Skip navigation
Spif45
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 11 - Limited Colour Settings

Jun 23, 2013 9:25 AM

I used to use a Windows XP computer with Photoshop 6 and an Epson RX500 Photo printer calibrated with a Spyder 2 device. Using Photoshop 6's Colour settings, I was able to achieve practically perfect matching prints from the monitor image. Wishing to update to what I thought would be a good package, I purchased an Apple iMac Mountain Lion,  Photoshop Elements 11, (I don't need a lot of what the latest full Photoshop contains) and a Spyder 4 Express calibrator, (Spyder 2 would not work). Still using my Epson RX500, I have updated the necessary drivers from both Apple and Epson.

Using Elements, when I click Colour Settings, I get none of the choices I used to have. All I get is the option to use No Colour Management, Always Optimise Colours for Monitor Screen, Always Opitmise for Printing and Allow Me to Choose. I get some other choices after clicking Print but no where near the choices I had before. As a result, my printing results are atrocious whichever of the limited settings I use. Printing on Plain or Matte paper is especially poor being completely washed out.

Could anyone please confirm to me that Elements does not have all the Photoshop 6 colour settings please? I am confused by Adobe's explanation of the differences between the two. Perhaps I need to get rid of Elements and buy the full version.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Spif45

Optimize for screens = Limited color settings = sRGB

Optimize for printing = Full Color Management = Adobe RGB

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to Spif45

Unlike Photoshop, PSE does not have CMYK support.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 24, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Yes, I was assuming that like many posters here, when you wrote "Photoshop 6" you meant "Photoshop Elements 6". PS and PSE are very different animals when it comes to color management.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points