Skip navigation
tom_paf
Currently Being Moderated

Sorting Pictures in an Album in PSE11

Jun 23, 2013 8:36 AM

Tags: #organizer #photoshop_elements_11

Hi all

in PSE9 I could sort an album by date of the picure and then afterwards change locations of single pictures. This was extremely convinient to me. Now I upgraded to PSE11 and I can sort pictures in an album either by date or album order. But if I sort by date, I cant use this as start and only change locations of single pictures afterwards. If I want to do my own order, I need to start from scratch, use the initial order of the album and mover almost every picture.

Do I miss anything or is this functionality from PSE9 really simply gone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to tom_paf

I do hope that the next version of PSE will bring easier sorting features in albums... especially alphabetical sort.

My workaround to be able to start a new 'custom' order from one of the default options (new, old, import...) would be :

- Select the album and use the new starting order, 'newest' for instance,

- Then create a new album (click the '+'sign and fill the dialog appearing in the right panel)

- select all the files (Ctrl A) in the old album and drag them into the newly created album.

- Select the new album, select 'album order' and start moving the files around.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 11:28 PM   in reply to tom_paf

Another way :

- Assign a new keyword to all the files in the album.

- leave the album view and show the files selected with the above keyword

- set the order to newest or oldest

- move all the selected files (Ctrl A) into a new album.

Bottom line : the main difference between a selection based on a keyword and an album is that the album order is saved in the database. Note that outside of the organizer (in the explorer for instance), there is no way to apply a custom order. You only have the default choice of the explorer (including alphabetical sort). The only way to show a custom order in the explorer would be to rename all the files with sequential names. That's something you can do from your custom sorted album : either by renaming or exporting with the 'rename' options.

Another difference between keywords and albums is that you can store keywords into the file headers (or sidecar files), but the sort order is only saved in the database; it's similar to a 'playlist' for music. That's why you don't get your order back if you re-import your files in a new catalog, even if the keywords are saved. You need to use the backup/restore function of the organizer or to restore the catalog separately.

When you don't need a particular sort order, keywords are the way to go.

If you want to share your custom order with other softwares outside of the organizer, use your album and export or rename your files in sequential order.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points