Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need in-person technical support, Denton, TX

Jun 23, 2013 11:09 AM

I have been struggling with Premiere Elements daily for about six weeks.  Virtually nothing works as expected.  I have completed training.  I have asked here.  I have used the Adobe Chat feature.  I have reinstalled the software.  I have optimized my hard drive.  (I have no problems editing videos with Windows Movie Maker Live with this same computer.)

I have to assume there is something wrong with my hardware configuration or the way the PE11 is set up on my computer.  (Either that or PE11 is crap, and I'm really leaning towards this latter explanation.)

How do I find someone who can help me in person?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Try a local high school or college.

Some colleges have courses. 

Some communities have computer clubs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

I do not know this person, but his LinkedIn profile came up in several searches for certified Adobe professionals and teachers. It appears that he is active in Dallas-area Adobe User Groups, so might be a good resource?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ajwood

I would also check with Texas Women's College (name might have changed, since my wife interviewed for her post-graduate work), as they are close, and might have worthwhile classes (either for credit, or adult-education) that use PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Not sure if you have seen this resource, and it is not directly what you asked for, but our MOD here, Steve Grisetti, has published a great book, The Muvipix Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (available from Amazon, or Muvipix), that covers the program extensively. He also has a great appendix in that book, that addresses computers, OS's and other hardware, for running PrE. I cannot recommend that book too highly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

Sorry things have not gotten better.

Are you still in warranty with the manufacturer of your computer setup? Or, is there a local computer shop that can give your computer a workout.

I have many versions of Premiere Elements on my computer and have smooth workflows from SD to HD (DVD to AVCHD to Blu-ray). I am still fighting my way through those Titler Styles, so maybe that the exception.

Have you excluded your choice of source media as the major cause of the problem or are you having problems with Premiere Elements photos, videos from iPhone as well as camcorder cameras?

At this point, I agree that you need in person independant look at your situation.

Do you have access to more than the computer that you are working on now? Maybe a friend would let you install your Premiere Elements on his her computer and see if you run into the same issues facing you now. Maybe your son has friends that might help in this regard.

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

I forgot to ask. When you were in contact with Adobe Chat, did it give you a link to any Adobe Technical Service group that could remotely look at your Premiere Elements 11 in your specific computer environment?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Many of the instructors at schools will work privately on their own time for one-on-one tutoring and computer consultation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to Peru Bob

Online instruction is easy to find. But you're looking for technical advice, right? That's very different -- and it can be very challenging -- and expensive.

Are you willing to pay someone an hourly rate to fix it for you?

That's not meant to sound dismissive. It's just that technical problems running this program are often unique to your  computer, and it can take some serious troubleshooting to fix it.

Meantime, you don't say what operating system you're working with, how old your computer is, how fast the processor is or how much RAM you have. If it's a Windows machine, have you manually gone to Windows Update and installed the non-critical updates that don't install automatically? Have you got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

It's also to your advantage to run a Disk Cleanup as well as run  a registry cleaner with a program like CCleaner.

And, if you have Norton or McAfee software installed, they also can contribute to your problems.

As you can see, it's no simple process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:27 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindy,

Great news!

Now, if you DID Delete your Prefs file, as ATR instructed, and it became instantly corrupted, I would survey your I/O sub-system, I.e. your HDD's, in case there is some issue there, that is causing corruption.

Some Adobe users seem to need to refresh their Prefs files often (used by several Adobe programs), but in 20 years of heavy use, I have had to do so only once in Photoshop, and that was when another program crashed my system during a Save, and have never had to do so with any version of Premiere (the original Premiere, Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements). Maybe I have just been very lucky. Pref files can become corrupt, but not all that often - I would fear that something was wrong somewhere.

1.  The support rep didn't charge me the $39.  I asked him how I was supposed to pay, and he said, no charge.  I have no idea why.

That was a kind gesture, and I am glad to hear of it. I know that Adobe has been working on both Customer Support and Technical Support, so perhaps that tech rep was trying to do their part. Good news.

2.  About a week ago, a support rep on chat told me that PE11 didn't work with the iPhone.  So I've been jumping through hoops to reformat my files before bringing them in to PE11.  After deleting the preference file, PE11 worked with my .mov file (iPhone 5 video) just fine.  Go figure.

Where iPhone footage CAN be an issue, is if the device uses Variable Frame-Rates, when recording. I first started seeing that, with the iPhone 4S (could have been before, but I did not read of it), and then more with the iPhone 5. Personally, I do not know when the Variable Frame-Rate is invoked - maybe when shooting high-motion, that then slows, or stops? Maybe others can tell you more about the devices?

If your iPhone footage is NOT Variable Frame-Rate, then PrE should have no issues with it. Just remember to shoot in Landscape Mode, and not Portrait.

Many users, with iPhone 5's, have found that if they Open their Variable Frame-Rate footage in Apple's QuickTime Pro (a US$ 29 upgrade/unlock), then Export to MOV or MP4 w/ the H.264 CODEC, that resultant footage will be a Constant Frame-Rate, and will then Import fine, into PrE. There are probably other workflows, but the QT Pro method has become popular with the PrPro crowd.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Thank you for sharing your video w/ Oden. I think that it was here, but could have been on Muvipix.com, but another PrE user did horse training, though I think with draft horses. IIRC, she was based in the UK.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

Thanks for the follow up with the good news. I am very pleased for your progress and extend my compliments to Adobe for resolving the issues that you encountered when trying to use Premiere Elements 11 Windows as your video editor. It did a good job from a program and customer perspective.

I am reluctant to buy into instantly corrupted preferences after preferences deletion explanation under the circumstances. And, this may bring up an excellent troubleshooting regimen for all moving forward.

However you want to define what needs to be done for whatever problem that defies definition, deletion of those Premiere Elements preferences files has been the answer many times to resolve issues that defy remedies or other explanations. Typically I go through the same drill, for Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, the route to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to be deleted is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Recently I was in a thread here where an Adobe Help person Vipul Vaibhav suggested deletion of preferences as a remedy for whatever the problem was in that thread. But, in that case, Vipul Vaibhav used deletion of the whole 11.0 Folder instead of just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file inside the Folder. I asked for the pros and cons. This is an excerpt of the explanation that I got:

"Ideally deleting just the prefs file does the job.

But there are other cache files as well which might get

corrupt. The folder gets recreated with every launch.

If the user has custom workspaces or any custom items, then it's

advisable to just delete the Adobe Premiere Elements prels file.

Else we can trash the whole folder as it will get recreated on

next launch."

With all that said, do you remember if Adobe Technical Service had you delete the whole 11.0 Folder or just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file?

As for video with variable frames rates, my iPod Touch 4th Generation 730p (up to 30 frames per second, variable frame rate) video gives be high quality video without issues (video or audio) in Premiere Elements 11 and earlier versions. I do not get out of sync audio, and I do not need to buy QuickTime Pro.

I watched your video and enjoyed it. By the way, how are you doing on those Text Styles, saving styles, and setting defaults there?

Thanks for the opportunity to try to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:49 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Interesting, as most users with an iPhone, using Variable Frame-Rate, have had issues in both PrE and PrPro. Your experience seems to be in the minority.

What exactly are you doing with that Variable Frame-Rate material, that so very many others are not doing?

Just curious,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Just using it successfully so far in Premiere Elements.

When it comes to minority and majority, you got to figure that the Adobe Forums and others like it are going to see as the majority  those with problems and that lots of us without issues with variable frame rate video are not going to write in just to tell us "no problem".

But, I have worked mostly with iPod Touch 4th generation 720p (with variable frame rate...up to 30 frames per second) and iPhone 5 video in a limited way in Premiere Elements 11 and have had "no problem".

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

Thanks for the reply.

I guess we will proceed with those preferences as indicated in a particular troubleshooting scheme.

I admire your stick-to-it-tiveness.

I will see if I figure out the riddle of those Styles. More on that another time.

Right now let us enjoy the great news that you did great and are moving forward in your projects.

Best wishes

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

I'm still not sure why you're having these problems, Cindy. I have no problems importing video from Apple mobile devices with Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras.

I assume you've followed our earlier suggestions to make sure everything has been manually updated on your computer (not trusting Windows Update to do it for you), so I'm not sure what's up.

And I guess I'm neither hapless nor getting screwed. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindy,

Interesting developments, and thank you for the observations.

I do not recall reading of an attempt to Import any footage, corrupting the Prefs file. That is both odd, and scary.

Do you happen to have Apple's QT Pro?

If not, then as a test, can you pick a short iPhone video file, and attach it in an e-mail to me: info AT huntphoto DOT com. Obviously that e-dress will use the @ and the . in place of "AT" and "DOT," and not contain spaces?

I will Open that file in QT Pro, and Export that footage to MP4 w/ the H.264 CODEC. If other users are correct, that output file will then have a Fixed Frame Rate. I will e-mail that file back to you, and you can test Importing that file into PrE. If your e-mail POP server cannot handle large attachments, I will then upload the "converted" file to YouSendIt, and you will get an e-mail with instructions on where to go to download that converted file.

Since I have not worked with iPhone footage (though my wife does have a 4S), I am working from the reported experiences of other Premiere users.

I think that it is worth a test, and we will all keep our fingers X'ed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Thank you for that information. Seems that you and ATR are not having any issues with iPhone/iPad Variable Frame-Rate material, which is good to know. However, many others, with both PrE and PrPro are having issues, though I have never seen the Prefs corrupted, like in Cindy's case.

Wonder what the "variable" [no pun intended] is?

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Without knowing all the details, it could be related to updates to iOS or the latest version of the iPhone.

After all, we know how many problems Apple's Retina display caused for existing software!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Cindyg22

Cindyg22

I am not sure if I missed the information in the last several posts in your thread, but what happens if you download your iPhone 5 video to a computer hard drive save location and then bring it into Premiere Elements 11 Windows via its Add Media/Files and Folders instead of the route that goes through the Video Importer?

Do the problems persist or is everything working?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Cindyg22

Meantime, is it at all possible, Cindy, for you to post a sample clip from your photo to Dropbox or a similar site (NOT YouTube or Vimeo, because they change the footage format) so that we can see if it works on your computers?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points