti-virus/anti-malware programs on a computer, then I would hesitate to have any Internet presence, or do much e-mail work, with them OFF.

Were I needing anti-virus/anti-malware protection, while editing, I would look into more benign programs to provide that protection, rather than the active, real-time scanning applications.

Just my way of thinking,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Mig1107

Excellent, Miguel!

Meantime, I would very seriously consider dumping McAfee for free, worry-free, auto-updating Microsoft Security Essentials!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points